Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Teaching Job!! What would you do???

Ok, so you guys/gals know that I have been desperate or money for my classes. I have been teaching technology and art, both of which require materials... and lots of them. With all of the budget cuts there is absolutely no hope of the school investing in either of my programs because they are not TAKS related, and therefore "unimportant".

At the same time I have been writing grants, researching, and begging for my current classes, I have been applying for other jobs. I am convinced that if I work at a larger district I will have more resouces and that will make my life easier.

Actually interviewed for a job last week, and think I have it. (Their HR department called this morning wanting my social, because they rec'd a recommendation for hire. :kiss ) I would be going from a small 3A to a larger 3A.

It would be a full time Art position, classes of 25, one prep of Art I (instead of the five I have now), mostly freshmen, with a nice size budget and they have equipment (kiln, etc).

Know there are teachers out there. What do you think???

Teacher to teacher....I think it's a good move!!! I teach in a chapter 41 school, but we get lots of grants so I have more than enough materials/resources. It sounds like you are already excited about the new position!!! Hope you enjoy it! I envy anyone with artistic talents!!! Susan

I teach at a school with all the resources and parents who give even more... go for it. It is sad though that those other kids will be loosing such a great advocate.... Good luck

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you. I know that changing schools can often be an emotional decision. It's always hard to leave behind old friends and memories. A change, however, can be very exciting. I opened a new elementary in our district two years ago and I absolutely love it! Good luck with this exciting new turn in your life. Recently banded and an exciting new job offer--sounds like you're off to a fantastic start!

P.S. What district did you get an offer in? By the way I teach in a Frisco Elementary for Lewisville ISD. You know how crazy school district attendance zones can be.

They called me. I got the job. I accepted the job. So exited and scared at the same time!!!

Thanks for all of the advice. I do feel sad for leaving the school I am at, but must think of my family too. ($5000.00 raise...cha-ching)

Hubby is excited. Now we get to move!!! He has been wanting to move for a while now!

I figure I will call my most clingy students (have about 4) just to let them know. Don't want to hurt them at all if possible.

Oh my gosh. I just found out that my old school is not going to replace me. Don't know if that is an insult or what. I know I am irreplaceable, but common. They are going to double/triple up on the teachers that are staying there. Really sad. :o I feel bad about leaving the friends I have to be dumped on, but I am so glad to be outta there.

Wish the education community would understand that they do need to think about their employees. We are not all marters, and do need to be treated fairly. But they want to save a buck...

So happy for you! Especially since they are eliminating your program! I sent my entire career working in small rural schools who are struggling. Most paid state base only. Art classes consisted of play dough and crayons.......and the kids brought their own. TAKS has ruined the whole idea of 'well-rounded education.' My DIL teaches in a wealthy district in the north of Dallas.....I'm in awe of what they have there!

Best wishes to you!!!

Congradulations Poodles. It was a good decision for you and your family. Its sad to leave behind friends, but you must look forward now. New control on your diet, new job, and soon a new house. WOW, life is good. :)

Thanks all. I just can't stop smiling like the Cheshire Cat! This is a great move.

I feel like a totally new person. Once I get this stupid hernia surgery out of the way (Friday) and start losing weight I may never quit grinning!

I am not a teacher, but I am a parent. A parent of a daughter who loved her art classes for 2 years then she said it just changed, and she moved on as well. In hind sight (always 20/20 I guess) I wonder if it wasn't budget cuts that caused the change. My thoughts on this are

#1. The new job sounds like it was meant to be for you...go for it!!!

#2. I would submit a letter to the school board letting them know why I felt the need to look elsewhere in the beginning.

#3. I would consider writing a letter to the editor of one of your local papers, or submitting an op/ed peice in regards to this. I was very involved in my kids school life, but as they got older it was less so,(HS doesn't have room moms!!!) and even being involved, I may have missed the severity of the budget cuts on some of the classes. So possibly many parents, grandparents, even other interested alumni, etc. have no idea of the difficulties in supplying the classes.

Good Luck on your new adventure!

Kat

I had thought about writing a letter to the school board/etc, but don't want to seem like a "bad apple". Don't want to burn any bridges either, because you never know what may happen (I may want to go back). It is sad that TAKS determines what is important.

My former principal once told me to make sure I brought all of the subject areas into my Art class. I told him we have the other classes because of Art. Before there was a written language there were pictures on walls. Language is an ART, geometric shapes are ART (or can be), Music is ART, we know our history because of ART. It really upsets me that they think Art is less important.

There have been studies on higher order thinking skills (which we try to develop in our students) and those with more skills are experienced in Art and Music. Wonder when they will come out with a TAKS test for Art? I don't think they have it because creativity can not be adequately measured. But that is just one Art teachers opinion.:biggrin1:

Congrats on the new job!

You may or may not remember, I answered your question about how to get supplies last month. I teach in CFB, and have for 29 years. I dearly love teaching, and work with the at-risk students in an alternative ed. setting. We had an art program and they ditched it, because "we were sending so much money to the state due to Robin Hood."

Please don't wish for a TAKS test in art...(I suspect you were tongue-in-cheek there); what we need is LESS testing, not more, for goodness sake! I understand why you would not want to burn bridges...teachers can really incur some consequences for speaking out. I say it's like the Emperor's New Clothes. The person who tells the truth will not be believed, and all the people who agree with the top person will move up, regardless of their effectiveness.

What I'm wanting to tell you, Poodles, is not to feel guilty for one minute. There are plenty of kids who need you, and you may as well maximize your situation while you are at it. I figured this out after my 25th year in the district...in the same district I grew up in, and went to 12 years of school...I received a postcard saying "congratulations" and I knew then that my longevity in that district was WAY more important to me than it would ever me to the administration. Contact your special students, and know that you have done the right thing.

If you are a parent reading this, get involved in your school district and find out what they are spending your money on. You'll have to dig, because most of the administrative costs will be hidden in "student resources" or some category like that. Find out what is being spent on special programs that benefit very few students, and find out how many administrative positions there are to support those programs. You'll soon find out why kids can't have basic art supplies and art teachers, or music, or any of the things we used to have when I was in school, presumably when we had much less money than we have now...hhmmmmm?

Good luck, Poodles, and I know you'll enjoy your new job!