Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was very nervous the night before my surgery. I couldn't convince myself to drink the bowel cleanser. It was as if I drank that then I was "sealing the deal". Finally after a little hissy-fit, a lot of gagging, and a good kick in my butt by myself, I drank it. I took it at 10p. My surgery was the next day at 8:45a. Went to bed at about midnight, the bowel cleanser started to work around 2a..not explosive, thank goodness, but continued to work every couple of hours. Checked into the hospital at 5:30a. They called me back around 7a. Was lying in pre-op talking w/ docs and anesthesia and asked to see my husband before surgery. (He also was having the surgery, after me) My husband came back about 20min later and he said a quick little prayer in my ear. Talked some more to someone from the medical team and started to feel dizzy. Room was spinning...this lasted about 30 seconds. Don't know why it happened, but she wasn't concerned. Anesthesia told me they would wake me up after surgery to pull out the breathing tube...I was very worried about this..they said not everybody remembers it. Took me into surgery room, started setting me up, but a mask on my face and told me to take a few breaths...I only remember taking two. I woke up feeling pretty awful. Although, it's only been 3 days, I can't remember what was feeling awful but I remember whimpering quite a bit. (Funny thing is my husband woke up in a terrific mood no pain whatsover) The first day was rough and I used my morphine pump every 8 minutes. The pain was mostly gas. I MUST STATE that I didn't once regret the surgery during this time...just was counting the minutes for the pain to subside. The pain lessened every couple hours. And it was trapped gas that was causing the pain. The next day I did get up and walk around a few times, but the gas was still bothersome so I didn't walk as much as I should. I have some Water retaining in my stomach so I'm kinda bloated. I keep getting a side cramp. Once I lie down, it goes away. Today my goal is to walk a few minutes until the cramp is too bothersome and then lie down for about 30 minutes. The pain is really nothing. I'm a 1 on 10 scale. The gas started moving out the second day and I started feeling bettter. I have a little stomache rumbling today which in the past I would have considered hunger, but I don't know that it's what it is. I drink and it helps, so maybe it's just that, rumbling. I loved my doctor and his staff was incredible. Both at the hospital and at his office. His pricing is incredible, I am self pay...I had a sleeve for $10,500 TOTAL. The hospital fee is what seems to be the big difference in fees. The hospital was the majority of the bill--$7500. So, if you want to stay in the states, Detroit is definitely worth checking into. Dr. Wood in Madison Heights, MI. If you have any more questions of me, feel free to ask. Oh, btw...I was awakened to pull the breathing tube out and the Doc spoke to me, but I remember nothing of it!!

That is awesome transplant - thanks for sharing your story! Congrats to both you and Hubby!

My husband said he wished he could get the sleeve too so we would be able to go through all of this together. Of course he's not heavy enough - but the thought was very touching. You're so lucky that you both can do this together and "get" one another.

Blessings!!