Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going into Mexico...???

I live in TEXAS and live daily with the news of the horrible murders and criminal stuff that is going on across our border due to the drug cartel. Can anyone tell me what kind of assurance the Mexico Dr.'s are offering as far as security crossing the border.

I have not seen anyone bring this up but it has to be of some major concern. It is crazy unsafe across the Texas borders (or so the media has us believing).

Thanks unsure.gif

Dr. Aceves (and most other MX facilities) offer shuttle service to and from the United States. It was pretty painless both ways. You don't have to get yourself back and forth.

IHTH! :)

I too live in Texas, and you have it exactly right, " the media has us believing" I was in Tijuana, MX 12/8/10 for my VSG and we had a police officer stationed outside of the hospital the whole time. But I never saw anything that made me feel unsafe or anything like that. Everyone was friendly including total strangers who didnt speak the same language as I do.

I too live in Texas, and you have it exactly right, " the media has us believing" I was in Tijuana, MX 12/8/10 for my VSG and we had a police officer stationed outside of the hospital the whole time. But I never saw anything that made me feel unsafe or anything like that. Everyone was friendly including total strangers who didnt speak the same language as I do.

Did they ever mention Safety with you when you made your Surgical plans?

Did they ever mention Safety with you when you made your Surgical plans?

I brought it up when I scheduled mine. I am going to Juarez which just sounds insane. I debated back and forth about Tijuana with the facilitor(Jessica). She said they have not ever had any real problems. The hospital in Juarez in 10 min from the El Paso airport and they take you in a shuttle and bring you back. She said you never see anyone outside of the hospital. She would not recommend going out shopping or site seeing in Juarez but to be in a shuttle for ten minutes I just came to the conclusion it is what it is. The hospital in Juarez is just so much nicer. I wanted to be at a full service facitilty. Not a clinic I wanted cardiologost and whatever else could possible ever be needed right there. So that is why I went with Juarez. She said were Dr. Rod operates in TJ is across the streeet from the hospital but the flights were more and I couldn't get them the days of surgery and I was going to have to book hotels and it was just easier to go to Juarez. So don't really know if I answered your question or not but that is how I decided. I've prayed about if fell comfortable. That's really all you can do.

I changed my surgeon (not entirely for this reason) because of the Juarez situation. The doctor was willing to fly into TJ. If you are having someone come with you, I would recommend ANYWHERE besides Juarez. being couped up in the hospital for 4-5 days when they are not a patient can cause other issues. In TJ, I had a driver and even though I didn;t have anyone with me, on my fourth day I was able to leave the very nice (and provided) hotel for walk around while feeling safe.

Tijuana is a HUGE city and the parts that are bad are not anywhere near the hospital. YES, there is a risk, not anymore than and other large city though, unless you go looking for it.

I live in TEXAS and live daily with the news of the horrible murders and criminal stuff that is going on across our border due to the drug cartel. Can anyone tell me what kind of assurance the Mexico Dr.'s are offering as far as security crossing the border.

I have not seen anyone bring this up but it has to be of some major concern. It is crazy unsafe across the Texas borders (or so the media has us believing).

Thanks unsure.gif

That is the dilemma for my friend right now as well. We just read that a missionary was just killed (shot) and heard that several of Mexico's boarder police are literally quitting daily. My friend wants this soooo bad, but it's seems super dangerous to cross over the border right now.

That is the dilemma for my friend right now as well. We just read that a missionary was just killed (shot) and heard that several of Mexico's boarder police are literally quitting daily. My friend wants this soooo bad, but it's seems super dangerous to cross over the border right now.

It is very dangerous in Juarez. Thousand have been kidnapped and murdered. We live with the news daily in Texas. Boarder towns and ranches deal with it on a daily basis as well. Travel to Mexico for Texans usually is very inexpensive and fun but most will not even travel to the resorts now. My son is in the Military (overseas duty) and when he came home for a view weeks he was told "NOT" to travel into Mexico.

I'm just curious as to how much cheaper the surgery is in Mexico. I'm only paying $12,500. for my Dallas surgeon and Hospital. It must be a huge saving for someone to risk their life traveling into and out of Mexico. I can't say i'd do it. I was hoping to hear some responses with safety and security promises from the Dr's and Hospital.

