Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At my appointment with the nutritionist she mentioned that they don't want patients to chew gum because if it gets swallowed, it can get stuck. I had never heard this before. :) I chew gum all the time and it helps keep me from wanting to eat as much. I was thinking it would be crucial during the liquid phaze. Now she's got me paranoid, even though I haven't swallowed my gum since grade school. :P So do you chew gum? Did your doctor tell you not to?

If I have to give up my gum, I'm not going to be too happy!

My surgeon's nutritionist also discourages gum. The good news is, with the proper restriction, you shouldn't constantly feel the *need* to chew. Good luck on your banding!

my nutrionist also said avoid gum. She mentioned it could get stuck if swallowed but, their main concern was it causes air to get in your pouch. Much like using a straw.

To be honest I do chew gum and I do use a straw with my ice coffee on the road. I've been fine with both although I can't chew gum after eating. I usually do these things with an empty stomach and I'm ok.

my nutritionist never said to avoid gum, but while i was 2-3 wks post op i was chewing a piece and somehow it broke in half and i nearly swallowed some of it. after that i wont risk it, and my surgeon said i was super lucky not to have swallowed it or he would have admitted me for monitoring and swallow studies.

my advice totally avoid it.

i have not swallowed gum since i was around 5 years old. i chew it now on an empty stomach to keep me from eating when it is too soon to eat. i am sure i swallow air chewing, so i chew it in between meals sometime, especially bubble gum---it keeps my mouth busy--HA-HA:biggrin1:

I fear gum, and I stay away from it.. I have always been the weirdo who accidently eats gum, yes Im sitting there and bam, I think where did my gum go?

well that being said , I love gum, and I had a real hard time giving it up , untill about 3 weeks out of surgery and I was chewing gum and I caught myself in half swallow but it was too late the gum was gone, I called my Dr.. who is a total Drama king and he says and kindly as he can, Do you hate yourself?

I of course say No, Im Fabulous you know that..

he replys Then stop tring to kill your self !!

OK I get it. No GUM

HEY WILDFLOWER-your doc seems pretty funny !!

Anyway, NO GUM according to my doc and nutritioinst for all the same reasons. It could get stuck in your opening and also cause alot of air to be trapped and therefore PAIN. Not worth it ~

Hi,my nutritionist didnt say anything about gum.actually when I went for my second week checkup I was sitting in the waiting room and swallowed the gum.I was concerned so I tolod about it to my doc and he just laughed.Of course I dont swallow the gum on daily basis.I didnt have any problems with air trapped in my stomach.

Interesting! I never chewed gum before getting banded and now I chew SF gum all the time.d I find it helps with hunger and you can chew and chew without really eating!

I asked the same question a while ago because I regularly swallow gum. My dr didn't say anything about it one way or another. But now when I chew gum I'm very careful not to swallow (which is hard, after having done it for years and years). I have accidentally swallowed twice, but both times I didn't have a lot of restriction so I didn't have problems.

I chew gum occassionally - especially ones that freshen my breath. And I havent chewed gum nearly as much as I did pre-banding.

Something interesting, depending on the brand of gum, some cause me to have excessive burping (may be why I dont chew as often?)!

I fear gum, and I stay away from it.. I have always been the weirdo who accidently eats gum, yes Im sitting there and bam, I think where did my gum go?

OMG!! Me too! That was so funny!!!!

I was told not to chew because it may get stuck AND because it causes you to take in excess air unknowingly (creates the dreaded GAS) I was given the same rationale for no straws. Unfortunately I love both gum and straws

Violet

My doctor holds seminars for Q&A for people who are interested in the band. I'm a big gum chewer and I had asked him about the gum because my friend who had gastric was told to stay away from it. my doctor said it was fine to chew gum after getting the band.

I guess it just depends who you ask. :)

I was told no gum also because if swallowed it would cause a problem. I do chew gum because being on the post-op liquid diet I am in a state of ketosis and my breath is absolutely horrible. The gum helps, I'm just very careful with it. I chew gum all the time normally and have never had a problem with swallowing it, but I'm causcious anyhow.

Carol