Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried Sleeve Won't Rid My Uncontrollable Hunger!!!

I have binge eating moments where I can't stop eating. I frantically raid cabinets and make rash trips to the store (usually b/c i try to keep binge foods out of reach) ...I don't know how to describe the feeling but I can't feel ok until I eat and it doesn't need to be large amounts but it's usually high calorie foods....(like today 6 Cookies 130 cals each total of 780cal in one sitting)

I compare these binges to being addicted to a drug. I get just as frantic before an episode as a junkie would looking for his next fix and the feeling that washes over me when I finally eat is like a drug high in itself. I know a lot of this is mental and I'm dead scared that I'm going to get WLS just to find out that the addiction is still there cuz surgery doesn't cure the head hunger. I know that my problem is that I am a compulsive over-eater I've been to treatment for it and believe it or not it's actually a lot better now than it used to be but it's still a part of my life and I want it gone post surgery!

But I guess what I'm asking is this: Has anybody had this BEFORE surgery and had it go away or if not HOW have you dealt with it post surgery? I hear that the sleeve completely changes your relationship with food, is this TRUE?

I appreciate everyone's responses ....thank you!!!

I can totally relate to your story. In fact, before surgery, I went crazy with food and put on about 10 pounds because I was thinking I would never be able to eat this or that again. I will say that the surgery has changed everything for me. For once in my life, food isn't on my mind all the time. I am in control. Head hunger is still there, but for the most part, I can control it. I can't overeat with my sleeve and honestly I really don't want to. It feels good to eat what your body needs, rather than stuffing yourself until you are sick. I am so happy. It is so amazing to watch yourself shrink, to receive compliments about losing weight, and to have to buy new clothes. I wish you the best and I really do think the sleeve is an amazing gift!

The sleeve does NOT fix head hunger, compulsive eating habits. None of the surgeries will. The sleeve does immediate and permanent restriction, but I can eat 6 Cookies in one sitting if I want to do it. I always tell people that if you have compulsive tendencies, or major food demons, do not think surgery will fix it.

I had to do the work to change my relationship with food, did the sleeve help? Sure it did to an extent, but to this very day, if I want to I can eat an entire huge slice of red velvet cake, I can do it with zero issue. I can still suck down a 2000 calorie milkshake. I never dealt with compulsive eating issues, nor was an emotional eater so I never really struggled with these specific feelings. I can tell you the people that do have these tendencies typically need behavioral modification counseling along with surgery to be successful long term. Surgery will only work when you head is in the right place.

Early out, you'll read on here that restriction is great, and you're so focused on getting in Protein that there isn't room for anything else. BUT, if you're food demons are bigger than your willpower, you will find away to eat around the surgery, and it's not difficult at all. And, as time progresses, and the months pass, you will be able to eat more than what you could at 2-3 months out. It happens to every WLS patient, it's normal. I have a max capacity, but I can turn around and eat 2 hours later. I hope this makes sense. Long term success is going to be a struggle if you do not tackle these issues. Some of my "old" habits have come back and at 21 months out, almost a year in maintenance, I can tell you that the head issues are just as present as they were pre-op. I have to still make the best choice, I still have to stay out of the fridge when I'm bored or I'll gain weight.

well first of all we all have eating problems or we wouldn't be here. If you have eating binges is it controllable ? If not I think you should at least start counceling to try to understand your relationship with food. I am not saying you should stray from your deceision to have surgery I would think it would help you. It is true that you will not be as hungry after surgery. Some say that they have to remember to eat at all. It is true that the surgery will change the way you think about food. You have to understand that this is a tool and your success is up to you.. Can you fall back to slider foods..yes can you eat the wrong things? yes It is a powerful tool but you have to make the right choices when you eat after surgery..Proteins first and vegetable seconds.. There is not a lot of room for carbs left. Can you get full on carbs?? yes you can but when you do this you will have malnutriion issues and gain weight .. If you slide back to bunches of carbs or graze you could gain some or most of your weight back...I was sleeved about 5.5 weeks ago. I had trouble with foods all my life I love to eat. I will tell you right now if I had to do it all over again I would have the surgery 100 times over. It has gave me the strength to eat right . It is a wonderful tool that I don't want to do without..

I hear ya, I've been there, though I haven't had surgery, but I will suggest to consider a medication, maybe at some point after surgery if this stays a problem, as compulsive issues are often chemical based and respond well to medication, I'd also keep up Protein so as not to be as hungry.

Good luck!!!