Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crackers, pickles, and sugar free

Quite the combination, right?

Still feeling pretty crappy here at 4 weeks out tomorrow but trying really hard to eat something, anything.

A RNY friend suggested eating a cracker or something small every hour I'm up to keep from getting empty, if I get empty, I gag and gag and gag some more, it got to the point where I started to throw up something but it sure wasn't food. Anyways, crackers? Good idea? Bad idea? I had one today, had to go to the grocery store and felt awful, had a cracker and ate it to take the edge off.

Pickles-when did you all start on eating pickles? I have two more weeks of mushy/purees and while in the store, I walked by the pickles and just wanted to stop right there and eat them all haha. Drooling just thinking about them now.

Sugar-free-how important is it to stick to all sugar free. The taste of the fake sugar substitutes makes me seriously gag. I have never been one to handle any of the fake stuff, not having a problem with sugar free Jello or popscicles but everything else is GROSS. It's not that I want to eat a big huge snickers full of sugar (ok maybe I really would like to do that but know that I cant) but I would really like to add some real sugar to some Decaf tea. And I have read a bunch of recipes on eggface's blog it all calls for the sugar free syrups, I bought some, and OH MY GOODNESS ICK ICK ICK! So can I use regular syrups??

Ugh, such a learning process here, so ready to just know what I am doing and get to feeling human again.

Thanks...

Are you on an acid reducer/PPI? Crackers are carby, but one won't hurt you, but snacking and grazing are commonly not recommended because it becomes habit and you never really get satisfied with set meals, or a schedule. Are you having issues eating? I have never seen any post-op guideline eating every hour on the hour to prevent getting empty. It sounds like something else is going on in there if you're still having trouble eating. Acid overproduction, or something.

I couldn't have raw veggies for 3 months. I ate pickles, and then a few hours later after another meal, I was burping up pickle skin. I was repulsed, disgusted, utterly appalled and didn't touch pickles for months. When I did eat them again, I skinned them, and didn't have issues. I did drink pickle juice because I craved it.

I stuck with sugar free foods, but drank regular gatorade and tea sweetened with splenda too.

I also drank 100% juice on occasion when I needed calories/fluids. I hated sugar free popsicles after awhile so I switched to fruit bars.

The only thing I add SF Syrup to is the Torani coffee flavors to greek yogurt, and sugar free pudding powder to greek yogurt.

If you have a dietary guideline from your surgeon, and it says sugar free, ask them. I wouldn't add a lot of sugar to the diet especially so early out because it's extra calories, wasted calories at that, and can slow weight loss.

Plus, sugar can cause more cravings. Those all the reasons I avoided sugary stuff during my losing stage.

I am having acid production issues. I was on prilosec and it wasnt cutting it, so I was switched to Nexium twice a day a few days ago. It does seem to helping much more with all the heartburn pain. I am extremely sensitive to smells right now, even the site of food at times can make me start gagging again.

I'm trying to eat on a schedule, seems I cannot get much down, no more than a few bites down, even slowly and chewed very well to last very long. I just keep feeling empty, which brings on the gagging ugh. Guess my body just needs to keep adjusting to what I did to it. Truthfully right now, I wish I had never had the surgery. I know many say that too, its just frustrating.

Burping up pickles sounds disgusting ICK! Might have to try pickle juice at some point though, sounds so good right now.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice on the sugary stuff too :)

I am having acid production issues. I was on prilosec and it wasnt cutting it, so I was switched to Nexium twice a day a few days ago. It does seem to helping much more with all the heartburn pain. I am extremely sensitive to smells right now, even the site of food at times can make me start gagging again.

I'm trying to eat on a schedule, seems I cannot get much down, no more than a few bites down, even slowly and chewed very well to last very long. I just keep feeling empty, which brings on the gagging ugh. Guess my body just needs to keep adjusting to what I did to it. Truthfully right now, I wish I had never had the surgery. I know many say that too, its just frustrating.

Burping up pickles sounds disgusting ICK! Might have to try pickle juice at some point though, sounds so good right now.

Thanks

Are you taking the Nexium on an empty stomach and waiting 1 hour before eating, or 2-3 hours after eating? This is vital in the efficacy of PPI. Maybe you can talk to your doc about using gaviscon to help calm your tummy. How about some yogurt with some good Probiotics? I stuck to a lot of warm stuff, and stayed on mushies for much longer so I could get in my Protein. I swear I lived on chicken/tuna/egg salads, deli meat rolled up with flavored cream cheese, and other uber soft stuff just so I could eat not because of pain, but because I couldn't use Protein drinks so Protein from food was vital.

