Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!

My surgery is coming up on March 7, so i'm reading everything I can get my hands on to try and stave off the nervous feelings. That's how I came across this forum :)

I'm excited, and nervous, and that seems to be the norm around here. I am loving reading everyone's stories.

I'm a self-pay, 30 years old, and live in Dallas. I've not had much experience with surgery, i think i've only been put under twice in my life, the last time was when i was 20.

I've never been skinny, but my weight started piling on a few years ago when i started a company and working 80 hours a week, sitting at a desk. I'm now up to 240lbs, with a 39 BMI. I have high blood pressure.

As a social drinker, i'm really nervous about what the surgery is going to do to my social life afterwards. To be honest, this is actually a huge concern for me, since it is so important to my lifestyle. I'm not an alcoholic, but I drink pretty consistently about 2-3 times per week. I smoke when I drink too. Obviously, i'm going to want to limit that behavior in the long term, (I don't think I will have a problem treating myself right during the healing process), but I don't want for the social drinking part of my life to be over yet.

So this is my experience so far - I'm planning on updating as events warrant. I go in for my pre-admission bloodwork tomorrow morning, and just started on my pre-surgery liquid diet.

Thank you to all of the participants on this board. It's making me feel better by the minute.

Laura <3

Hello everyone!

My surgery is coming up on March 7, so i'm reading everything I can get my hands on to try and stave off the nervous feelings. That's how I came across this forum :)

I'm excited, and nervous, and that seems to be the norm around here. I am loving reading everyone's stories.

I'm a self-pay, 30 years old, and live in Dallas. I've not had much experience with surgery, i think i've only been put under twice in my life, the last time was when i was 20.

I've never been skinny, but my weight started piling on a few years ago when i started a company and working 80 hours a week, sitting at a desk. I'm now up to 240lbs, with a 39 BMI. I have high blood pressure.

As a social drinker, i'm really nervous about what the surgery is going to do to my social life afterwards. To be honest, this is actually a huge concern for me, since it is so important to my lifestyle. I'm not an alcoholic, but I drink pretty consistently about 2-3 times per week. I smoke when I drink too. Obviously, i'm going to want to limit that behavior in the long term, (I don't think I will have a problem treating myself right during the healing process), but I don't want for the social drinking part of my life to be over yet.

So this is my experience so far - I'm planning on updating as events warrant. I go in for my pre-admission bloodwork tomorrow morning, and just started on my pre-surgery liquid diet.

Thank you to all of the participants on this board. It's making me feel better by the minute.

Laura <3

Hi Laura,

Welcome!!!!

I'm scheduled for March 7th to. On my pre op diet now. Not to bad. I did quit smoking. It helps with the healing and recovery process. Keep us updated. :)

Deb

Hey Laura,

I'm in the same boat you are when it comes to social drinking. My surgery is Monday in Dallas also and I want a glass of wine so bad right now I can hardly stand it.

I'm also self pay. My husband and I own an advertising agency in Fort Worth so i'm alway having to deal with social events and the eating and drinking aspect of that. I'm nervous also about how to handle that after surgery.

I will be 48 in March. I was thin till I turned 35 and after baby #2 I went from 125 (normal weight) to 215 (highest weight last week) . I started my liquid diet on Monday and i'm now 209 (this mornings weight) but i'm about to kill my family of eaters.

I'm going to take my lap top and try (if i'm up to it) to update after my surgery.

My surgeon usually sends you home on day two but the fee i'm paying Forest Park Medical Center includes two nights so i'm probably going to ask my surgeon to allow me to stay. It has been my experience with many surgeries under my belt that day two is the worst and by day 3 things start improving at rapid speed.

Glad you found this forum... lots of great info to read and lots of support.

Take care and stay in tough!

Hey Laura,

I'm in the same boat you are when it comes to social drinking. My surgery is Monday in Dallas also and I want a glass of wine so bad right now I can hardly stand it.

