Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

port showing/discomfort

Does anyone else have a problem with being able to see the port. I also have a lot of pain which seems muscular. My doctor told that the port could become noticable if I lost a lot of weight. I was banded in May 06, so I am only down 30 (including pre-op) with another 45 to go. It is also so sore that sex is pretty much out of the question. So for my husband who was against surgery in the first place, this hasn't gone over too well. Sorry if that is too personal!

Hopefull,

It's not uncommon for the port area to be sore for a couple of months after your surgery. However, if you've lost enough weight that the port is visible and protruding......I'd say you have a problem. That means that you don't have enough tissue there to keep it hidden anymore. There are "low profile" ports available, but if you only had 75 lbs to lose I would wonder why your surgeon didn't put a low profile port in to begin with.

I'd talk to my doctor, let him know the pain you're having and be sure to tell him that the port has become noticable. He may want to see you and consider a port revision to the low profile port.

Also, remember that the port is stitched to your abdominal muscles. Any movement can be uncomfortable during your healing (Since you had surgery May '06, I would consider you still in a rather newly post-op period). Other bandsters have tried heating pads, ice packs, tylenol for the pain. But time is probably the only thing that's gonna help you here. Once you're feeling a little better, sex can be good but vigorous sex when you're still new may irritate the area.

I had surgery March 7th and my port area muscles don't feel right. If I do anything remotely physical, the area hurts. I'm kinda down about the whole band thing right now. Bad fill/unfill/fill issues - esophageal pain (on meds) and sternum pain.

I'm not so sure I'd opt for the band again at this point. Ask me again in a couple of hours though and I'll probably give a different answer. :-) It would be nice if all of this would settle down and I could just enjoy the weight loss.

My husband's port has been very visible since day one. Even thru his clothes, it kind of looks like a little alien poking out. The surgeon says it's because he had very little fat under the skin....plenty of deep belly fat, however. He was banded at 287 pounds and now weighs 213.

That your port shows would bother me too. I am going to do the lapband thing i think, but healing, scarring and the port showing are significant concerns for me. :confused: Hey you are doing this in order to feel better about ourself and for your health,vitality. having pain and infection does not seem to contribute. good luck. take vit e and c and a they all help with healing. as long as the wound is not infected you can put vit e oil on it to encourage healing. i had a 3rd deg burn on my hand when i was a child and the scar really doesnt even show...:P

I guess it depends on your build, and where you carry weight. I've got only about 40lb to go as well, but whilst I can easily feel mine, I cant see it - getting old and losing my waist, lol. If I look I can see a very slight change in profile of my abdomen there, but no lump sticking out.

Perhaps get it checked out.