Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, new to the forums... obviously :confused: I havent even been a lurker and thats kinda different for me, i tend to lay low in the background before announcing my presence.

Anywhooo..

I am an almost 33 yo mother of 3 children, and at over 300, perhaps at 310ish 5'8. I have tried diet after diet after method etc.

I refuse to do gastric bypass, actually dont think i would be able to due to the high instances of intestinal scaring and obstruction in my children. So im relenting myself to one of two things.

1- stay obese

2- do something about it

Since im not content staying obese i want to loose this weight but time and again fail. The most i have lost since my mid 20's was in 2004 and i lost 60ish pounds only to gain 70ish back. My health is starting to wain, during the summer i cant even try to loose weight as my kidneys dont tolerate the heat mixed with a high Protein plan, i swear i gain 10lbs of Water in my legs (scale proven) a day, then dont have the ability to pee it off. Rinse and repeat.

So now im here with a couple of questions.

1- I dont have insurance that will pay for lap banding and it is prohibitevly expensive to do in the states, so looking for the best but moderatly priced physician out there (looking more and more like cancun i have personal bad experiences from younger days in the navy in Tiajuna *sp*) How much can i expect to spend for a surgeon in Mexico

how much is the followup for physicians in the US, as i cant afford to fly to cancun to many times in a year... would be cheaper for followup closer to my location and pay out of pocket

What is entailed in the followup.

and finally, have any of you guys done the surgery financing found in various places on the internet. Surgeryloans.com or e-financingsolutions.com.

There are so many things i want to do with my life, i want to run, i want to ski with my kids but cant fit the boots around my ankles, i want to feel comfortable around my husband intimately, i want to find a job (i am working currently) but found a certain level of discrimination when doing excellent in phone interviews, loving the skills and resume but interview with a tall skinny blonde, or a handsome hunk of a guy and then dont get the job. I cant help but feel that there is some level of discrimination, which i think in society is just inevitable, most people like to hang out at work with people that are similar to their own.

So here i am, deflated and tired of my weight, my leg burning with being so Fluid overfilled, had my maximum dose of lasix for the day with still not urinating. Doc says its only weight related issues and not kidney failure.

So anyway, thanks for your help.

Alisha

Oh another question, how long does it take from initial contact, financing etc to when you can get an initial appt, and from initial appt to surgery.

Reading the website for Dr. Ortiz, gives the impression it is all the same day with no pre-op workup or pre consultation. JC

Alisha,

i'm wishing you the best in your search. I am self pay, but had my band done in the states. I've heard LOTS of good about the Mexico surgeons. I'm sure some of those bandsters will reply soon. I began my search in March of this year and had my surgery on June 20th. So, the wait was not very long. even those who do have to wait for some time have always said it was worth it.

Best to you :confused:

Hi Alisha,

I was banded in Mexicali MX, on April 24th. It was a great experience. If I had been able to get my insurance to cover me I would have done it here, but, am not unhappy with the way I went (welllllll, I would rather have kept my money, but ya know!!!) I live in NM and there is not a Dr. i the state doing the surgery or the fills anymore. So I go to CO for my fills to the Dr. I origianally planned to do the surgery, before insurance crap. If you would like details, costs, names, etc, please feel free to PM me, and I will be glad to share. I am never sure what is going to cross the line, in the open forum, like I am promoting someone.

Whatever you choose, do some serious research, on how many they have done, what their statistics are. Make sure you have met and contacted someone locally to do your fills, and aftercare. You need someone closer than Mexico, just in case you have something that needs to be addressed immediately. Get the costs of EVERYTHING up front, from both the surgeon, and the aftercare Dr. There is no sense in getting the band and not being able to have it filled etc. I am not trying to make this sound doom and gloom. I did it! You can too!

Good Luck to you!