Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UHC (Choice Plus) Approval!

Greetings Everyone,

Although I've been a fan of this site and have perused numerous posts for months, this is my first post. I've been wanting to post for awhile, but decided I'd wait until I received the green light from my insurance company (United Healthcare). All of my information was submitted two weeks ago, and yesterday, while at work, I received a voicemail from a UHC representative that simply stated the following:

"This is Karen from United Health Care. This message is for (my name). Your surgery will be covered. Your surgery will be a covered benefit. Good luck to you. Bye bye."

I read it a few times (google voice). Listened to it. Then played it ten more times. I even shed a tear. Here I was, a 350+ lb, 6'2" man, crying in my office. It completely caught me off guard. I've been dealing with my weight my entire life and I guess I was overcome with joy. Joy in the fact that although this journey will never be over, the sleeve is going to provide me with the help I need (and a new outlook on life). Yes, I'm very nervous. I've never had surgery before. But I'm up for the challenge.

I really do hope that this voicemail is real and that I'm not making this up in my head. Has anyone else received a similar call?

Thank you all for this wealth of information. This website has truly been a blessing in my life. I can't wait to join everyone else on the other side. Here's to a healthy life!

Yes I did. On February 16. And my case manager seemed very excited for me. It is a fantastic call to receive. My message was, "I have wonderful news for you. Please call me back." I did and I was so shaking when I was dialing her number. Yes a call I will not forget. Then came the "approval" letter. I still have it. I have put it with all of my other papers for my sleeve. Congrats!!!!! Making room for you on the loser's bench!!!!!

Deb

I got the UHC call last month. It was very similar to yours. Waiting to schedule surgery at my next doctors appointment on the 23rd.

I also have UHC Choice Plus. I know there are different requirements from plan to plan, but I'm curious what your pre-op steps were. Mine are 3 month supervised diet, NUT appt, psych appt. Either BMI > 40 with no co-morbidities or BMI > 35 with comorbidities.

I have already done the NUT and psych. I'm more than a month into my diet. My BMI is 41 with at least one co-morbidity (blood pressure). Just trying to determine how my approval will turn out.

Were your requirements similar?? Thanks and good luck!wink.gif

I have UHC as well...and the funny thing is, I am working with Karen as well. :D

I am at the very beginning of the process: I have met with my PCP to get my weight history (that was a wake up call within itself), identified a Center of Excellence and attended an information session as well. My UHC plan does not require the 6 months supervised weight loss requirement, but I have been following a plan since November 2009, so I have it in my back pocket just in case.

I am so happy for you and I could feel the happiness radiating from your post as I read it. I cannot wait until I get further along in the process and get that feeling as well!

Warmest regards to you and your current and future success...and save a spot for me on the loser's bench when you get there!

My requirements were very similar to yours, but instead of the 3 month supervised diet, I had to submit 5 years of my weight history/BMI. Before anything was submitted to UHC, I met with the NUT, had a psych eval, endoscopy, blood work, and had to be tested and treated for h-pylori. My only co-morbidity is stage 1 HBP.

I also have UHC Choice Plus. I know there are different requirements from plan to plan, but I'm curious what your pre-op steps were. Mine are 3 month supervised diet, NUT appt, psych appt. Either BMI > 40 with no co-morbidities or BMI > 35 with comorbidities.

I have already done the NUT and psych. I'm more than a month into my diet. My BMI is 41 with at least one co-morbidity (blood pressure). Just trying to determine how my approval will turn out.

Were your requirements similar?? Thanks and good luck!wink.gif

Wow, small world.

We're pretty much in the same boat. Please keep me posted in regards to your progress and I'll do the same. My surgery date is 4/25. I'll make room for you on the loser's bench.

All the best to you.

I have UHC as well...and the funny thing is, I am working with Karen as well. :D

I am at the very beginning of the process: I have met with my PCP to get my weight history (that was a wake up call within itself), identified a Center of Excellence and attended an information session as well. My UHC plan does not require the 6 months supervised weight loss requirement, but I have been following a plan since November 2009, so I have it in my back pocket just in case.

I am so happy for you and I could feel the happiness radiating from your post as I read it. I cannot wait until I get further along in the process and get that feeling as well!

Warmest regards to you and your current and future success...and save a spot for me on the loser's bench when you get there!

Congratulations, that is so awesome. I just hope I get to hear the same good news in five months. Just have to get through the last hoop.