Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am sneaking food again!

I am a member of the one day at a time club for sure! Wow..I have really have to watch or next thing you know..I have had not only ice cream but some Cookies to go with it as well .....lol.......

junk food is so addictive, ONE of my down falls is Oreo Cookies and a cold glass of milk. I can eat a whole row watching tv. I know I could eat another row, but so far I have refused myself from doing that.:faint:

food is a drug, large amounts of carbs/sugars have a chemical effect, they can numb you, they can give you a high, make you feel better, comfort you, it's not just psychological, it effects your brain chemistry. Stuff that sometimes works for me, exercise - it will give you a similar, slightly different endorphin push. I find music comforting too, and excerise to music, even if it's something like housecleaning can help. Sometimes I feel like I need that feeling of something inside of me, and hot tea can help, make me feel full, and warm inside, taking a hot bath can help me too. I try to find other 'non-food' ways to comfort myself, a bubble bath can do that. Also having a healthy alternative to splurge on, like berries or melon. Maybe with a little low-cal cool whip, which I sometimes use frozen as an ice cream alternative. Sometimes I write and try to figure out what it is about that I want to medicate myself with food for. I think not buying foods I can't be responsible with and not having them in the house is key for me. If I do cave and buy, when I'm able to, throwing them out! It's better for them to be in the garbage than on my hips! I am not a garbage can repository for fat food! I keep trying to tell myself. It only takes a moment of courage, a few seconds of strength, to toss junk in the trash. If you don't have it, you can't eat. If I do eat it... forgive myself, start over. It's a new day. It's like an alcoholic or addict falling off the wagon. Don't make it an excuse to keep doing it, just start over. One day at a time is a great philosophy, one bite at a time, one breath at a time, one moment a time. You can make a new choice half way through. I know one woman who cured herself of an ice cream addiction, she is someone who is really sensitive stomach wise around 'gross things' every night before going to bed she would think about eating ice cream, ice cream filled with maggots and bugs, rotten ice cream, etc, etc, she worked really hard at making ice cream unappealing. It worked for her. Other people reward themselves every step of the way, pay yourself every day some small amount that you don't eat ice cream, maybe the cost of the ice cream itself, save for something you really want, give yourself bonuses for longer term goals, a dollar or two for each ice cream free day, a 5 dollar bonus for each week? or maybe a 10 for each month? or... what can you afford? how much is it worth it for you? I think you're doing great, this stuff isn't easy. We got heavy for reasons... lap band is a great tool for helping us to lose, but it usually doesn't take all our reasons away.

XO

Leila

How Ironic...

I was just sitting here in my house, and went and searched the kitchen for something to snack on. I decided that i had "nothing" to eat. Darn it, I ended up having to snack on low fat beef Jerky (I"m sure that will be a no-no after the band). My point is... i didn't buy junk food so I didn't have any to eat when I was bored/mildly hungry. It worked this time!

Its hard to admit that you may be hurting yourself. Believe me i understand. But once you come out and say it you can start helping yourself.

I found telling my husband has the first step.

I told him i need him to help me in a positive way by reminding me what i want to accomplish and what i'm doing is for me.

I told him to never tell me anything negative because i over react when i think i'm being attacked.

I felt i had to tell him because he was the one i was mostly hiding my eating from. Its hard to hide from someone if they know what's going on.

It helped a lot. But you also need support from people on this forum who can relate. There's no way to describe knowing that you aren't the only one. That other people have gone thru the same thing and over came it.

I wish you luck and I know you will do what is best for you. After all you did go thru the whole process just to get the lap band.