Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone started pre-op diet with band surgeon then switched to sleeve?

I'm one month into my pre-op supervised 6-month diet with a band surgeon's office. I have decided to switch to the sleeve. That probably means I will have to start over with the diet right?

Also, has anyone done the 3-month multidisciplinary program? I have Aetna and they say either a 6-month supervised diet or a 3-month supervised diet and exercise program where you have to prove the exercise. I'm wondering if going to a gym counts for this or would I have to actually hire a personal trainer? Any experience or insight is appreciated!

Does your program only do band?

I started 2 years ago, wanting the band. My surgeon wanted me to lose 85 lbs before surgery. I lost 50, and he wasn't satisfied and wouldn't schedule surgery. In that time I've changed my mind and my mind is made up, I'm getting sleeved! I switched surgeons and I was asked to lose 30 lbs before surgery. I had to do all my pre-op tests, labs and psych consults etc all over again.

If you can get a personal trainer, I highly recommend it. Having a trainer really makes a difference, way more than just having a gym membership.

Does your program only do band?

I started 2 years ago, wanting the band. My surgeon wanted me to lose 85 lbs before surgery. I lost 50, and he wasn't satisfied and wouldn't schedule surgery. In that time I've changed my mind and my mind is made up, I'm getting sleeved! I switched surgeons and I was asked to lose 30 lbs before surgery. I had to do all my pre-op tests, labs and psych consults etc all over again.

If you can get a personal trainer, I highly recommend it. Having a trainer really makes a difference, way more than just having a gym membership.

Yes, the band surgeon only does bands. I wish he did both. I'm sure having a trainer is great but I'm mainly curious about what the insurance requires. What with all the tests and dr. visits right now I'm just trying to keep expenses in control. I will probably just do the 6 months diet. There is no requirement that I lose a certain amount of weight unless the surgeon requires it. The band surgeon didn't. I was just doing the diet because it's what my insurance requires.

I started out wanting the band, and switched over to the sleeve. Insurance would not cover the band for me because I have crohns disease. Luckily for me my surgeon performs all types of WLS, and it was just a matter of re submitting the paperwork, and a few appeals later I was sleeved. As far as the pre op weight loss, your surgeon should be able to accept a letter from your primary doctor stating what your highest weight was, then at least that part would be accomplished already.

I also started out wanting the LapBand and also switched to KNOWING I wanted to be sleeved. As soon as I found out I needed a 3 month diet, I switched to another doctor. I had already been frustrated with the first doctor and took that time to go see someone else. I have to wait 3 months regardless of which doctor, right? Well, it turns out it was the best decision I've ever made!! My new doctor is wonderful and his staff are so awesome!! If you KNOW you want the sleeve, you must find another doctor right away to get your 6 month process starting.

I have a seminar tomorrow night and I will ask the coordinator then. Since I'm really just one month in it's not that big a deal if I have to start over. At least I will already have the sleep study and psych eval done. I just hope I like the dr. tomorrow night. It's Dr. Johnson in Atlanta. If anyone knows anything about him I would love to hear from anyone!

Also my insurance allows a 3-month diet as long as you can prove exercise. I'm guessing this means a personal trainer? I don't know. So I need to find out what that means exactly.

I have a seminar tomorrow night and I will ask the coordinator then. Since I'm really just one month in it's not that big a deal if I have to start over. At least I will already have the sleep study and psych eval done. I just hope I like the dr. tomorrow night. It's Dr. Johnson in Atlanta. If anyone knows anything about him I would love to hear from anyone!

Also my insurance allows a 3-month diet as long as you can prove exercise. I'm guessing this means a personal trainer? I don't know. So I need to find out what that means exactly.

I did the 3 mon with Aetna. I had my nutritionist write notes for my excerising and had no probelms with Aetna I was approved in just over 48hrs. My appts were also not spaced over 12 weeks.

My first appt was 11/22 and my last was 1/17. It was submitted about 4pm in 1/24 and I had my approval about 1130am on 1/27.

I did the 3 mon with Aetna. I had my nutritionist write notes for my excerising and had no probelms with Aetna I was approved in just over 48hrs. My appts were also not spaced over 12 weeks.

My first appt was 11/22 and my last was 1/17. It was submitted about 4pm in 1/24 and I had my approval about 1130am on 1/27.

So you actually only saw the nutritionist for 2months and they still approved? Hey that sounds great. I hope I'm so lucky.