I'm also self pay. My husband and I own an advertising agency in Fort Worth so i'm alway having to deal with social events and the eating and drinking aspect of that. I'm nervous also about how to handle that after surgery.

Kim, I'll definitely be watching you and will keep in touch. Good luck, and lots of love.

Laura

Update:

I went in for my bloodwork and started my liquid diet last week. I'm having a little trouble, just because all the acceptable foods are either sweet (i don't like sweets at all), or, i'm drinking the low-sodium broth to help with my salty food cravings (and... gross). The Bari-Essential powder they gave me is good, but i've had trouble getting all 4 shakes per day in, just because they are sooo sweet.

Tomorrow I go to "pre-surgery class", which i assume will be a what-to-expect session with a Q&A.

I feel a little light headed and a tad weak today, so i'm going to make sure i take those shakes, since i'm sure it's just that i'm not getting the nutrients i need today.

My mom is coming into town on Friday, and will stay with me over the weekend and through my first week. She's a nurse, so I feel like I'll be in good hands :)

I'm home and feeling better!

I went in early Monday for surgery with Dr. Kim at the Forest Park surgery center in Dallas. Surgery went well, he found a hiatal hernia while he was in there and went ahead and fixed it. I woke up in recovery and slept all through the rest of the day and through to the next morning.

Tuesday morning, i walked a bunch in the halls, and they brought a round of Water and crystal light. For whatever reason i wasn't able to get any liquids down that day - they thought i might have a leak, so they sent me for a CT scan at some point, but it came back clear. No leak.

So I stayed an extra day in the hospital so they could keep me on IV fluids.

I woke up on Wednesday morning feelng much better. I walked a ton, and when the Water and crystal light came, i was able to sip it with no problems. I had some broth and some whey Protein, and finally convinced them i was ok to come home, so they pulled my IV and i got to go home. I live VERY close to the surgery center so travel was no problem, even though i was incredibly sore.

Once I got home, i slept a lot, and then kept walking. Wednesday night i couldnt sleep, I probably only got a couple of hours.

Throughout this whole post-op recovery phase, i've been incredibly sore, and have had sharp gas-like pains in my stomach. I'm having a hard time getting the fluids i need. I talked to the dietitian today and she said to focus more on the fluids than the protein/vitamins etc. which is what i'm trying to do.

I've been walking my butt off, because that's when i feel the best. I've walked about 5 times today, either 5 or 10 minute intervals.

So that's my story so far - i'm going to go to bed now. Please chime in here if you have had the same kind of post op pains!

Thanks guys :)

Laura

I'm so glad to hear that you are home and doing well!

Thanks for the update and keep walking walkng walking :)

Jen

I couldn't stand the bariessential after surgery because it got thicker on standing and I drank so slow. I also get sick of the sweet, so I mix Syntrax cherry flavor with Water and some lemon juice or lemonade to cut the sweet. I also add two spoonfuls of benefiber. It was the only thing I could take long term.

I drank cytomax tangerine - tastes like tang- the first 3-4 days, and Gatorade and broth, and lots of fruit juice bars. Whatever it takes to get the fluids. Some people like the warmth of teas too.

Hang in there.

Eureka, thank you for the suggestion - the bari-essentials drink made me completely miserable this morning, i don't think i'll be trying that again for a while.

i'm finding it kind of hard to find a lot of info on the immediate post-op phase, like the days just after coming home, and what to expect. This forum has been incredibly helpful though.

What i'm learning is - Soreness and sharp gas pains from top to bottom are NORMAL, and that it's ok if you can't get all of the Vitamins and Protein in the first few days. just focus on hydration, and when it hurts less, getting the essentials becomes easier.

So I've been home for 2 days now, and I just discovered some positions that feel good. I like sitting straight up, and even sitting on my bed with my legs spread and leaning slightly forward (i have to manipulate my belly a little to get into this position). Leaning forward helps a lot with moving the gas around my stomach and helping with productive burps. I have never burped as much as i have in the last 3 days.

More updates as events warrant!