Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help - Can't keep anything down

Ok, I had my first fill Monday morning. I got 1.5cc in a 10cc band. That doesn't seem like much to me. Prior to my fill, I had absolutely no restriction and could eat anything I wanted too. I had to do liquids Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday I went back to normal. I had to go to Publix to pick up a few things for lunch, and decided to get some of their chicken tenders from the deli for lunch. They really are quite small. I was able to eat the first one ok. Then I got to about the second bite of the second one and that was it. I knew things were not right and spent the next 20 minutes sliming. Last night I made teriyaki steak with rice and veges. for dinner. I stayed away from the steak because I was a bit nervous after my lunch issue. I had no problem at all keeping the rice down. I was hungry later on before bed, so I had a 100 calorie pack of cheese nips and had no problem with those either. This morning, I was not hungry so I didn't eat Breakfast. I decided to try the chicken thing again for lunch. I ate about 4 bites and started sliming and finished with vomiting. I get home, and my dh has made dinner already. OMG, more chicken!!!! Again, I ate about 6 bites and felt that lovely feeling again. Next thing I knew, here comes the sliming again followed by vomiting.

I don't know what I am doing wrong. I can't believe I am over filled. And, I know I should call my doctor, but I am afraid he will want to take some fill out and I don't want to do that if it is because I am doing something wrong. I admit, I don't think my bites are as small as they should be. I think I am chewing good, but sometimes it is like I just involuntarily swallow before I am ready. And, I am not waiting that long between bites. So, do you think it is my fault and I should give it another day or so and try and take smaller bites and eat slower? Maybe I will not be able to eat meat, or at least not chicken. I hope my vomiting hasn't caused any damage.

Any advice or words of encouragement would really be appreciated.

It's hard to say if you're really too tight. After a sliming and vomiting/PB episode, you really should give your band/tummy a break by dropping down a notch. That means, go back to mushies or even liquids for a day or two. The sliming or vomiting irritates your stomach and may cause swelling and irritation. That would make eating solid foods even more difficult to get down. In addition, chicken may be a trigger food for you. Often, chicken is viewed as one of those high risk foods for bandsters.

Now, if you can't even get down liquids.........I'd say you're too tight.

So, what I'd do is drop down a level or two of your diet. I'd probably go down to a liquid at this point, since you've had 2 episodes. Do that for a couple of days. By then, any swelling and irritation should be better, if not gone. Slowly work your way back to regular foods. You might even want to take a day of mushies or soft foods. Remember that chicken might be a troublesome food for you and chew it well or even lube it up with gravies or sauces before you try it again.

Thanks Ddiedre, I think I will take your advice and do liquids for a day or two. I have no problems at all with liquids, they go down very easy. And, to be honest, after my epsidoes with chicken, I don't think I will have any desire to eat it again for a long, long time.

one thing you are doing wrong is eatingf solids again too soon after a sliming or vomiting episode. Most doctors want you to do 24 hours of liquids after this happens, the reason you could be continuing to vomit every time you eat is you are more then likely swollen, this is why the 24 hrs of liquids is important, you need to rest your esophagus. Continuing to eat only will cause a vicious cycle, eat vomit eat vomit, try a day of liquids only to give things a rest...good luck

Or you could just be like me -- chicken is evil and must be destroyed or at least not eaten. I haven't been able to eat chicken since my second fill, no matter how it was cooked. I just can't do it.

That's how I am with anything bread. It took a couple of experiences like yours Susan for me to figure that out and now I just stay away. I think your band is telling you something about chicken. And everyone else is right.....give your body time to rest after a pb.

Nora

Hi Susan,

I have also a 10cc band (an A.M.I. Soft gastric band/Austrian) I have it filled with 7,5cc (had 4 fills during a period of 17 months).

I agree with all that's been said before. You should take it slowly since you had those 2 nasty episodes, give your stomach some time to heal and get back to normal before you try having some solid food again. For the next 48 hours you should try to go back to mushy food, smoothies, Soup, broth, lots of liquids. And then, when you restart on regular food again, forget about chicken as it seems pretty clear you're one of those bandsters that can't tolerate it. Pay close attention to what you eat and try to take a mental note of what type of food suits you best, believe me, your band will talk to you and let you know what is OK and what is not OK. Remember to chew, chew, chew and chew some more - this is one new habit that we all must learn and focus on until it becomes automatic not to swallow right away once we put food into our mouth.

Just for the record, I have no problems in eating chicken, Pasta, bread, rice, etc - never got stuck, no slime, no PB (luckily!...) but I take extra care in chewing really well.

niki

Hi Susan,

Looks like I missed you by 1 day. I was in there Tuesday for my fill with Dr. Chappano. He took me from 1cc all the way up to 2cc because I haven't been losing. Now I have lost 6 lbs since Tuesday....woo hoo!

I have been the exact same way with chicken.....I cannot eat it. I have even tried dark meat and can't do it.the only Protein I have been able to keep down so far is crab meat and ground beef.

chicken and bread are definitely out for me. Funyuns I can handle and have them once every other week with no problem. Not a good food but when I was having problems they were the only thing I could eat that wasn't sucked through a straw.

I tried pork roast last night and was able to get it down, so at least I have that and fish I can eat. I was starting to get scared that I couldn't eat any kind of meats.< /p>

Susan - I think you're trying to eat too much too soon. First of all, did you go to a mushy phase? I am not going to try to do meat for months, and will go easy on every other thing - till I figure out what will work, and what won't. I was told it's important to let yourself heal, and to eat things that will feed the need, not your head. I doubt eating things that are hard to digest - would be easy on anyone after surgery, and I think it's important to listen to your body now more than ever. cheese Nips? I wouldn't be that brave.

Stop, start over. liquids, soft things, and PROTEIN! Just not in the hard to digest bite size that seems to be hard for you,,,

Good Luck!