Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omeprazole

Just wondered if any of you did this in the beginning when swallowing was a little harder to do. My surgeon says yes, and so does my pharmacy, but I want to know if anyone did this and noticed that the time release effect is affected?

I had a tiny bit of heartburn this morning....which I've NEVER suffered from before. Thanks for any input!

I have been on protonics since February 1st surgery date and I have had no acid or heartburn. I am not chanceing it thought I will be a dedicated follower of the ppi at least one year..good luck cause I don't know if protonics is time released but my doc I guess likes protonics for some reason..Any way good luck

I used the same ppi at first and it did nothing for me. If it is time release I wouldn't pour it on anything I would try my best to swollow it down. I was swollowing regular pain pills the same night I came out of surgery. And I had a hole repaired in my esophagus which made swollowing a bit harder, but I managed. Now I am on Nexium and it works amazing!!

It's ok to break open the capsule and wash down the granules with something if it works for you (but don't grind the granules down!). However, PPIs work best when taken on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning, and it's best to wait 30 mins before eating. So I'd suggest trying to wash it down with just Water first; if it doesn't work for you at all, do the yogurt thing, but once you can do it without the yogurt, switch.

Thanks for the input!

Now I'm wondering if when the Omeprazol is gone I should switch to an OTC chewable or nothing at all. Ya see I figured out what was hurting my tummy that morning. It wasn't heartburn. I was discussing it with my hubby, as it was still bothering me, and decided I should take off my underwire bra (much to his delight). The discomfort almost immediately disappeared and has not come back. The bra must have been putting pressure on my tummy area.

My sleeve sister in NC was not prescribed any PPI by her surgeon. She is doing fine. She said she will ask him about it during her next visit. So, do we REALLY need a PPI? In 58 years I've had mild heartburn twice. I'm not big on taking meds if I really don't need them.

So, do we REALLY need a PPI? In 58 years I've had mild heartburn twice. I'm not big on taking meds if I really don't need them.

Early out it helps keep us from getting ulcers.