Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Help and Advice!

Hello everybody,

I need some help and advice, and I really don't know if this is the right forum or not, but I thought I'd try here.

I was banded on July 26th of last year, and I've lost around 65 pounds. But, the problem is, I have only lost 4 pounds since the first of March.:think I haven't had a fill since December, so I have one scheduled for in the morning. The problem is though, I am terrified of being too tight. Right now, I still get a "stuck" feeling when I first start eating. But, after that passes I can eat quite a bit more than I could right after my last fill. I think maybe the stuck feeling is coming from the fact that maybe I still don't take small enough bites and chew enough, but I'm not sure. So, I guess my question is, do you all think I should get a fill? Ugh! I wish I knew what to do! Thank you for all of your help, and I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Denika,

You could Always have an unfill if it's too tight. Since your last fill have you lost weight? Thats what I would go by.

You have done so great with weight loss so far, don't beat yourself up by not loosing so fast or so slow, this is not a contest to see how fast you can loose. The fact that you went so long without getting a fill and still loosing weight was great.

I've had a real problem getting the proper restriction I guess because I have the large vanguard band. I've now had 3 fills and I have 7 cc's and I still only have some restriction. However my doc is going slowly with the fills because It's no fun to be overfilled.

I would get the fill. I would also be sure to take very, very small bites based on what you said, that seems to be the cause of the tightness when you first start eating.

Let's us know how you do with the new fill - remember to do liquids the first day or so.

Definitely get the fill. Like others have said, you can always unfill if it's unmanageable. Yea for the ADJUSTIBLE band!

When you first go to solids, if the first bite hurts, don't forget that to drink a sip or two of something hot can help to loosen the band a little so you can get your solid Protein and veggies in.

You're going to do great!

Wow! Thank you to all of you for writing me and giving me so much help! This is certainly a wonderful place filled with such nice and caring people!:biggrin1:

I did get a teeny tiny fill, and even though I'm only doing liquids right now, I can definitely tell a difference. I have to admit that I'm a little scared about being too tight. Hopefully things will be O.K though.:nervous

Tootarts,

I haven't lost much lately, so I guess I did the right thing by getting the fill. I have only lost 4 whopping pounds since March 1st! That's pretty bad, huh?I did lose a good amount right after I had my last fill in December, but then it obviously slowed way down. Maybe now I'll get another good jumpstart!

JulieK,

I am going to take your advice to heart, so I am determined to take small bites and chew really well when I do start eating solids. My doctor has you do three days of liquids and then three days of mushies after a fill, and I'm doing that, but yesterday afternoon I was so hungry I could have eaten my desk and my computer. Ugh!

JulieNYC,

I am going to do better with drinking something hot first just like you said. I try to do that, but now with the fill I'm sure I'm going to need to do that even more. By the way, I just got back from New York Saturday. My little boy goes to the doctor there, and we had to go back for a check-up. I love New York! It's very different from North Carolina!

Thank you so much for all of your help! I really do appreciate it!

Hey Denika, I'm glad you got your fill. I think you'll feel much better about things when you start seeing the weight loss starting up again. I fully agree with you about not wanting to be too tight. I am very cautious about that because I don't want to lose my band!

I've heard about people who have the "first bite syndrome". Just as you described, the first bite feels stuck but after that things calm down and you can eat a lot. What I've seen suggested is to drink some warm tea or coffee prior to eating to loosen up the band and stomach. I've also seen people suggest that you take a small bite, chew it very well, then wait about 5 minutes before continuing. From the reactions I saw to those suggestions, they both seemed to help.

I don't think you can relate the "first bite syndrome" to being too tight, because you say you can eat a lot afterwards, is that correct? If so then I think a fill was in order. But if you find yourself relying on softer, more high calorie foods, in order to be able to eat, that could account for your stop in weight loss and could indicate that you were too tight already.

