Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has any one used Alli after being sleeved? The subject of extreme Constipation came up tonight with a group that gets coffee after the support meeting. The one woman is about 3 years out and she said she started taking Alli with one meal every other day for the last 6 months and that it helps hugely with the constipation. She has not been back to her bariatric but her primary said taking it at that low of a level with just 1 meal every other day would not be an issue. She had done well on her weight loss but is not underweight. She may be 20 to 25 pounds over ideal at this point.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or had asked about this. For those unfamiliar, this is the over the counter med that bonds with the fat in the meal you eat and passes it through your system instead of digesting it. She takes it with her "fattiest" meal, which isn't that fatty, but she said it's really "softening" things on the flip side of the meal. I'm really hoping I don't have this issue but it almost sounds like it's universal to WLS.

I would be careful in choosing Alli. We need some fats for general functioning and to prevent gallstone formation that may occur with low calorie fat-restrictive diets and rapid weight loss. You do not want essential fats bound to Alli for the reasons above.

Miralax would be better,, no blocking absorption of essential fatty acids that are much needed on such a restricted calorie intake.

I agree, skip the Alli at this point. If you are 3 years out, that's a different situation; but with a very low-cal, low-fat post-op regime, it could give you gallstones, as mentioned above.

The whole anal leakage pretty much deterred me from ever even thinking of using it. I ate a full fat, never watched fat intake during my losing stage and still developed gallstones and needed to have my gb removed 8 months post-vsg. I only experienced one episode of Constipation and it was during my losing phase. Miralax as mentioned above worked wonderfully. I'm almost 22 months out, and am more regular today than I ever was pre-op. Adequate clear Fluid intake, and good Fiber choices really help in my opinion.