Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last week I posted how I went in for surgery and the Dr. cancelled on me because I gained a couple pounds. Ok, that really sucked and I'm trying not to think about it too much and keep on with my program until I get a new date. That being said, I am starting a new job on monday. I am a Registered Nurse and work for one of the large health systems in the area. I currently work on a telemetry floor (heart monitors) and I accepted a new position at a different hospital in the PACU ( post-anesthesia unit), and this unit is also linked to the pre-op unit as well. I will be trained on both. My problem is that I realize now that this is the same hospital that my surgeon uses for his patients. I am overthinking this too much, I know. But I am worried. I am afraid of working there and getting to know people, and then in a couple weeks having surgery there and they will know (I've kept it a secret from most people I know except family). I am worried about seeing my surgeon there. I just feel weird about it. I also will feel awkward with the patients of my surgeon since they are going through the surgeries and I'm not (yet). I am happy for everyone who takes control and has the surgery and leads a happier life. But I am still mopey about being delayed. I had originally worked it out so I would finish my current job, and have surgery, then start over in the new place. I do believe everything happens for a reason, but I'm still struggling. I feel so off-balance. Everything seems off and I can't shake it.

Hi there!

I can see where you would feel strange! I am a nurse as well, and I always bump into my gyno doc on the floor and talk about cringe :blink: ! Awkward, party of two...

I read about how your surgeon cancelled you and the aftermath of that, and I certainly get where you are coming from, but everyone makes mistakes and its what you do after that really tells you what you're made of.

I can't help but think that after you go through what may be a period of awkwardness at your new job that things will be good. Just think about how you'll make each WLS surgery patient feel when they wake up to your thin face telling them they are gonna be fine! You'll have such a better perspective on what your pts are going through and even if you don't let on that you have been in their shoes, your care for them will show it!

Best of luck to you...

Karen

Thank you for replying. I really can work myself up sometimes. I had my last shift at my old job last night and it was so great I was practically running out of there! I will miss my friends though. I am thankful that I will have this surgery soon. It will change my life for the better!

Heather,

You might ask your doc if he/she operates at more than one hospital. Mine does. Since I am self-pay he basically told me to pick the place that I wanted to go. You might not have that option though if your insurance is paying and you certainly don't want to anything to slow down the process. I am an RN too and I think as a profession we are pretty open and non-judgmental (with a few spectacular exceptions!). If you ARE going to have your surgery where you work then I'd tell all of my new colleagues about it and try to enlist them to watch over you after your surgery. :angel: We are nurses and like to take care of people so I suspect if you ask for their help, folks will feel compassionately and protective toward you. Who knows...some of them may have HAD the surgery and can really understand where you are coming from. Take care and let us know how it goes.