Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The thirty thirty rule- chew chew chew

My pre and post op instructions really stress how important it is to chew your food until it is mush.

My doctor even has the nutritionist set a goal for you to chew every bite thirty times as part of you preparation for surgery, I have been doing it but I forget so easily!

I am wondering if you all have even instructed to do that and how vital that is to your post op life.

I sure can tell how easy it is to dissolve the car rich foods compared to the protein!

My doctor also recommends putting your fork down for thirty seconds between bites as you will know you are full much faster, and possibly keep from hurting yourself. The 30/30 rule.

I take a bite and chew till it is mush I do not count. I do however put down my fork/spoon between bites to give my body time to let me know when I am full. I have over eated a couple of times and it is uncomfortable. This is definitly a learning process.

I take a bite and chew till it is mush I do not count. I do however put down my fork/spoon between bites to give my body time to let me know when I am full. I have over eated a couple of times and it is uncomfortable. This is definitly a learning process.

I think a lot of it just makes sense. The two things I was assigned as my goal before my next nutr appt. are 1- chew thirty times each bite and take at least a half an hour to eat my meal and 2 - sip sip sip and not drink 15 minutes before and 30 minutes after each meal. I have to admit I am planning to do both of them more religiously after my sleeve - and fro what you and others have said the sleeve keeps you doing them.

Thanks for chiming in!

I never bothered counting bites. I just chewed my food to mush, and I did sit my utensil down in between bites. I never stretched my meals out over 20-30 minutes because this allowed more food to be consumed. I never had to do the "no drinking before meal" since we don't have a pouch, liquids in liquids out, so I drink right up I take that first bite, and then I wait 30 minutes to start drinking. Since I'm so much further out, I do sip with some meals, and it's just enough liquid to wet my whistle. I have drank through a long, multi course social dinner because it's a strategy to avoid anyone questioning me "why aren't you eating?".When it's a special invitation/sponsored by the USO (for myself and my husband)meal at a steakhouse that an average, every day couple drops $200-$300 for their meal, it's pretty difficult to not eat. That's the one situation that sticks out in my mind that I overate with my sleeve. I was over a year out, and I was Thanksgiving day stuffed. So at this particular meal, I did chew everything to mush, my jaw hurt after gnashing through 4 courses of food. Thankfully, I had coffee before the meal, and sipped Water during the meal. It was a huge 4-5 course meal, and while I didn't eat 1/4 of what I would have eaten pre-op, I ate a lot of food that night over a 2 hour period. Currently, I take regular sized bites, do not chew my food to mush, and eat like any other regular person. If I want to fit more food in, I chew slower and more to mush consistency, but honestly a steak loses a lot of it's flavor and turns to ickiness if I overchew which takes some of the joy away from the meal.

Not only is chewing to mush important in early post op time, it is part of behavioral treatment for what got me into this mess. As a chronic volume feeder who washed down with lots of Fluid, this is the hardest behavior for me to change 3 months out. I really have to concentrate on slowing down and chewing thorougly and continuosly struggle with this. Lots to learn and a long way to go.

God will your stomach let you know if you are eating too fast or didn't chew enough! I just started soft foods yesterday. I made myself turkey meatballs for dinner today and was so excited that I ate them way too fast. I feel horrible right now. Like I need to burp or throw up or something. Lesson learned... eat slow & chew!

I never bothered counting bites. I just chewed my food to mush, and I did sit my utensil down in between bites. I never stretched my meals out over 20-30 minutes because this allowed more food to be consumed. I never had to do the "no drinking before meal" since we don't have a pouch, liquids in liquids out, so I drink right up I take that first bite, and then I wait 30 minutes to start drinking. Since I'm so much further out, I do sip with some meals, and it's just enough liquid to wet my whistle. I have drank through a long, multi course social dinner because it's a strategy to avoid anyone questioning me "why aren't you eating?".When it's a special invitation/sponsored by the USO (for myself and my husband)meal at a steakhouse that an average, every day couple drops $200-$300 for their meal, it's pretty difficult to not eat. That's the one situation that sticks out in my mind that I overate with my sleeve. I was over a year out, and I was Thanksgiving day stuffed. So at this particular meal, I did chew everything to mush, my jaw hurt after gnashing through 4 courses of food. Thankfully, I had coffee before the meal, and sipped Water during the meal. It was a huge 4-5 course meal, and while I didn't eat 1/4 of what I would have eaten pre-op, I ate a lot of food that night over a 2 hour period. Currently, I take regular sized bites, do not chew my food to mush, and eat like any other regular person. If I want to fit more food in, I chew slower and more to mush consistency, but honestly a steak loses a lot of it's flavor and turns to ickiness if I overchew which takes some of the joy away from the meal.

I knew you would have good advice. When I grow up can I be like you? Oh wait, I am probably old enough to be you mother ;-P What you said about the stretching out the meal makes a lot of sense too- I have a feeling that was a general dieting nutritional guideline instead of WLS goal. I will mention that to her at my next appointment.

I really appreciate all your feedback everyone as you have the experience.. I am practicing.

I am also pleased to know we don't have to stop drinking 15 minutes before eating with the sleeve.

I have always been a fast eater...It's so hard for me to eat slow. I need to learn to put the fork down between bites :(

I don't count my chews, it makes eating such a chore. I just make sure I take small bites and chew thoroughly. I may take a small sip within the 30 minutes before eating but never during or the 30 minutes after eating. I am just 10 weeks out too.