Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCP not supportive of surgery

SO I went to my PCP's office to request my medical files and get my letter written from him supporting my VSG. My insurance will completely cover the procedure with this documentation. I got the files - NO PROBLEM. However, I knew that my PCP is not in support of anything except diet and exercise to lose weight. In the past I have discussed weight with him and asked for appetite suppressants. The nurse who was getting me my records assured me it would be "no problem" and that my PCP would write the letter. Later that day when I got home from work there was a call on my answering machine telling me my PCP wanted to see me. SO I have my appointment today.

Has anyone else had this experience. My VSG peeps told me I could always change PCP's, but I would really like to stay with mine. I've been going to him for 15+ years. Any comments or experiences would be appreciated. (This awesome forum has set my mind at ease before!)

Thanks!

Kelly

I have an amazingly supportive PCM, and he has been amazing through my WLS journey. I can't imagine how I would feel if he would have not been supportive. As a medical professional, I feel that the statistics on dieting failures hitting 95% he should understand that you've done your research, and want to make a permanent change and need assistance via surgery.

I would go to the appointment armed with as much information as you can, and be an advocate for yourself. He's a doctor, but not a god. If all else fails, I would change PCMs and find someone that would not only support my decision, but be a partner in my long-term health.

Probably your PCP will get on board, knowing if he/she doesn't, you'll find one who will. I had a 6 month insurance requirement with mine, and it was okay each time. At my last visit, she said she'd had quite a few patients go this route and that they had lost amazing amounts of weight. Just go in with a positive attitude and see what happens. Remember, a PCP isn't always at the tippy top of medical knowledge and info on the sleeve. If you need a different PCP for the procedure time requirements, then press on!

SO I went to my PCP's office to request my medical files and get my letter written from him supporting my VSG. My insurance will completely cover the procedure with this documentation. I got the files - NO PROBLEM. However, I knew that my PCP is not in support of anything except diet and exercise to lose weight. In the past I have discussed weight with him and asked for appetite suppressants. The nurse who was getting me my records assured me it would be "no problem" and that my PCP would write the letter. Later that day when I got home from work there was a call on my answering machine telling me my PCP wanted to see me. SO I have my appointment today.

Has anyone else had this experience. My VSG peeps told me I could always change PCP's, but I would really like to stay with mine. I've been going to him for 15+ years. Any comments or experiences would be appreciated. (This awesome forum has set my mind at ease before!)

Thanks!

Kelly

I also agree with what has been said. I'm also in the medical field and work with doctors daily. It's possible your requests for appetite suppressants may have biased your PCP. Those pills can be perceived as 'quick fixes' and not long term solutions, and I know many doctors are against them also for good medical reasons. Get your statistics and facts lined up. Be positive and 'upbeat' but but not giddy. Make sure he knows that you know the risks and benefits of surgery. And if all else fails, there are other docs out there. PCPs can't be expected to know all facts about everything in medicine, even the ones who try really hard.

Ok 15 years weight still an issure!! Kinda says it all. He should support your decesion if you have done your homework. I will tell you that my pcp was soo excited and wanted to let me know that she totally supported my wanting to have the surgery.. She had really seen how much I did struggle with my weight the years that I saw her so she wanted to help in any way possible. It is really up to you but if I was you I would switch pcp's that actually cared about your health..The one's that aren't interested in our health are interesed in our money only...

My PCP also called me and scheduled an appointment after I sent the request for the letter of support. I had never been under a physician's care for weight loss so I was sure he would try and talk me out of it. Also, I have 2 friends that also have him for a PCP that he had pretty much told them that the surgery probably would not work for them. I had even told the nurse on the phone that if he was going to try and talk me out of it, my insurance did not require the letter and I didn't want to come in an listen...lol

The nurse said she didn't think that was the issue so I went......and guess what? He was VERY supportive! He told me that this should be a good tool for me and that he was sure I would succeed with my weight loss. I think he just wanted to talk to me a bit and make sure I was informed and making the decision for surgery for all the right reasons and not expecting it to be a "miracle cure" or "immediate fix" to a life-long problem.

WELL! I was give a new diet to follow for the next 3 weeks...I told him I had been given it before and he said to try it again. I am VERY FRUSTRATED!!!! I meet with my surgeon tomorrow and I guess I'm going to find a new PCP. I asked him "so you're not going to write the letter?", he said "I don't like to, but we'll see in 3 weeks."

UGHHHHH!!!! Oh well...

Ask your surgeon what he thinks you should do! Get some names of doctors he knows will be on board. That's a bit ridiculous in my limited opinion!

WELL! I was give a new diet to follow for the next 3 weeks...I told him I had been given it before and he said to try it again. I am VERY FRUSTRATED!!!! I meet with my surgeon tomorrow and I guess I'm going to find a new PCP. I asked him "so you're not going to write the letter?", he said "I don't like to, but we'll see in 3 weeks."

UGHHHHH!!!! Oh well...

I'm surprised how vehemently opposed he is. Has he had bad experiences with patients who've had complications or regain? What a negative start to your process. :-( (My PCP and GYN were both embarassingly eager for me to have the surgery. D'oh.)

I'm sorry to hear that your doctor is being that way. I use to have a doctor like that and it's hard to change doctors but you need to do what is right for you. You need a doctor that is supportive and encouraging, not one that holds you back.

I agree with Margaret, see your surgeon and ask his opinion. There are a lot of doctors out there that will not only back-up your decision, but will be there for you through your journey ahead.

Good luck sweetheart!!

First and foremost we must keep in mind that doctors are merely people whom we pay for their educated opinion. That being said, when you have a difference of opinion in regular life you don't let that stop you from doing what you believe. Take the doctor off his pedestal and go around him. Get the letter you need and if you want keep using him as your Pcp. for the rest of your health care if you jive on everything but this.

Perhaps you will be the one to show teach him a thing or two. My doctor had never heard of the sleeve, he was not against either, when he sees me in a a few weeks at 100 pounds down I am sure HE WILL BE THE ONE in the learning seat.

UGHHHHH!!!! Oh well...

Sometimes surgeons want to know you will be compliant. I was actually told that on my psych test that I was a slightly un-compliant type... and should make sure I followed the rules.

He may just need to document your diet to be able to write a letter for you...

It is a bit unfortunate that you are not on the same page with your doctor. From your frustration, I imagine that you have tried to explain things a million different ways to him/her, so I will not even go there...

What I do recommend is getting a second opinion. In my experience, I find that some conservative (and I hate to say it...but older) doctors are very closed-minded when it comes to any elective surgery, when the truth of the matter is, that surgeries like the 'sleeve' are very safe when performed by experienced doctors.

I have to admit I learned SO MUCH from older doctors, while in med school, but a lot of the cutting-edge things I have learned in the field. So, go to a PCP that is recommended by your surgeon or consider Medical Tourism. Remember that some companies cover these procedures abroad.

I hope you work this out!

Best,

Dr. JSA

Thanks!

Kelly

If you DO decide to change doctors, I think you should write a letter to your current one telling him why, after 15 years, you have to change. Put it all out there, express your sadness and regret, and maybe it'll help open his eyes for the next person who goes to him for help. :)