Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Real Life, Real Work, Real Eating????

Hello Everyone! I'm scheduled for Surgery on April 11th. I'm extremely excited, but feel like a fish out of Water flopping around between excitement, anxiety and nerves.

I feel like a goofball asking this question, and maybe I'm the ONLY one who's in this particular situation, but....

How do you work and still hold to the 2 oz meal/liquids every 2 hrs after surgery??????

I work for Intel as a subcontractor and our regiment is EXTREMELY strict (we're not even allowed to keep Water bottles with us, or any other consumable AT ALL). We start work at 6:00 AM, have a 15 minute break at 9 am, lunch is at 12:00 and then nothing until we get off at 4:30pm.

I'm really not sure how I'm going to be able to uphold all the dietary necessities of this surgery once I return to work.

I'm totally stressing about it and not even sure if I should have the surgery now.....

Signed,

Not Allowed To Open Your Mouth @ Intel (haha)

Any input on how each of you makes it through a "TYPICAL" / "AVERAGE" day post-surgery would be TOTALLY helpful and appreciated!!!!!

Christal

I have no insights for you, as I'm still a pre-op, but I have the same concern. My job as an electronics tech means I can't have food or drinks either, so I've been worrying about this too.

First of all, how long are you planning to be off work after surgery? I ask because the 2oz/2hr thing is something you need to do early out when your stomach is really swollen and you can't really drink all that much. By the 4th week after my surgery, I had basically gone back to my old drinking habits, which were Water and coffee in the morning, a big glass of Water 15 minutes before lunch, another big glass of water mid-afternoon, and drink most of the hours after dinner before bed. I get in at least 64 oz a day but you need to be able to take normal swallows to accomplish it.

If you can't do that, maybe get a letter from your surgeon saying you need to be excused to drink during work hours? It really is important, I had the flu in Feb. and couldn't believe how quickly I got dehydrated--one day of no fluids was enough to make a huge difference in the way and felt. Fortunately I was able to drink loads the following day and catch up.

First of all, how long are you planning to be off work after surgery? I ask because the 2oz/2hr thing is something you need to do early out when your stomach is really swollen and you can't really drink all that much. By the 4th week after my surgery, I had basically gone back to my old drinking habits, which were Water and coffee in the morning, a big glass of Water 15 minutes before lunch, another big glass of water mid-afternoon, and drink most of the hours after dinner before bed. I get in at least 64 oz a day but you need to be able to take normal swallows to accomplish it.

If you can't do that, maybe get a letter from your surgeon saying you need to be excused to drink during work hours? It really is important, I had the flu in Feb. and couldn't believe how quickly I got dehydrated--one day of no fluids was enough to make a huge difference in the way and felt. Fortunately I was able to drink loads the following day and catch up.

I am only taking one week off of work after surgery, unless something goes wrong. But as a newbie I have idea what to expect at that point.

I don't know how Intel is to work for, but can you ask for additional time as a temporary, medically neccessary, basis?

I knew a woman who wanted to breastfeed her kid and got extra break time to "milk" herself every 2 hours.

But your company might not be as lenient. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Hello Everyone! I'm scheduled for Surgery on April 11th. I'm extremely excited, but feel like a fish out of Water flopping around between excitement, anxiety and nerves.

I feel like a goofball asking this question, and maybe I'm the ONLY one who's in this particular situation, but....

How do you work and still hold to the 2 oz meal/liquids every 2 hrs after surgery??????

I work for Intel as a subcontractor and our regiment is EXTREMELY strict (we're not even allowed to keep Water bottles with us, or any other consumable AT ALL). We start work at 6:00 AM, have a 15 minute break at 9 am, lunch is at 12:00 and then nothing until we get off at 4:30pm.

I'm really not sure how I'm going to be able to uphold all the dietary necessities of this surgery once I return to work.

I'm totally stressing about it and not even sure if I should have the surgery now.....

Signed,

Not Allowed To Open Your Mouth @ Intel (haha)

Any input on how each of you makes it through a "TYPICAL" / "AVERAGE" day post-surgery would be TOTALLY helpful and appreciated!!!!!

Christal

I don't think this is going to be as much of a problem as you think it might be. I was sleeved on a Tuesday, I went back to work the next Monday and I haven't looked back. Just be smart about your drinking. Drink before Breakfast and lunch, not after, and drink on your breaks. You will be fine. Fluids pass right through your sleeve so you can't over drink (although if you gulp you will take in too much at one time.)