Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Snow Storm Almost Stopped My Surgery-LONG

Tue, Feb 1st...Snow Storm Hits Ohio. Schools are cancelled people scramble to stores to stock up for the worst of the storm forcasted to move in Tue nite & into Wed, Feb 2nd (my surgery date). Milk, bread, other items disappear from grocery store shelves leaving them totally empty.

Feb 2nd begins with blowing snow, freezing rain pellets and we're due at the hospital at 6 AM for a 7:30 AM surgery. I had called the doctors office and they had me call the surgery dept at the hospital the day before. They said enough employees lived or were staying in town to do the four surgeries scheduled for that day.

We left a little late, so I called the "outpatient" area (as instructed) to leave a message as to when we would arrive. We made it to the surgery admitting area, much to the relieved prep nurse, who didn't think to check the machine.

Got prepped and had to wait for the doc to arrive. When they saw the whites of his eyes, it was show time.

He said surgery went very well and quicker than he anticipated. He told me later that he gave me "a nice tight sleeve" and that I should "be able to lose alot of weight". The adhesions we feared would give him a terrible time were not that bad.

The worst part of it all were the nights. I was woken up every few hours for "whatever". If the nurses didn't get their acts together, and come in at the same time, their schedules were staggered, which left me completely exhausted!!

The second night I failed to use my bipap machine (PEOPLE TAKE YOUR MACHINES WITH YOU!) and my heart rate ran low off and on through the night. This cost me an extra night's stay to have a cardiologist access a night "ON" on the machine to see if I needed a pace maker to regulate my heart rate.

So I came home around 5 PM Saturday evening, after a stop to Wally World for more popsickles, gause pads and tape. My hubby fixed me up a throne in the Lazy Boy with my Bipap at my side and I ate banana popsickles (THANK YOU GOD FOR banana POPSICKLES!) and I dozed covered with a quilt and a pillow over my belly to keep the kitties off of my tummy.

I appreciate everyone who thought good thoughts, and prayed prayers for me. Believe me, I thought about all of you who have gone before me and the great success you've had while in the hospital! You inspired me!!!

More to come later!

Love,

Wow, lucky you had dedicated people to be there for your surgery! I found it funny all the stores being run out of items. At the most we had was one day without access to the stores and folks acted like it was the end of life as we knew it.

I am so glad you didn't get held up on having the sleeve. I remember how long your journey took and finally the insurance company started covering the sleeve and you got your approval so that would have stank! Welcome to the losers bench and keep us posted.