Here is a link to a checklist that helps you determine if you need adjustments to your fill/restriction. I think it will help. Best of luck to you! I pray that you find just the right restriction and begin to see some progress again. You must be very frustrated!

http://lapbandtransformation.com/Adjustments.htm

By the way, while you are on liquids try Campbell's Chunky Bean and Ham Soup. I used to suggest the Bean with Bacon Soup, but the Chunky is much better for you - fewer calories, less salt, and more Protein. Just puree the soup in a blender until its liquid. Or eat right out of the can once you are on mushies again.

Also, remember to keep up on your Protein suppliments while you are in these stages. That will help you to not be so hungry.

Susan,

Thank you so much for sending that link, and for all of your terrific advice! I looked at your signature, and you have done so amazing well, that I think I need just come to your house and copy everything you do!

I did get my fill, and I am very happy that I did! I can already tell some with just liquids, but after a while I am so hungry! I'll be glad to get to my "mushies" stage! I am going to try to take a bite and then wait several minutes thing. I think that will really help. I am also going to check out that Soup you mentioned. It sounds wonderful!

I also wanted to ask you about something else. Isn't you and your husband who have both lost alot of weight? The reason why I'm asking is that my husband is overweight, (although he hides it very well at 6'4!) but he absolutely REFUSES to have any kind of surgery. He even has insurance that would cover lap-band, where I had to self-pay. He also refuses to go to the doctor for any kind of pill or anything. So, I was just wondering if you could tell me more about your husband. He isn't banded, is he? Does he just eat what you do? I'm sorry for being nosy, I'm just really concerned and worried for my husband.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Heyas Denika,

Yup, my husband (Dawg) has lost 72 pounds along with me. Basically, he eats his own food and not what I eat. Mostly because he doesn't like the same things I like but also because he needs larger quantities since he isn't banded. I was afraid of having to cook his meals and facing the temptaion to eat things I shouldn't, so we talked about it prior to my banding and decided he would try Healthy Choice meals for his dinners. He loves them. He can fix his own dinner in minutes. He gets a wide variety of foods he enjoys, and he never has to worry about making the choices because they are all good meals.

For Breakfast, we pack him a can of DelMonte Lite peaches or fruit coctail and sometimes a container of Fiber One Cereal with 1/2 cup of milk. Other times, he takes Quaker Healthy Heart Instant oatmeal.

For lunches, he usually relies on tuna. He carried the Starkist Tuna lunch packs for a long time. I have also packed him a nice large salad to which he will add a can of tuna and some fat free dressing. He also has a Pop Secret 100 pack of popcorn in the evenings for a snack.< /p>

Sometimes I will cook a roast in the crockpot, or some chicken on the grill. We also LOVE pork steaks marinated in Sesame Ginger and cooked on the grill. When I make these meats, we usually have a bowl of fresh fruits or a salad to complete the meal.

We have both sworn off all sugar and flour products. We both drink at minimum of 64oz of Water per day. And we are both slackers about exercise! *laughs* We are trying though. We bought a treadmill and got a gym membership. I think we are going to start swimming in the mornings before Dawg goes to work. There's a good example of positive thinking! LOL

Anyway, I hope this has helped. I can tell you that your husband will have to want this for himself and for you before he will be able to achieve the same success as Dawg has. This wasn't something I talked him into or made him do so it would be easier for me. This was something HE wanted as badly as I wanted my band. And he's the same way - refuses surgery or pills. :)

Wow! Your husband has done wonderfully too! You two are so inspiring!

I think your husband's diet sounds like something Jimmy could do, and I know he does WANT to do it. He changed jobs almost a year ago, and his new one is a lot more sedentary, so that hasn't helped matters much at all. Plus, during the winter he referees high school and college basketball, so he gets lots of exercise. But now, he's getting none. That's another thing we BOTH need to improve on.

Thank you so much for sharing what your husband has done with me. I am going to "gently" persuade him to do the same kind of diet after I tell him how great your husband has done! I really appreciate your help!