Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 10 days post surgery and I am starting to get persistent heartburn at night. Antacids give me lots of gas which I think would make the problem worse. I have prescription and over the counter PPI's from the last time I had heartburn. Any one else experiencing this? What do you take for it?

My surgeon put me on liquid Nexium right after surgery and now I take a daily Prevacid. No problems so far. As I understand it, acid problems are common after surgery.

It's pretty common, and if you're taking Tums or Rolaids the lovely Calcium carbonate and sugar alcohols are probably responsible for the gas and rebound reflux.

I would get back on a true PPI, take it on an empty stomach and wait about 30 minutes to eat anything other than liquids.

I have been taking protonics for a long time. the pill is smaller and it is a tab form so no getting stuck ..Take it faithfullly everyday..

GAS and Acid Reflux is the reason I am still up. It also makes it difficult for me to get all the liquids in sometimes. I still feel it in my chest.

But, I will try taking the Previcid on an empty stomach and see if that helps better. Thanks for the tip.

I've been taking 20mg. of Nexium since surgery every night. When I've run out of Nexium, I get outrageous heartburn -- so, I'm just staying on it. Don't even see the need to go off of it. :)

I took some otc omeprazole before bed last night and that seemed to help. I will meet with the surgeon on Wednesday. I will ask him for a prescription for more omeprazole.

For instant relief of heartburn swallow one tablespoon of any type of vinegar. It tastes awful, so I just throw the whole tablespoon down the back of my throat and do not taste too much of it. It burns going down and its may make you a bit queasy for about 30 seconds, but your heartburn pain will be gone!

I take prilosec daily but still get heartburn and this is the only thing that takes care of it.

I spoke to the surgeon Wednesday. He said the acid reflux was probably because I did not puree the yogurt or cottage cheese I was eating. He did not prescribe an acid blocker, but I can always get it OTC.

I am feeling better when I take the acid blocker. It stops the late night and early morning burn.

How are you feeling now? Is it any better?