Hang in there, it does get way better, I promise ! ! !

Are you taking the Nexium on an empty stomach and waiting 1 hour before eating, or 2-3 hours after eating? This is vital in the efficacy of PPI. Maybe you can talk to your doc about using gaviscon to help calm your tummy. How about some yogurt with some good Probiotics? I stuck to a lot of warm stuff, and stayed on mushies for much longer so I could get in my Protein. I swear I lived on chicken/tuna/egg salads, deli meat rolled up with flavored cream cheese, and other uber soft stuff just so I could eat not because of pain, but because I couldn't use Protein drinks so protein from food was vital.

Hang in there, it does get way better, I promise ! ! !

It says to take it 30 minutes prior to eating so that is what I have been doing. They also gave me some zantac to start in a few days if the Nexium isnt doing enough. And said Milk of Magnesea was ok to take as well. He said if it all continues they will consider scoping me this week too.

I will have to look into other yogurts, maybe that will help. Right now Im living on gogurts and Yoplait light. I keep wanting to try egg/tuna/chicken salad but trying to get past the making it part, I know it sounds stupid but looking at stuff makes me nauseas, of course I refuse to breathe through my nose when near food now too lol. Stupid body. Didn't think of cream cheese in deli meat, going to have to try that tonight, thanks for the idea! Protein Drinks are a no-go for me too.

Thanks so much for your help. Oh and congrats on your pregnancy!!

I will have to look into other yogurts, maybe that will help. Right now Im living on gogurts and Yoplait light. I keep wanting to try egg/tuna/chicken salad but trying to get past the making it part, I know it sounds stupid but looking at stuff makes me nauseas, of course I refuse to breathe through my nose when near food now too lol.

Don't make it, go to the deli and buy some. This is probably only temporary until you get to feeling more normal so treat yourself to some deli made egg/tuna/chicken salads. Or ask a friend to pick some up for you if you can't stand the smell of the deli. Good luck, hope it gets better soon.

My doctor suggested one activia a day, which I eat at night. It seems to help with the acid reflux. I am also very sensitive to smells right now! Some of which, do make me gag and nauseous!

I am suppose to take Nexium powder every day, but I can't stand the taste of it. It makes me gag horribly! I do eat a whole-grain cracker at night after my dinner, which has helped me a little as well.

I am having some pain in my stomach, but I think it is from my acid reflux. Dr doesn't seem to be too concerned about it.

My biggest complaint right now is my weight-loss stall. I haven't lost anything since my 1 week post-op appt. Seems strange to already be stalled, but seems to be normal from what I read on here. How has your weight loss been?

fatBgone-Thats a great idea. Maybe I will be able to eat something then.

MelissaAnd-will have to try the activia, I forgot there was some of that in the fridge. Can you ask your doctor for the pills? Mine is a pretty small pill and it goes down much better than the way too big Prilosec I was on.

I haven't dealt with any big stalls yet, I am weighing a couple times a week and twice in this last week the number was the same, figured it was the 3 week stall everyone deals with but still managed to lose the next time I weighed in. I believe Im down 24 from surgery day. Hang in there, Im sure your body is still trying to adjust. This whole process has been hard!

fatBgone-Thats a great idea. Maybe I will be able to eat something then.

MelissaAnd-will have to try the activia, I forgot there was some of that in the fridge. Can you ask your doctor for the pills? Mine is a pretty small pill and it goes down much better than the way too big Prilosec I was on.

I haven't dealt with any big stalls yet, I am weighing a couple times a week and twice in this last week the number was the same, figured it was the 3 week stall everyone deals with but still managed to lose the next time I weighed in. I believe Im down 24 from surgery day. Hang in there, Im sure your body is still trying to adjust. This whole process has been hard!

I so need to call my doctor and tell them that the Nexium just won't go down. A small pill would be better than nothing at all like I am doing now.

I only weigh every couple of days and at the same time each time. I finally broke my stall today by loosing a pound! Better than none!

I am sure that my body is still adjusting. We both had surgery on the same day! From surgery day, I am down only 25 pounds. I am counting the weight I have lost since I weighed in at my highest weight just 3 weeks before surgery, which puts me at a loss of 37 pounds. It makes me feel better looking at the bigger number!