Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions, Questions, Questions

Hello everyone.

My name is Melissa and I am in the very beginning stages of deciding whether or not to attempt getting bariatric surgery. Right now, I have no insurance, but my husband just got a new job and will be getting insurance in a couple of months. I have no idea if they will approve me for the surgery or not, but I am going to do all the research I can up until he gets it so that I'm prepared.

My BMI is about 36, but I also have sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I spoke to my dr yesterday and he's all for the surgery. I was thinking lap band at first, but he suggested the sleeve, which I started leaning towards the last few days anyway. The only thing is that I have Questions galore and I'm hoping to get as many responses as possible to help me with my decisions.

First of all, I have a daughter who will be two in May. To mothers who have had the surgery, how long was it after the fact that you were able to lift your child/children again? I worry about the recovery time and lifting restrictions.

Also, I'm worried about the psych evaluation. I am bipolar and I don't know what kind of questions they will ask, and if I will pass this section.

And I guess the most important question is to everyone....Would you do it again??

Thanks to everyone for any input. I hope you're all doing well, and I'm glad to have found this site to help with some of my questions!!

Melissa

Oh, and one more question (for now anyway) has anyone had the surgery at Lehigh Valley Hospital in PA? If so, could you tell me about your experience? Thanks again!!

Hi Melissa! Welcome! :)

1) My dr. told me I could lift things about 2 or 3 weeks after surgery -- I could exercise 2 weeks afterwards too. Every dr's recommendation is different, so I would go to a seminar (many drs give them) and ask LOTS of questions.

2) I believe the psych eval is just to see if you are prepared for a lifetime of change -- because you will eat differently for the rest of your life. I think as long as your bipolar disorder is under control, it shouldn't be a problem. Many people on this board have depression and anxiety, so I wouldn't be too concerned. (My son has bipolar disorder, so I'm very sympathetic!) :)

3) I would do it again in a heart beat!! I just wish I had done it when I was younger -- my oldest is now almost 19, I have an almost 15 year old, and my youngest is 12. I wish I had done this when they were young and I had been able to play with them -- this is the first time in my adult life that I've been able to do fun, physical things with my 12 year old -- we golf every day and have a blast -- and I'm sad that I couldn't have done it with my other kids. BUT!! I have a lifetime of experiences to look forward to :) I'm beyond thrilled I did this -- while I have a bunch of weight still to lose, I am more active, more happy than I have been in decades. so YES YES YES YES!! I would do it again!! :)

I hope that helps -- and I hope others chime in -- I didn't have a psych eval because I was self-pay, and every dr's recommendation is different for activity and lifting. :)

If you go to seminars it would be very helpful to answer all questions..I had a note book and every time I had a question I would write it down. I feel that the doctor was a little upset to answer about 35 questions before I would move forward. You have to realize this is a life long change and every little thing that you learn about this the better your mind is going to be with it. when the change actually happens you will have most of the tools for success. I would say you probably would need no more than a week for your 2 year old. I know when I was out 3 days I was cooking supper for my wife and doing light cleaning of the house.. Also you need to prepare your mind for the liquid diet you will be on. I didn't realize that this is a really impact on my life. It is extremely hard and you will know if your ready to have the surgery if you can do this. I will be on liquids for 6 total weeks. 2 week preop, 2 weeks thin liquids, 2 weeks thick liquid. I guess the biggest thing I am saying that your mind as well as you body has to be ready..It is defintely worth it don't get me wrong. I would do it again tomarrow. Your psyc eval is a eval to make sure you are ready for these life changing events to happen. Good luck and please keep us posted

Thank you both for your responses. I really appreciate it.

I do have another related question. Should I bring all my questions to the seminar, or should I wait until I have an appt with a surgeon? I am pretty sure there would be a Q&A at the seminar, but I don't want to hog up everyone's time. LOL

I scheduled my seminar for Tuesday the 22nd. I can't wait to go!!

Welcome Melissa!! Nice to have you join us. :)

I was able to lift moderately heavy things at about 3 weeks out. I wasn't given any ultimate guideline on this, so that would be something to ask your personal surgeon.

Like Julia said about the psych eval, their main concern is that you are understanding of the great difference the sleeve will make in your life - and that you are mentally capable of going through with it. I'm sure you will be fine. Just open up and be honest in your answers.

Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY!!! I would do it again in the blink of an eye - and I had even a little rough recovery for the first few days. I wouldn't change a thing either, because I learnt something in those first few days. Anything WORTH doing is NEVER easy. I wouldn't change a thing either. I am over the moon with my sleeve. I've never been so successful with weight loss in my entire life. I've been able to get very skinny, but it was through sheer starvation (amongst other things) that I did it. Now I'm rarely hungry!! It's such a miracle, this thing they call the sleeve... :D

Wishing you all goodness, and that you come out as amazingly happy as I am right now!!!

I too am bipolar. I did clear the psyc exam. My suggestion is your psych dr. monitor you very closely. Mine is having me do extra blood tests to check my medicication (lithium) levels. As you may know, even a few pounds can change how the meds stabilize your mood. I've recently had some issues with increased anxiety and depression but I think it is because I'm very stressed about my eating (I had surgery on 2/22/11) and I've had a lot of stress at work.