Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my introduction :)

hi! im amanda. i am 23, live in southern new jersey. i have a 2 year old son, and a fiance that is an alcoholic.

ive been severely overweight most of my life, in 5th grade i was 160.. and by 9th grade i was 225. i jumped up and down a lot in highschool, but mostly stayed in the same weight range. after graduation, i gained a bunch of weight, and ended up about 270. went on a massive diet, and got back down to 215... then i got pregnant. at 9mos pregnant i weighed 232lbs...

i currently weigh in at 290lbs. my all time high at this point....ive spent the last 2 years contemplating WLS. im not so much of a sweet eater, i just have an insatiable appetite. i was originally going to go with the lapband, but after a lot of research on there i was second guessing that decision, it seemed pretty unreliable with a lot of complications...i went to my first consult with dr wasser, and he suggested the sleeve. ive done my research, and ive officially decided on VSG, so now im working on the insurance requirements, im in the midst of my 3month diet, have a cardio appt monday, and then a pulmonary and psych eval later in march.. im hoping to have surgery in may or june :-D

im super excited to be starting this journey, and being on the way to a healthier (and better looking ;) ) me!!

Welcome to the group! Hope you get through all of the hoops fast so get your surgery when you want. There is a lot of information on this site just poke around and you should find it. If not just ask and some of the veteran sleevers will reply.

Welcome!! I too was going to go with the band until I discovered this site. Here you will find many supportive people and a wealth of information to assist you in your journey! I'm also on my last leg of the 3 month diet and am hoping to get surgery in may. Again, welcome!!!

Hey, Welcome!! Its a big decision to make isnt it? but it sounds like you have made the right one. for you and your family. I know because I had to make the decision aswell. I was sleeved last wedesday and although still gurgling a little I am feeling great. Ive lost nearly 12 pounds since my surgery and its still falling off everyday.

I dont know how hard it must be to live with someone with a dependency like alcohol but If you ever need to chat, ive found here to be a good sounding board, especially on the topic of husbands!! :rolleyes:

Best of luck though.

Holly from Oz