Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Practical Immediate After Surgery Activity Question

Hello again all,

Thanks to everybody for the common-sense practical advice on my other questions, but I've got a real doozie on this one. I'm scheduled for my procedure Monday the 28, and I'm also supposed to be leaving for a vacation in Kentucky on Thursday April 7. My vacations with my friends usually involve a great deal of walking and heavy lifting. Now, while I'm pretty sure that this trip is, generally speaking, not an advisable idea, compared to the fantastically stupid things I do on a regular basis, this one's hardly on the radar. Besides, the surgery is a great excuse to stick everybody else with carrying the heavy stuff.

What I'm most concerned with, is that we do an ungodly amount of walking over the weekend, and I want to know what the odds are that I'll be up for it. Anybody that knows me would be shocked that I'd be asking such a question, as I'm generally regarded as the laziest human being most people have ever met. Gee, a couch potato that needs weight loss surgery. Who would have figured? Sic semper potatum reclinus!

Anyway, since this board has smatterings of people in various stages post-op, I was kind of hoping to get some feedback on how long it took to regain full mobility, more or less painlessly. Beyond the walking, the only other things I would be wary of are getting in and out of those folding camping chair thingies, as well as in and out of cars. Lastly, since I'm assuming I'll still be on liquids, is there any recommendations on what to stock the cooler with? I saw some stuff called "muscle milk" at the gas station, should I be looking for high-Protein drinks like these? I'm sure my doctor will fill me on on this stuff (well, one would hope so) but it's always good to hear it from people that have experienced it.

Thanks heaps,

Tom

Like so many things the answer is going to depend on how well you come thorugh the surgery. You can be reasonably certain the "heavy lifting" will be a no go that early after surgery. But you may have the energy to do a LOT of walking. OR you may be dragging ass from a week or more of an all liquid diet.

You either will be able to or you won't be able to. But you're the only one who can answer that and only when the time comes. You might want to start thinking about contingencies either way. Other activities that aren't as strenuous.

Have a nice vacation either way.

I have to say that one week out I was exhausted. I could do some activities but nothing like lots of walking. It depends on the person. You may feel fine to do all this walking. I would personally ask my doc what he recommends. Yes you should be having high Protein Drinks while on the liquid phase. I have never tried muscle milk but have heard some people like it. You might want to try it before you buy a case of it.

I have to say, I was pretty much a zombie for the first two or so weeks out. The difficulty sleeping and the tiny, tiny amount of calories in from such small amounts of liquid left me with no energy until I moved on to more food and Protein shakes. 45 mins walking around the shops a day left me exhausted and achy! Not to mention I was 'hobbling like an old woman' as my mother so kindly put it as it was difficult to stretch and bend properly due to incisions. ;)

I personally would have had trouble getting any significant amount of Protein shake stuff in that early post op, but like everyone says, it depends on the person. Just don't push yourself too hard! Concentrate on getting you better and build yourself up for when you feel ready to do more.

How would you be getting to your vacation? My doctor told me not to fly for 3 months... I also know someone who went from NC to NY a week or two after surgery and ended up having to go in the hospital due to ulcers.

A vacation that soon after surgery probably isn't a good idea on many levels it took me 7-10 days to adjust between the hospital and at home and I wasn't able to walk comfortably in the heat due to not getting in enough fluids... Dehydration may also be a risk.

It's up to you but to me it's not worth the risk of all the possible complications... and I am usually all for letting loose and having fun!

How would you be getting to your vacation? My doctor told me not to fly for 3 months... I also know someone who went from NC to NY a week or two after surgery and ended up having to go in the hospital due to ulcers.

A vacation that soon after surgery probably isn't a good idea on many levels it took me 7-10 days to adjust between the hospital and at home and I wasn't able to walk comfortably in the heat due to not getting in enough fluids... Dehydration may also be a risk.

It's up to you but to me it's not worth the risk of all the possible complications... and I am usually all for letting loose and having fun!

I wonder why flying should be a problem after surgery? I flew across the country after my surgery in Mexicali and had no problems whatsoever. Just like riding in a car, only not as bumpysmile.gif and I could get up and walk around.

I also wonder why traveling would cause that person to have ulcers? Just curious about that.

That was my doctors recommendation not to fly... I believe it was related to the pressure changes, however obviously many get operations in Mexico and fly home so it is not a problem for all.

The ulcers may not have been directly related to flying... the point was that they were in NY and their PCP and surgeon were in NC and they had to spend time in the hospital in NY with doctors that were not familiar with their circumstances. It was a somewhat traumatizing situation and they really didn't get their problem resolved fully until returning to NC and meeting with their surgeon.

At least if you go to Mexico for surgery in most cases you're flying home to recover so you will have some kind of medical support there.

4days after surgery I walked 5 hours in downtown costa rica. I followed my doctors recommendation of the more you walk the better it will be. As a result I've had no issues. Good luck

I walk a lot anyhow in my daily life pre- and post-op, AND I had a fairly good/quick recovery, AND my programs moves you to full foods straight away like day four post-op, so I've had less troubles to get energy/calories in. Given all of that, I could've done a walking-intensive holiday probably -- but I would have had to go to bed at about 8 pm for sure and take good rests during the day. And you'll have to be sure you can get a lot of protein/shakes down. And yes, you will have to be super careful about keeping hydrated, so hopefully you won't have a problem getting Water down.

If your situation is anything like mine was, you probably won't be in the mood for all that *just yet*. I'm 12 days out and just now feeling normal. Before yesterday, I would get tired way too easily, either because of the limited calories, or just the recovery stage from surgery.

I would recommend against the trip, but I know what it's like to have commitments like these - in life, you can't get away that easily, so when something fun is on the books, it seems RIDICULOUS to pass it up.