Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low-Carb Pre-Op Diet

Hey everyone.

I feel silly for asking this, but did any of you guys go on a pre-op diet that required 30grams or less of carbs + 70grams of Protein? I think it'd be a pretty common requirement. Anyway, I started this diet yesterday and I feel. so. miserable. Both physically and mentally. I'm fatigued and irritable and I last night I felt like I was going to throw up after dinner (plain chicken, no sides).

I know I am carboholic, but is this normal? EVERYTHING has carbs in it. Even my favorite vegetables, and that just seems cruel. I have five more days of this and I feel like it is going to KILL me before I even get my surgery! :o Can someone please please please offer me some words of wisdom?

Also, if you have any carb-free/super-low-carb food suggestions I will be in eternal gratitude to you (ready made is ideal since I cannot cook for shit)! Protein shakes + bars + plain meat is killing me. I can't even recall a time when I felt this tired and weak.

My doctor has had me on southbeach diet since october. It was very hard during the holidays and since january it has gotten alot easier. I have Protein Shakes (EAS chocolate and milk) since I don't eat alot of meat, and it tastes like a snack to me. 23g of Protein and 3g of carbs. then I just try to find a few simple things I really like and eat those primarily. maybe every once in a while I need a cheat, but then I do, and it's back to normal right away. I made my own stir frys (no rice of course), and sometimes have some fresh fruit, which after not having them for months was like heaven. Soups are also really good, and filling. it's plain old torture, but it will get better soon!

Mine was that, with also 7 grams of fat only (which I really couldn't do, low-carb/high Protein yes). in 3 days when the sugar burns off you will feel better. Eat veggies (not corn!!) to fill you up. Crunchy zuncchni cut into circles, dip in some low-carb dressing-that helps me the most! Cauliflower and bell-peppers are crunchy too.

Boiled eggs out the wazo, put mustard on them for spice. You'll be full at least, even though cranky. tuna salad, mayo, lots of onion for crunch! 30 grams a day is doable. Write your veggie carbs down so they don't totally creep up on you. Forget shakes, I'm always hungry 5 minutes later, nice glass of water!

Thanks for your input, ladies. I have been drinking Protein shakes from costco and eating Atkins snack bars to sustain me in between meat-meals. It's strange that the veggies I love most, like corn, peas, and carrots, are off limits with this diet. I'm a pretty picky eater but I'll give the eggs and tuna a shot!

I feel like I'd feel better mentally and physically just eating nothing, rather than zero-carb food, at this point :mellow:

Hi Mariah,

Your favorite veggies are starchy vegetables and full of carbs. I know that when I reach that phase it will be hard to give up those items and other carbs as well. I too am a carboholic. Good luck, once you pass this phase you will be ready for surgery and this will soon become a distant memory.

Thanks for your input, ladies. I have been drinking Protein shakes from costco and eating Atkins snack bars to sustain me in between meat-meals. It's strange that the veggies I love most, like corn, peas, and carrots, are off limits with this diet. I'm a pretty picky eater but I'll give the eggs and tuna a shot!

I feel like I'd feel better mentally and physically just eating nothing, rather than zero-carb food, at this point :mellow:

Hey everyone.

I feel silly for asking this, but did any of you guys go on a pre-op diet that required 30grams or less of carbs + 70grams of Protein? I think it'd be a pretty common requirement. Anyway, I started this diet yesterday and I feel. so. miserable. Both physically and mentally. I'm fatigued and irritable and I last night I felt like I was going to throw up after dinner (plain chicken, no sides).

I know I am carboholic, but is this normal? EVERYTHING has carbs in it. Even my favorite vegetables, and that just seems cruel. I have five more days of this and I feel like it is going to KILL me before I even get my surgery! :o Can someone please please please offer me some words of wisdom?

Also, if you have any carb-free/super-low-carb food suggestions I will be in eternal gratitude to you (ready made is ideal since I cannot cook for shit)! Protein shakes + bars + plain meat is killing me. I can't even recall a time when I felt this tired and weak.

This is basically going to be your diet after surgery as well.....better get used to it.

Corn and peas are off limits likely because they aren't even veggies. Corn is a grain and peas are a legume.