Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Take that Psy Lady!

Last week I went to the insurance paid for psy. I failed. (I posted about this and the whole thing is GONE??) Granted I went in with a big cup of Joe in my hand all flipped out over a money issue (big money issue, esp when I don't have a job)-so I mighta seemed unbalanced. Anyway, she was all Freduian and wanting to talk about my childhood et alllll. Geez, I am just here for surgery clearance. Just ask if I am know better than to stuff myself of marshmellows in the hospital and lemme go!

I even complained to my Dr. The office said they are not recommending her anymore, likely other stories, don't send your peeps to someone who might get your claim turned down!

Annnnyway, I paid $200 painful dollars to the in-house lady. I loved her! She was funny and awesome (I didn't drink too much coffee either today). I passed. Duh. She didn't see 'childhood issues' as a red flag, she saw it as a interesting point of self-reflection (I know some of childhood has affected my eating,that plus genes, and well, here I am).

So now, my last appointment is next week. Then they file. I am unsure about surgery. The Band seems such Drama and while it works for some, it is horrid for many and ineffective for others, but the sleeve sounds like something that will work, but my stomach is gone, what if I need it later? and I don't want to die (from surgery). So, even this close, I am still undecided.

Thanks!

I know, my fear is what will happen to me when i'm a old lady? the elderly already don't eat much and a frail and feeble and they have stomachs. . .mine is gone now what will happen to me? There is not much research done regarding the sleeve and the long term outcome, but you know what? I would do it again in a heartbeat. . . for me my obesity was killing me anyhow, i lived constently in shame especially if i had to do things in public like get on a plane and ask for an extension for the seatbelt, or ask to sit at a table cause i couldn't fit in a booth, then people would stare at me while i ate cause i was sweating so badly. . . wearing a snug 4XL uniform and patients rolling their eyes when they found out i was their nurse . . . getting into my car and having a really hard time getting back out. . . you see what i'm talking about. . . to me this surgery has given me happiness for probably the first time in my adult life. . .a joy that can only be seen when it happens to you. . . so for me I don't care if i die before 90 80 or even 70 (we all are born to die anyhow and all of us will die this century regardless). . . i have been given the opportunity to live now and finally enjoy my life as a slim person to live a "normal" life . . . and I am so grateful and thankful for that. Good luck in whatever decision you make. . we all walk our path of life for different reasons and those are only within us.

I know, my fear is what will happen to me when i'm a old lady? the elderly already don't eat much and a frail and feeble and they have stomachs. . .mine is gone now what will happen to me? There is not much research done regarding the sleeve and the long term outcome, but you know what? I would do it again in a heartbeat. . . for me my obesity was killing me anyhow, i lived constently in shame especially if i had to do things in public like get on a plane and ask for an extension for the seatbelt, or ask to sit at a table cause i couldn't fit in a booth, then people would stare at me while i ate cause i was sweating so badly. . . wearing a snug 4XL uniform and patients rolling their eyes when they found out i was their nurse . . . getting into my car and having a really hard time getting back out. . . you see what i'm talking about. . . to me this surgery has given me happiness for probably the first time in my adult life. . .a joy that can only be seen when it happens to you. . . so for me I don't care if i die before 90 80 or even 70 (we all are born to die anyhow and all of us will die this century regardless). . . i have been given the opportunity to live now and finally enjoy my life as a slim person to live a "normal" life . . . and I am so grateful and thankful for that. Good luck in whatever decision you make. . we all walk our path of life for different reasons and those are only within us.

I think you have to take your Vit B! Now and esp when you get old. Supplement better when old, since crappy absorption. Remember metabolism gets slower as we age, so less calories not a bad thing. You'll just be happy with the Ensure when your old!

You'll just be happy with the Ensure when your old!

EWWWWWWWWWW ! I can't stand the smell, taste, or look at Ensure, boost, or any of those old people drinks! YUKKKKKK!!! Gotta run to the restroom now (PUKE PUKE) I know drama queen! No really i can't handle those drinks, not even carnation instant Breakfast or carnation milk . . . nope won't do it! UGH . . . . yup i take those Vitamins every day, so i guess the best thing to do is sit and wait til i cross that bridge and see what happens. . . good luck to you!! I'm so glad everything went better this time around! See the difference between the insurance pay and the self pay? Have you decided on if your going to get the surgery or not? Wish you all the best in your decision making! CHEERS

Psych's interesting, because it's such a "soft" science. I remember going to this talk where a forensic psychiatrist talked about how nebulous it is, and he showed us a case where this guy was basically raging hardcore, threatening to kill his family members, etc. Then they committed him for a few days, and suddenly like 5 days later he does a complete turnaround and becomes an angel on Earth, so they release him a week after. Same night, he hacks 2 of his relatives into pieces. The psychiatrist in that case was sued, but won the case, because he basically said there was no way to predict this could've happened. I have an acquaintance in med school who really shouldn't be there, and he said he wants to be a psychiatrist "because no one can ever prove you made a mistake." Kinda makes you think twice. Bottom line, unless you wander into their office naked rambling about aliens sending you messages, you can argue that you're healthy as a horse and you are guaranteed to find another shrink who'll tell you just that.

Well congrats!

Remember this simple rule:

1 out of 4 people in the world are completely nuts. Look at 3 of your friends, if they seem OK - then IT'S YOU!

Congrats! I am so happy you were cleared. As far as which surgery to pick, the sleeve is 200% better than the band. The band never really worked for me. The sleeve is amazing! I have restriction without throwing up and I don't want food 24/7. You can pretty much gaurantee that with the band, you will be back in for some type of revision surgery with 10 years. Plus dealing with the fills is no fun. Just trying to help you out. I wish someone had been there to tell me the about the sleeve before I had my band. I should have had the sleeve first instead of living in pain with the band for 3 and a half years. Good luck!