Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm home in SK and S T A R V I N G...

I was banded on Friday morning, we just got home today, and I'm so hungry I could cry. I'm on clear fluids until Friday and don't know what to do, I'm going through the "Oh my GOD what have I done, I can never eat again and I'm starving" mode right now. I'm actually drooling over SALADS....now I KNOW something is wrong when I'm drooling over lettuce. I can't believe how much I depend on food throughout every single day of my life, this is sick. I've been taking Boost (it's a new juice, considered a clear fluid), Propel, popsicles, a little bit of low cal cran/grape juice, Water, broth....is there anything else I can have? I've been following the TLBC post-op 1st week diet religiously. I have to be on clear fluids until Friday. I have some of that powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein supplement, can I add that to some juice or something or is that not considered a clear Fluid? I'm drinking all that I can, I get full after a few sips then I'm starving again 15 minutes later.

Someone please tell me this ends? Is this just because I'm on clear fluids or because I haven't had a fill yet, clear fluids aren't supposed to make you feel full right? Did everyone else go through this??

I was only on clear fluids for the first two days, and then it's the rest of two weeks on Optifast Protein Drink and other fluids, yogurt drinks, broth, strained low fat Soups, any lowfat lowsugar liquids. I find I do fine with hunger as long as I make sure I'm getting a full 60 grams of Protein in. I use ISOWhey BreeZer Protein Powder and add it to low sugar Fruit Drinks.< /p>

Hi Buffie.....are suffering from head hunger or stomach hunger? Actually, that soon after surgery I didn't desire food at all. It was even hard for me to take the amount of clear fluids that are listed on the post-op diet....still...at 11 days post op all I can get down is about 4 each 1/4 cup servings of creamed Soups on the full Fluid diets and 1/4 cup a day of no fat yogurt. However, I drink lots of Water with liquid Vitamins and tea through the day and have the odd popsicle and no sugar added Jello.

I do get head hunger every once in awhile. I live/work in our restaurant so I'm around food 24/7 and sometimes certain aromas will trigger head hunger....and this is an old habit for me, eating even when I'm not hungry.....but, this passes almost as fast as it comes.

I think its important to realize that you had a life before the band and eating was a very big part of it. There are many habitual behaviours that you will have to overcome..........and you will.

Carol

Hello, I was on Clear Liquids for 5 days, but even in the hospital I was given low fat yougurth and then only broth and juices.I know how you feel first few days I was ok cause the stomach was swollen but then it was terrible, yep definitely I was drooling over salads lol. Try the plain yougurth or cream Soup as someone suggested. Once on mushies you will be much better, Im two months from my op and Im on normal food and its great, dont worry, just survive the healing time (liquids)and you will be fine!

sugar free Popsicles gurantee to help with that hunger, it will be so worth it in the end. Buy more then one brand because they are not all good.

2 pounds gone already....you go girl.....take some pics and take your measurements so you can see your change. Try on something that is too tight and see how long it takes to get into it nicely. It is truly amazing what the body does.:)

I'm on clear liquids first week, thicker liquids 2nd week, mushies 3rd week, and 4th soft foods. I have been stomach hungry from the beginning. I finally when I got close to the end of the 1st week took a thicker Soup and thinned it out with skim milk. It was a little more filling than just the broth. I also had won ton soup without the won tons and strained. The broth was real good. Last night was the end of my clear liquids and I had a can of cream of Tomato Soup. I felt so full and good and got a good nights sleep. I also have to drink 1-3 Protein drinks a day. I have been able to drink 2-3 day. My doctor doesn't want any powdered Protein so I can't use the unjury I bought for the purpose of adding to my foods.

Good luck.

*sigh*...

Hi Buffie. First of all, you are doing great! As Woodys said, a lot of it might be head hunger. I wasn't physically hungry for a couple of weeks and also found it hard to get the required amount down. But, I lived for the popsicles! Yes, you can add the Protein powder to your clear fluids...as long as it doesn't thicken....so you are good to go there. That will help with your hunger.

As for the *sigh*. Plse just do what the TLBC tells you to do...do NOT listen to others who come on here and say "they" did this or that and to "go for it". That is just harmful advice and it ticks me off to no end! Can you tell? Listen to what the TLBC told you and follow their plan. Yes, I think it may be more stringent than some of the others out there BUT it is better for you in the long run. Not only will it help you heal better but it will jump start you and then you won't feel as "hungry" when you do start on your solids.