There are four international ports of entry connecting Ciudad Juarez and El Paso, Texas, including the Bridge of the Americas, Ysleta International Bridge, Paso Del Norte Bridge, and Stanton Street Bridge, which combined were responsible for 22,958,472 crossings in 2008,[5] making Ciudad Juarez a major point of entry and transportation for all of central northern Mexico. The city has a growing industrial center which is made up in large part by more than 300 maquiladoras (assembly plants) located in and around the city. According to a 2007 New York Times article, Ciudad Juárez "is now absorbing more new industrial real estate space than any other North American city."[2] In 2008, FDi Magazine designated Ciudad Juárez "The City of the Future".[6] However, the city is also the site of widespread poverty and violence, including an infamous series of unsolved murders of female factory workers.[7] The violence generated by the drug war translated into more than 2,600 killings in 2008. More than 1,600 of them occurred in Juárez, three times more than the most murderous city in the United States.[8] And that number of killings increased to 2,600 in 2009.[9]In 2010, 3,075 homicides took place in Juárez. This has led to a homicide rate of 229 killings per 100,000 inhabitants[10]. In response, business groups in Juárez have called for UN intervention.[11]

There are four international ports of entry connecting Ciudad Juarez and El Paso, Texas, including the Bridge of the Americas, Ysleta International Bridge, Paso Del Norte Bridge, and Stanton Street Bridge, which combined were responsible for 22,958,472 crossings in 2008,[5] making Ciudad Juarez a major point of entry and transportation for all of central northern Mexico. The city has a growing industrial center which is made up in large part by more than 300 maquiladoras (assembly plants) located in and around the city. According to a 2007 New York Times article, Ciudad Juárez "is now absorbing more new industrial real estate space than any other North American city."[2] In 2008, FDi Magazine designated Ciudad Juárez "The City of the Future".[6] However, the city is also the site of widespread poverty and violence, including an infamous series of unsolved murders of female factory workers.[7] The violence generated by the drug war translated into more than 2,600 killings in 2008. More than 1,600 of them occurred in Juárez, three times more than the most murderous city in the United States.[8] And that number of killings increased to 2,600 in 2009.[9]In 2010, 3,075 homicides took place in Juárez. This has led to a homicide rate of 229 killings per 100,000 inhabitants[10]. In response, business groups in Juárez have called for UN intervention.[11]

I just returned from surgery with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. We were picked up at the San Diego airport and shuttled to/from Mexicali without a problem. I didn't even get my passport in time and was able to go through the border with my driver's license, receipt for passport app and birth certificate. We were driven to the hospital for the pre-op testing and then shuttled to the hotel. I was never nervous or concered for my safety. Never saw any armed guards, security etc. My mom came with me and walked across the street to the pharmacy but didn't venture out to much past that although there were others who did. I would certainly recommend for the cost $8750 it is well worth it. I couldn't have had it done at that price or by someone with the experience Dr. Aceves has. I had some issues with high blood pressure after the surgery and they were on it, to the point that Dr. Aceves and an internist came to see me twice on Sunday to check on my blood pressure. So overall I would recommend it and would do it again!

I had my surgery in Piedras Negras with Dr Alvarez. My husband went with me and was able to safely venture out. Usually he went with a guide named Jessica who was wonderful. I chose Dr Alvarez for his experience. It just could not be matched here in the states. I would do it again. I felt totally safe.

I had my surgery 1/24 in Tijuana with Dr. Kelly. We were picked up in San Diego, taken to the hospital where we spent 3 days, and then were taken to a VERY nice hotel in TIjuana for 2 more days, and then were driven to the San Diego airport. At no time did I EVER feel unsafe in Tijuana. My BF went with me, and while in the hospital, he met several Americans who had walked to the nearby beach with absolutely no problems. At the hotel, my BF and I walked about 1 mile to a local shopping mall and NEVER felt unsafe. We walked to the nearby convienience store several times with no problems. I did hear some intoxicated men in the elevator mention that a taxi driver say that he was unfamiliar with the location of our hotel, which they thought was a scam. They just got out of the taxi. I also have to say that in Mexico, the service is impeccable. Much better than in the US. Our drinks were never empty, and the waiter packaged up broth for me to take back to the room. I paid 6000 for revision from band to VSG, and I would do it again in a minute.