Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My husband and I have made the decision to be sleeved at the same time. We will be leaving our Arkansas home on Friday, April 8th, 2011 and driving to San Diego where we will be sleeved by Dr. Almanza at the Jerusalem Hospital. We are supposed to go to the Recovery House on Sunday (10th). Since my husband's BMI is so high, he has to be "observed" for three days prior to his surgery. They will also do extra tests on him. So his surgery is scheduled for April 13th. I haven't decided if I want to do my surgery on Monday (11th) or wait and do mine the same day as his. Someone has to be well enough to drive home, right? Lol.

Mine will be a band to sleeve revision. I was banded July 10, 2008. I lost about 80 lbs before I got pregnant. I spoke to my fill doctor about taking out the fill but he said that since I was still heavy, there really was no need. I gained about 20 lbs total throughout my pregnancy. I was able to eat ample amounts of food. After I had the baby (c-section) I lost all but about 5 lbs. However, I continued to eat like I did while I was pregnant. The pounds are packing on. I can't stop myself. My brain still thinks I'm pregnant! So I went to have a fill done. The doctor poked and prodded around and couldn't hit the port. He finally took me to x-ray. He showed me that my port has turned around backwards. He told me that it will flip back on its own. From what I've been reading on several forums, this will not happen. Also, since he tried to fill me I have lost all restriction. I believe he must've knicked the port tube or something.

I had already scheduled my husband for lap-band on April 13th. When I told him what was going on with mine he immediately started backing out. I called the patient coordinator and told her what was going on. She told me that my husband is a better candidate for a sleeve than the band anyways (she did try to tell me that at first but since I was banded I wanted him to be also...). I also told her what was going on with my band. She then talked to me about band to sleeve revision. It sounded scary but wonderful. I've been looking on these forums and have decided to take the revision plunge!

It's going to be fantastic to be able to go to dinner and not have to request a seat close to the bathroom! I have what I call "spontaneous regurgitation". I can be sitting there talking and all of a sudden slime will just fall out of my mouth without warning! It's very embarrassing. I have never gotten anything stuck. But I've sure done my fair share of puking. Something that I've been worried about for a long time is that it's going to rot my teeth. My teeth are beautiful, I sure as hell dont' want to look like a meth-head with rotten meth-mouth. I think the sleeve is the answer I'm looking for!

My husband and I were sleeved on the same day. I think it was much easier than doing is on different days. We didn't have to worry about each other while they were in surgery and we went through it together. I think you'll like your sleeve over the band. I hear it over and over on this board. Congrats.

I have a couple of questions. First, how can I get one of those fancy little weight tickers that everyone is using? And second, where can I get a scale that will weigh my husband? He is 400+.

Congrats to you both! I'm sleeved and my hubby is getting sleeved in 2 weeks (I'm 4 months out) so we will be close together but not exactly going through the same thing at the same time. He has been able to watch me and know what he is getting into.

Best of luck to both of you and hopefully you can help each other during recovery!

I think it is so great that you are doing this together! A little friendly competition will keep you both on your toesbiggrin.gif

I am going to San Diego then to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, and I have to say, you are braver than I am to drive there and back to Arkansas. I would think that I would not be up to driving that far a few days after surgery.blink.gif

Good luck to you both!!

Hello Caley!

Congrats to you both for taking a step in the right direction to a better and healthier you! You are very lucky that you both will know how and what each other is feeling.

I am revised from band to sleeve and I gotta tell ya... best thing I've ever done!! Don't miss my band what so ever. Just keep in mind that you can still vomit with the sleeve, and some even still slime. I have only vomited once in the hospital and never again, and have not slimed once... but... some still have.

That being said, the threshold for food is much better than the band!! You can eat healthier foods without much pain if you eat slowly at first and chew chew chew. You also don't need to chew your food to a liquid once you get a few months out anymore.

Good luck!!!

Hi all,

My husband and I are on track to get our sleeves in June( me) and him (july).....we wanted to do it together but the surgeon said we should do it at least a month apart becaus we have two girls (ages 4 and 9) and one of us has to be able to function and do household stuff like lift the laundry. We are going through the pre op stuff together though...we are doing Weight Watchers for the 6 month Dr. supervised stuff and in 6 weeks he has lost 23lbs and me about 20. It has been pretty good so far! I'm glad to join the couples crowd!!! Tracy W.