Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgical experience

Hi everyone!

Not sure if this is a good place to post this. If not Sorry.

My surgery was March 7. My surgeon is Dr. Jawad in Ocala Florida. He is a great guy all around. Not much for jokes but I got him to chuckle. Anyway I was scheduled for 7 AM I was told to arrive at least an hour early. So we woke up at 3:00 AM and got dressed and headed north for the two hour drive at 3:30. So not really knowing the area, kinda got lost. Yeah yeah yeah I used mapquest. But what it failed to tell me that in Ocala there are TWO HOSPITALS within 50 yards of each other. LOL Now when we went up for pre op we drove a different way from the surgeon's office to the hospital. No problem. (thats my story anyway) So after circling BOTH hospitals for 20 minutes and not realizing it HE finally decides to ask directions. So we did arrive in time. I didn't understand why I was still waiting at 8:00 AM to be taken back. So with my head spining with excitement my husband made friends with a lot of people. LOL. I was getting a little upset. I'm sitting there watching all of these other people that came in after me being taken back before me. So I interupted my husbands social hour and asked if he thought It would seem pushy if I asked when I would be taken back? He said No go ahead and ask. So after some carefull consideration on my choice of words I asked. The reply I received was, "they know you are here and they will come and get you when they are ready". I was like really??? Now mind you it is now going on 9:00 AM Anyway after another 45 minutes I was called. Whew!!! Thought I was going to have to ask for a refund of my co-pay. LOL..So the nice lady walked us back to the nurses area for surgery waiting and I was on my way. Once I got the beautiful green gown that is provided the nice nurse with the ear to ear smile comes in and says okay what are we going to be doing to you today????? I said really? You don't know? Oh crap I'm in some deep POO then if you don't know. I look at my husband and he was like No way and shook his head. She thought I was serious. LOL.....I'm not sure what impression I gave her but it made me laugh when she gave me the deer in headlights look. HA HA . Okay moving on. The ritual of trying to find a vein on a dehydrated person is next to impossible. I wasn't about to have the nice big plastic needle in my arm. Nope I made her look for a vein on my left hand. I even helped her smack my hand. Once that was accomplished in came the happy jiuce dude. Again with the what are we doing to you today and what is your name? So instead of doing the same thing to him I just answered him. Then 5 minutes later another dude came in and he was the Respitory therapist. He to with the twenty questions. Then here comes the transport team to wheel me to my destination, gave hubby a kiss and away we go. Once inside the operating room, again with the questions, I said Really?!!! You guys don't know????!!! I'm not getting on that table until someone that does know gets here. Yep Blew their minds. :D

Woke up so wanting to hurl everywhere. they gave me some meds and that feeling went away. Then I noticed that there was something taped to my damn nose. I was like what is this and proceeded to pull it out and a nurse was no no no!!!! Don't touch!!!!! My throat hurt like crazy no real pain other than my throat hurting. So back in my room I was very rude with everyone. Yep I was not having that NG Tube at all I asked if that was necessay? So that finally came out the next morning early. And may I add that was the most nasty thing I have EVER experienced. Now came the blue ice Water needed me to drink like 5 ounces in 20 minutes Ummm can you say it took me an hour to drink. Then off to x-ray. So cool I was able to take pictures of my new tummy. I will have to post. It was so cool watching the air bubbles come up while the Fluid was going down. So I must say it isn't bad but that depends on the person. It may be one of the worse things for one and a walk in the park for another.

All in all this was by far the easiest procedure that I have had. Plus I had a fun time messing with the staff at the hospital. That was my favorite thing to do to pass the time.

Deb

post-59432-13813668005088_thumb.jpg post-59432-138136680052_thumb.jpg post-59432-1381366800531_thumb.jpg

post-4701-13813656365062_thumb.jpg

post-4701-13813656367305_thumb.jpg

post-4701-13813656369537_thumb.jpg

lol, iirc, the nurses/docs just ask "what are we doing today" and as you your name to make sure that they have the right patient and that you understand what is actually happening today and you are your own person.

but nice story none the less, thanks for sharing smile.gif

I know why they ask those questions, I just like the response I get, they never expect or see ot coming.

Deb

I know why they ask those questions, I just like the response I get, they never expect or see ot coming.

Deb

I dunno about you - but I am making my nurses/doctors job easier when I go in. They have enough on their plate and if I can make it easier on them - it just makes it easier on me in the long run. I get meds quicker, they double check things more, and make sure I am comfortable. Piss em off at the beginning at your own peril.

Deb,

You had me grinning at your story. I love someone with a little 'tude! I would think you just added a little spice to the nurses hum drum day. Although, some people may be too serious to take it lightly.......but I thought it was funny :)

Speedy recovery to you!

Deb,

You had me grinning at your story. I love someone with a little 'tude! I would think you just added a little spice to the nurses hum drum day. Although, some people may be too serious to take it lightly.......but I thought it was funny :)

Speedy recovery to you!

Thanks! I had no issue with getting meds, like clock work didn't have to ask. By end of day one I refused them. I had no need to ask for them. In fact they were pushing them on me. I just told them I didn't feel like I needed them. They were a really cool staff. I doubt I offened the staff. I bet they have had to deal with a lot worse. In fact they couldn't believe I was declining pain meds and up running the hall ways.