Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SUrgery: revision from band to sleeve with Dr Aceves, Mexicali on Monday this week.

Arrived in MX SUnday night. Driver was amazing and the hotel was VERY NICE. Me and my man had tacos the night before and they were delicious. I took a valium to help me sleep / relax and slept ok.

Monday morning, pick up at 7am. Got to the hospital and took care of adminsitrative items. Got into a gown. They frist sent me to xray (I didn't get my tests the day before like we planned). Then back to my private room to wait. Next, someone came to take my blood. Then I saw the anesthesiologist. He spent about 20 minutes with me talking about my surgery experiences. They decided to to an epidural, but not use morphine because it makes me sick.

Dr Aceves came in after a while and talked to me for over 1/2 an hour. He really cares about his patients and his work - it shows. It was the most relaxing surgery event I have ever been a part of.

About 45 minutes before surgery, I get the happy pill. Looks like xanax, but i'm not sure. I get very relaxed and wait for them to call me up for my turn. All this time I am in my private room, reading, watching TV, talking - very relaxed. I had an urge to have a BM and urinate a few minutes before they came to get me (yay!) so I was completely empty when my turn was up.

I remember walking to the OR, looking up at someone putting an IV in me and then it was lights out. According to my report, they put in the epidural after I went to sleep, pumped in anti nausea meds right away, hooked up some propofol, and then pushed the narcotic pain blocker. The revision and sleeve took less than 2 hours. THey pushed some Zofran when they were done to ease any possible nausea, and I was on my way to recovery room.

I was in recevery for almost 3 hours - a little longer than normal, but I always have hard time coming out of anesthesia.

I remember being wheeled to my room and seeing my man there.

No nausea, just tired.

Slept on and off during the day, but couldn't really get up to go to the bathroom because the epidural made my legs wobbly. From what I remember, I did get up a couple of times. I swished with Biotene and used a lot of chapstick to keep the dry mouth away. My pain was never too out of control. When I started to feel bad, someone would bring a sublingual pill or give me another hit from the epidural (which I had until the day I was released). Pain management was EXCELLENT. I was never in an unbearable amount of pain. I loved the epidural shots, but I would avoid asking for it because I couldn't walk for a couple hours after they gave it to me. I didn't have a catheter, so no problems with urination. I had to get up and go the old fashioned way.

The first day after, I wiped down with some baby wipes and put on pj pants for comfort. Walked around as much as I could.

After the 2nd day, the real pain was localized to the drain area. I swear I could feel it inside me. It was not excrutiating, just a weird awareness. The second day they brought the die test, and then fluids to drink. The third day, I did the xray leak test and they took the drain out. They knew teh drain was going to be uncomfortable, so they gave me a hit of the epidural first. I felt the drain coming out (sucked, but not the worst thing ever) because the epidural was taking 15 minutes or so to really settle in. But, I was able to sleep after they took it out and concentrate on healing. After the drain was out and I woke up from the shot, I took a better shower and changed into a clean set of PJ's. Mnay walks through the day. Tried to go out and see the sun a fe times. Walked down to the farmacia to get some extra nexium MUPS. Also had a little diahrea on this day, but it went away after 3 hours. Good to know the pipes were still working :-)

On my release date, I had a sublingual pill, had my epidural cath taken out, removed my IV, and took the ride to the border.

During the whole stay Dr Aceves visited the patients 3-5 times perday, along with the anestesiologist. They were truly remarkable. On the last day the Dr asked if I would like to stay for another day to relax, but I had to decline. Even though I was sore from the pain, I almost felt like I had been in a spa - I was so relaxed!!!!

Usual questions:

Was there pain? Yes - but the staff was so good at pain management. My pain was all about the drain and drain site. I found it terribly uncomfortable. But I was never in a lot of pain.

Epidural? Yes, please! I would recommend it to anyone - unless they are pumping morphine, that can make you very nauseous.

Naseous? Not once - it was a miracle!!!! I have always vomitted with anesthesia, but these guys really knew what they were doing to control it.

Mexicali? Awesome! I live close to TJ and know a lot about that city. I was so surprised by how much smaller, cleaner and less crowded Mexicali was. Fantastic esperience.

Dr Aceves? Simply the best. I have had several surgeries in my day and he is the best surgeon so far. great bed side manner, and very skilled with the revision. My old lap band port sight doesn't even have a bruise - the guy knows what he is doing.

Worth the money? Yep.

Now that I am home, I still take a sublingual painpill in the morning that lasts about 6 hours. More drain area pain... I will then use a heating pad in the afternoon to get me through to bed time when I will take another sublingual to ease the pain so I can sleep. I am getting better every day (more mobile) and I should be off the meds in the next day or so.

The weirdest thing right now is that I literally spend every waking minute of my life sipping a drink. I start at 7:00am and continue until 6:00pm. I am still coming up a little short, but I don't want to tempt acid reflux, so I stop drinking a couple hours before bed. The sweetness of the Isopure is getting to me, but I gutting my way through it. I usually only drink Water and iced tea with no sweetener or lemon - the flavored drinks are killing me!

I am sure there is a lot I missed because of a groggy head. But my overall impression was that they did a great job, I was as comfortable as possible, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Now, I can't wait to be done with these 2 weeks so I can feel a little more normal. I have made a promise to myself not to weigh in for a month. I am still super bloated from the surgery and can't wear regular pants.

Good luck to all of you on your journey!

Lara

Sounds exactly like my experience... pretty spot on. :) How are you feeling now?

Hi--

Thanks for asking. It's funny to read that post now, because I have already forgotten a lot of it.

I am very tired, but the pain is almost 100% gone. I now only have a little soreness where the drain was and only when I get out of bed. It is diminishing every day and I think it may be gone by the weekend. I haven't taken anything for pain - even tylenol - since my 3rd day home. I never really was able to tolerate the Protein drinks, so my Protein and calories have been a struggle. I think this is the reason I am still so exhuasted. I am back at work, but very weak - especially in the morning.

Otherwise, I am feeling pretty good. Looking forward to a month or so from now when I am 100% healed up and eating some normal food so I can get my energy back.

As a revision patient, you might appreciate this: I was counting my tummy scars this morning in the shower. Between my 2 weight loss surgeries and a C-section and a mole removal I have 10 scars on my stomach!!! Too funny! My partner recommended that I get a big tattoo to incorporate them all together. Ha!!

Congrats on your weight loss - you are doing great!

Lara