Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how does the vsg resolve....

I was asked by my dad, who I am trying to convince to consider the vsg, how it actually resolved diabetes and insulin resistance. I know it does but I'm not sure how. If anybody out there knows the medical side of it, I would really appreciate it. I think if I can explain this to him he might be more inclined to consider the surgery, he is right now over 400 lbs. and 6'2". He was just diagnosed with diabetes 2. I am very concerned about him but I can't make the decision for him, he has to do that himself. All I can do it to give him as much info as I can. I would also like to know because I am insulin resistant (my insulin levels are in the 2000's instead of the 200's). My surgery is scheduled for the 19th, can't wait. Just trying to get more info for myself and my father. Thanks.

I am not sure but I think it has to do with first of all losing weight and second of all the decrease of sugars and carbs in your diet that you body tends to ignore now. Your body will be able to respond the the lower amount of sugar in your blood and deal with it appropriately.

I personally am not diabetic so I am just guessing. I am sure other sleevers who were type II diabetics will chime in with their answers.

Well, specifically to VSG... I believe the hormone that gets cut out out of your stomach (ghrelin) plays a huge role in metabolism... When ghrelin is present, insulin production is decreased. So ghrelin causes hunger, you eat, raising your blood sugar, but it also decreases the amount of insulin present so all of that food you just ate has nowhere to go but in your blood because there isn't as much insulin there to carry it to the cells (now in non-diabetics, I don't think this is really an issue because our bodies are able to produce sufficient insulin).. Problem with diabetics is that you already have decreased insulin or your cells are resistant to insulin and do not respond properly when introduced to insulin. Now ghrelin has also been shown to be produced in other places, like the pancreas, but in smaller amounts... I believe this is the basis for weight loss through eating several small meals throughout the day rather than waiting to get hungry...

Insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas by some cells called beta cells... Over time, when you tend to eat excessive amounts or high sugary, fatty foods, your pancreas just can't keep up with the amount of insulin you require, and over time begins to decrease the amount of insulin it produces (which is why some diabetics need insulin later on)... When you exercise, your cells NEED fuel so it eventually begins to use the sugar that's available, thus lowering your blood sugar.. You also tend to eat better when you're exercising and losing weight, so that in itself lowers blood sugar... Fat cells tend to increase insulin resistance which increases blood sugar.. Lose the fat, have better blood sugars..

The whole topic of metabolism is very in depth and confusing, and I have hardly any education about metabolism, even as a nurse... This is just from all of the research I have done on the sleeve so far... Oh, and if anyone finds anything wrong with my info or has any more info to add, please let me know!!

I think to simply put it to your dad: Weight loss helps and can completely cure diabetes.

I think what should you should also focus on with your dad is the COMPLICATIONS of diabetes...

Blindness

IMPOTENCE (enough of a complication for some guys ;))

decreased sensation to your extremities

heart attack

stroke

kidney disease (needing dialysis)

amputations

If you can think of something, diabetes probably destroys it...

What's the worst that can come of this surgery??

You have a slight risk of death?? You WILL die of diabetes... That's guaranteed

You might need a re-operation for a leak?? You MIGHT need an amputation at some point with diabetes...

You lose weight and then gain it all back?? At least your body had a break for a few years!!!!!!! (It's a lil harder to come up with a good excuse for this lol)

You're going to miss your favorite foods??? You're going to miss your penis EVEN MORE than that steak and mashed potatoes when you can't get an erection anymore!!! And you will have a crabby wife due to no sex...... Not being able to have sex ON TOP of a crabby wife?? Oh man.. LOL.. Talk about miserable!!!! ;)

Now what's the BEST that can come out of this surgery??

Increased libido AND better, more satisfying sex (again, with the men.... lol)

HEALTHY BMI FOR ONCE!!

Not having to take all of those ridiculous medications!!

CONFIDENCE

HAPPINESS

Doing activities that you never thought you could!!

LONGER LIFE!!

More money!!! (through buying less food and not having to go to multiple doctor visits/prescriptions)

LOOKING GOOD in that sports car when you have a mid-life crisis!!!!

Congrats to you for taking your health seriously and doing something about it before it becomes full blown diabetes!!!!

Hope this helps and is semi-convincing LOL

Good luck!!!!!!

I've done a LOT of looking for this and while Kinky above has some good points the truth is that they really don't know EXACTLY what mechanism causes diabetes to go into remission. They were thinking it was something with the intestine till the sleeve showed it also produced the same type of results.

You need to look up the statistics. VSG is not the best option for reducing diabetes.. I think it is somewhere around 50%. RNY and DS have better resolve rates. Cutting the duodenum seems to have some miracle attached to it.... There is some movement for getting these surgeries approved for people who have diabetes and are not overweight. Diabetes 2 only.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21431992

on the other hand:

http://www.medpageto...age/ASMBS/14874

Just look around at these sites, do a search and you will find all kinds of studies...

I would research yourself a little, so you can make the best case to dad.

Losing weight, no matter from what resource WILL improve your diabetes. I have lost 50lbs, pre-op and my levels have improved GREATLY!

I look for the surgery to only completly put mine in complete control!

Good luck to you!

Kelly

I haven't had a blood sugar level over 135 since the surgery. Also my waking numbers are under 100 for the first time in years.

It is true about the DS and RNY resolving type 2 diabetes right on the surgery table. Something about the rerouting of the intestines actually cures it. The VSG works for a lot of folks due to the post op Fluid only diet and the extreme small amount of food per meal once they progress to solid food. The small meals thru the day with focus on Protein helps to keep blood sugars level. And for the ones who are extremely diabetic and on several meds, if it doesn't go into remission immediately post op VSG then after some weight loss it greatly improves or goes into remission.

You need to look up the statistics. VSG is not the best option for reducing diabetes.. I think it is somewhere around 50%. RNY and DS have better resolve rates. Cutting the duodenum seems to have some miracle attached to it.

Interesting... Thanks for the info!! I am going to look in to this more just for knowledge sake! :)