Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's my first post on this site, I was banded 6 weeks ago tomorrow, and I've followed everything everyone has said to me, but has anyone ever has a problem w/ foods that are too hot or cold???

If my food has just came from the fridge, oven, or microwave, I totally get sick. I'm not having having PB's w/ it, but they actually diagnosed me w/ dumping syndrome, which isnt supposed to happen w/ the band. I have other conditions which the staff thinks is whats screwing me up, but does anyone else go through this????:help:

It's physically impossible to have dumping syndrome caused by the band....

Lots of times cold things will make me tighter, and I'll get stuck or something, but nothing really that didn't make me sick before makes me sick now.

Are you maybe lactose intolerant? That can develope at any time in a person, generally as they get older they become more intolerant. food alergies can also develop at any time.

Possibly the extreme temperatures are keeping you from chewing it enough? Just a wild shot in the dark. I thought of that, because the other day I had a chicken sandwich (removed the bun, for calorie elimination mostly) that had green chile on it. I had ate them before, and as long as I chew it thoroughly, I have had no problems with it. Well the green chile they had the other day was hot!!! Because of that I did not chew well...and was stuck after the second bite...DH finished my sandwich, and he even put the bun back in place!!! A lot of people have sensitive teeth with extreme temps, so it would make chewing it fully more difficult. I don't know, I hope you find the answer to your problems! Good Luck to you!

Kat

Thanks for the posts,

I know that it's impossible to having dumping syndrome, but I have all of the symptoms, and I've seen several people, all who say the same thing, but they don't know why, and they say its not dumping, just similar. I am lactose intolerant but it's on foods like turkey, bananas, salads, and its not everytime I eat them. As for the hot and cold, I am chewing them into tiny pieces and stopping between bites, as well as tons of time between liquids and drinking.

Its not a big deal, just a little scary going through it alone.

Thanks

Every time I go through these episodes they are different, and I tend to not always have the same ones, but generally I have: nausea, sweats, chills, headaches, a feeling of heaviness in my chest and throat, pain sometimes below my belly button (but that only happened once), fatigue, a feeling of something stuck from my throat to my chest area, and sometimes heaving. I also then choke, gag, and can't talk for about 2 minutes, then all I have to do is open my mouth and everything comes up naturally. I've tried taking a small sip of Water and holding my breath to get it down. I also do small tiny bites, and even putting my spoon down for 5 minutes in between bites. The food comes up very finally chewed.

Most times it happens after bites 1-4, and sometimes a 1/2 hr after my meal. This even happens w/ softs like Jello and sorbet. I've even sat in front of a nutritionist friend of mine and she watched me eat, and said I was doing everything right.

I know that most of these symptoms sound like PB'ing but its a little different, and its hard to explain to ppl who haven't seen me do it.

What do you guys think???

What do you guys think???
Your description sounds like a PB. Since you say it isn't a PB, how is it different?

Your symptoms sound a little different from a "typical" PB, but my PB's aren't "typical" either. I always have pain to the sides of & below my bellybutton when something is stuck... every single time, and it sounds very similar to what you're describing. Actually you rentire description sounds very much like what I go through when I PB, except I also get a significant pain in my spine between my shoulderblades.

Sometimes tiny bites and long breaks in between isn't enough. I'm convinced of this, because I've gotten stuck on things that shouldn't stick, on the tiniest bites possible - one bite in, ten bites in... completely random.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say "you're just PBing", but just that it could be a PB that is different from what anyone is telling you a PB is like.

I mostly have issues w/ cold foods, like said above it tends to make me tighter too :)

That does sound like a PB, although I have never had one so I cannot be sure. But I do know that if you are thinking it is dumping, and since you have never had gastric bypass the only other cause of dumping is a severe pancreatic and digestion illness. If you are concerned that it is not a PB then you should go to your primary care physician to be checked out.

thank you all for your input, im going back to my original nutritionist in a wk and well see what she says, I was just so afraid of doing something wrong or having an erosion. :lol: I am still adapting to everything, and soooooo afraid of messing up.

Thanks again.