Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leak on Top of Pneumonia..

Yep that's right I am 5 weeks out and have been in the hospital the past week with a leak in my stomach and pneumonia. My surgeon came back early from vacation to take over care on my case. He said it is very rare that a leak happens this far out, but apparently it happens. I have been in the hospital 1 week tomorrow. 1 week it's driving me nuts!! I haven't got to tuck my kids in and kiss them goodnight in so long. My daughter is sleeping in bed with daddy because she misses me and wants to sleep where I sleep. Both children are sick now and there's nothing I can do to take care of them. Right now we are trying to go at a game plan to drain the Fluid that's built up because of the leak. Possibly putting in a stint at the same time. I go in on Monday for an upper GI and we will go from there on treatment. If nothing else I can resume treatment at home with the picc line they put in last week. I am taking nutrients through iv which I would contintue taking at home for a while if treatment goes home with me. I'm not loosing weight right now, but who cares as long as I get better I can get back on track later. LoL Just n update for anybody that was wondering how its going there you go..

Wow, get better soon. Sorry your going through all this

I am so sorry your going through this. As much as you miss your children, they're the ones that are going to pull you through this and get you on the road to recovery. You must have good doctors to leave their vacation to take care of you. I'm sure your going to be going home soon and feeling better. Keep us posted and take care. Janine

So sorry to hear this. You sound in pretty good spirits though and I'm glad you're well enough to at least be on line. Hopefully this will all be over very soon and will be nothing more than a memory. Wishing you all the very best for a speedy recovery and keep us posted.

So, so sorry you are going through this. I am glad your surgeon is taking care of you. I wish you a very speedy recovery. How did you realize you had a leak? I am sending positive and healing thoughts your way. Hugs!

Guys I didn't know I had a leak. Everyone says you will know if you have a leak I honestly did not know. I dealt with real bad gas pains the first couple of days that was in my left ribs as well as left part of my chest. When the pain started back I figured it was just the old gas making it's way out finally. I called the doctors office and they thought the same thing. There were never any red flags till 4 days later I was at the hospital in more pain. The 1st hospital I went to apparently had no intentions of finding out what was wrong with me. They did a ct of my heart and that was it. Everything showed up clean "hello my heart wasn't the problem" anyway they sent me home with pain meds and told me to take it easy. I went to dinner the next night and was feeling a little under the weather, but hey I had been hurting all week it was no different. Only this time I started running a temp of 103-104 by the time we got hom 3 hours later. The next morning hubby called my surgeon and he told him to get me back to the hospital. Although he was on vacation he can order test and scans to run. I arrived at the hospital and the nurse/hubby thought maybe I had just caught the flu and my body was just sore. Boy we were all wrong. The X-Ray showed I had pneumonia in my left lung as well as the bottom part of it being collapsed in. The ct scan that was done that night "full abdominal ct with contrast" showed an absess as well as Fluid. The fluid could only come from 1 place my stomach. Even though we can't see the leak we all know its there. I go in the morning for another EGD Scoping and hopefully get the fluid/absess drained.. Even though you are more then a month out if you feel there's something wrong get it looked at!! I should have listened to my body 2 weeks ago and had it looked at when I first started hurting. Instead I blamed it on gas. Now look at me a week in the hospital antibiotics constantly running through me and not to mention the horrible horrible pain I feel because of the fluid. The pneumonia is now cleared up so that's a plus but I can't go anywhere until the leak is better. I just hope my homecoming is sooner then later. I miss getting to see my babies all the time.. Take care of yourself and always do what the doctors tell you!!

Wow, poor thing! I feel for you and hope you get to go home to be with your kids soon. Get better and thank you for keeping us updated. I am less than a week out and it is good to hear your story because it makes me keep better tabs on my own body and what it is doing. I hope everything resolves quickly for you and you are home snuggling those babies very, very soon! ((hugs))

Yep that's right I am 5 weeks out and have been in the hospital the past week with a leak in my stomach and pneumonia. My surgeon came back early from vacation to take over care on my case. He said it is very rare that a leak happens this far out, but apparently it happens. I have been in the hospital 1 week tomorrow. 1 week it's driving me nuts!! I haven't got to tuck my kids in and kiss them goodnight in so long. My daughter is sleeping in bed with daddy because she misses me and wants to sleep where I sleep. Both children are sick now and there's nothing I can do to take care of them. Right now we are trying to go at a game plan to drain the Fluid that's built up because of the leak. Possibly putting in a stint at the same time. I go in on Monday for an upper GI and we will go from there on treatment. If nothing else I can resume treatment at home with the picc line they put in last week. I am taking nutrients through iv which I would contintue taking at home for a while if treatment goes home with me. I'm not loosing weight right now, but who cares as long as I get better I can get back on track later. LoL Just n update for anybody that was wondering how its going there you go..

I'm so sorry to hear of your leak and on top of that dealing with pneumonia... :( It does sound like you are addressing all the problems and you sound upbeat regardless. I know it's tough right now, just know everyone here is wishing you well!! PLEASE keep us updated on how you're doing.

Hugs!!!!