I followed exactly what TLBC told me...yes, it was reallllly difficult at times but just try and put your mind onto something else. And...certainly drink whenever you like.....the clears and then after the first week the full fluids. YOU CAN DO IT!!! If I can you can....trust me!! LOL.

Focus and think of the big picture.....good luck.

:canada: :canada:

yoda is right, you can add Unjury to a box of Jello to get your Protein in that way. go to the unjury site and it will tell you how to add the powder to jello. i ate it many times, it did not affect the taste at all, the jello will not look clear anymore is all. you can even double the amount of powder

for super protein jello. if you can get all your protein in, you will not feel so starved. chew gum, suck on sugar free hard candy, whatever works---you can do this.........go, girl, go:biggrin1:

Buffie: I can't stress enough how much Yoda is right, do what the PROFESSIONALS instructed you to do, they have a reason for it. Everybody is different, so what may have been okay for someone else, may not be okay for you. This is not a situation where there is room to generalize.

I have my "patient file" here from the TLBC....I want to share something with you that may help to explain why the diet is designed the way it is.

The following is an excerpt from the Lapband instruction book (produced by the manufacturers of the band) that I have to pass onto my GP when he gets ready to do my first fill:

"Immediately after surgery you will be put on a diet. For the first three weeks, you will only be allowed liquid food. For another two weeks you will be restricted to mashed food. Thereafter, you will gradually be able to introduce normal food into your diet.

Your Doctor or your dietician will provide you with a diet plan for this period. The diet is necessary to enable the body to heal. During the healing process, tissue adhesions develop and help fix the band in place.

Patients who eat solid food too soon after their operation run the risk of dislocating the band, thus developing an enlargement of the new upper gastric pouch. This leads to poor weight loss and in some cases the need to reoperate."

Therefore: Follow the Dr's orders. And be patient.....only good can come from this if you pay attention to your body and follow the program.

Good Luck

Carol

Good post Woodys.

And to those of you who may have the desire to write and say something along the lines of , "well MY doctor said....I could do this or that or whatever". Just don't bother. It doesn't relate to Buffie's query and it doesn't truthfully assist her. Woodys and I are speaking from the fact that we were banded by the same drs at the same facility as Buffie.

That is all well and good if your doctors told you something different and it worked for you. All we are saying is that Buffie should try her best to follow the instructions given by HER doctor. We aren't saying that what you did is wrong or bad...just not what her doctor advises.

HANG IN THERE BUFFIE!!!! It will be soooo worth it in the long run! Take it one minute at a time if you have to.

Hi Buffie. Your weight loss has been great so far!! Just concentrate on healing, do what the Dr. wants. A few days will go by, and boom a few more pounds gone and onto more than Clear Liquids. It helped me to go to my bedroom, watch TV and relax and heal.(away from the kitchen) Take advantage of this time to do nothing but sit(and a little walking to please the doc). Before long life will be asking more of you again.:o

First off...congrats

Secondly......you have already lost 22 pounds

Thirdly.......it's all downhill from here!!!!!! yippeee

I was banded on Thursday and drooled over a veggie craker tonight, took one nibble and grabbed a popsicle. I can't wait until I can blend up some (half fat) cream of mushroom Soup. It will get better but you need to change your focus and look at acheiving some other personal goals to take your mind off old bad habits.

It will get easier when you have established new eating habits but I do understand how your feeling. They brought pizza into the office today and it was all I could do to not just take a pc. into my office...chew it and spit it back out just to taste it.......lol No, I didn't and after the smell was gone, glad I didn't.

Just think, in another week you will be down another 5 pounds or so and can start blending stuff and all the taste you miss will be back. Yep, if I keep saying it....I too will believe it....lol

Chin up, we share the same boat........next week, a tuna boat!

I just want to encourage you to take it one day, or one popsicle, at a time. You took a big step and made a big decision to get the band, and you are worth it. Now, treat yourself like you are worth it, and follow your instructions. You want to HEAL. The better this goes, the better the rest of the journey will go. You have read about problems with the band...and you'll never know if the people with the problems followed their dr.'s instructions to the letter or not. You WILL know if you did. Take care of yourself. Focus on your goal and what you want to achieve, not what you cannot have for the moment. You will eat again, just less! Good luck! Cindy