Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight training (abs) after surgery

I am in the gym doing cardio – elliptical, treadmill, and cycling. Want to do lite weight (10 lbs.) training for my abs on the machines. I am approx. 7 weeks out. My concerns are (1.) is it too soon, (2.) can I do harm to the incision, and (3.) are abdominal crunches safe. It’s also said curtain exercises can help shrink stretch skin - had not found any facts on that. If anyone have any helpful info on the subject, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Did you hear that crunches aren't the best workout for abs ? It's the roller wheel with the extended handles for your two hands that you roll out and contract -- that exercise (forget what the term is for that) that works. But if you scars have de-scabbed -- I don't see why it would hurt VSG post-op 7 weeks. I'm cleared to swim 24 days post op and abs are definitely involved in swimming. But sit ups and crunches have been labeled as "ineffective". Also, if you're doing abs to tone or gain definition or cut fat .. doesn't work. Only cutting overall body fat gives you 6 packs abs. I'd know -- look at my Avatar from 11 years ago when my body fat was 7%. As for stretched skin I don't have personal experience there, though I've yo-yo'ed in weight in my 48 years to have stretch marks around the hip thigh region that look just like post-natal women's marks. My understanding is that if it's s stretch mark type of problem there are certain creams in cosmetics sections that are made for treating stretched marks. But if it's a lot of loose skin from great reduction in weight, the only thing I've heard of is surgery. Hope that helps~!<br>

I would stay away from weighted ab exercises until you're 3 months out. You have to remember that your abdominals have been punctured in several places during surgery, so even if things look all sealed up on top, you can't be sure that your muscles have healed completely. If you stress your abs too much and they are still weak in places where instruments were put in, you may rip a hole in there again and end up with a hernia. P.S. My fave ab exercise is weighted sit-ups on a decline bench - I just take a 10 lb plate and put it on my chest. You can try that once you're 3 months out.

I work with a trainer and did killer ab work starting 5 weeks out. My doctor okayed spinning after 4 weeks. (I also took my kids sledding 4 weeks out). I was allowed to go on a treadmill after 2 but I wasn't up to it yet. I am 9 weeks out and my trainer works me so hard, I can't laugh without pain!!! LOL----no pain---no gain.