Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why chewable vitamins?

I already take a lot of medication that is swallowed due to unrelated health problems and have not had any intolerance's. So can I get Vitamins to swallow now too?

I was told to keep taking chewable to get the maximum absorption.

chewable Vitamin C can be bad for your teeth...so that's a no no. I don't know about the "better absorption" thing. I'd have to do some research on that.

chewable Vitamin C can be bad for your teeth...so that's a no no. I don't know about the "better absorption" thing. I'd have to do some research on that.

I was wondering about it too. It's just what I was told. Let me know if you find anything. I would rather take pills.< /p>

The majority of nutrient/vitamin absorption occurs in the intestines so it doesn't matter be it chewable or pill form. I'm a big 34 year old kiddo trapped in an adult altered body so I stick to chewables. They've worked for me thus far on my labs, I take Celebrate Vitamins so it's not like I'm chowing down on kid's Vitamins. I've always taken high quality vitamins formulated for adults, and have never been led astray. As long as you taking the recommended value of vitamins, and ensuring that your other medications will not effect the absorption, then pill form of vitamins are just fine. My husband thinks it's absurd that I still use chewables, but it's what works for me. I figure if I'm going to take vitamins, I might as well enjoy it. I have zero issue swallowing pills, I don't gag, nothing gets caught, I'm just lazy and like my chewables. Plus, I have found the perfect combination of a multi with Iron and a Calcium citrate that I can work with and give me everything I need in just 4 chewables per day. Not to shabby considering my other regimen had me taking 8 per day.

Here is a great little reference diagram that shows where all the various "stuff" is actually absorbed. It's for RNY patients since they have malabsorption, BUT, it's a great reference for all of us. We don't have to worry about malabsorption with the exception of B12 so make sure you are supplementing B12 either sublingually or injectable.

RNY-Nutrient-Absorption-897x1024.jpg

Tiff- Where can you get the type of Vitamins that you take? My NUT told me to get the kids chewable ones and I have been taking Flinstones and I HATE them. I stopped taking them for a while because I just couldn't stand the taste. I tried the One-a-Day pills, but I threw up after, probably because it was on an empty stomach.

I take Multivitamin pill, it's called Complete Ultra Women's from Walmart's own brand. I feel nauseous if I take it in the morning on an empty stomach so I usually take it at night with no problems.

You can find decent Vitamins at any health food store, or places which carry a decent selection of "natural" and/or organic products. Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Fred Meyer, etc. A friend of mine has a store in Belfair, WA called Dragoun's Leir which is part gift shop part supplement and natural lifestyle store. Nancy would probably be more than happy to ship things to you. She's been a nurse for a bazillion years and has a ton of knowledge about these things. You could probably contact her and she could give you an idea of what you need.

NOW is a good brand. Try to stay away from Wal Mart, Safeway, Kroger, etc brands. They typically do not have the same quality of ingredients. Also, remember, that just because a pill says you get 100% of (example) Vitamin B, you will not actually absorb that much. You don't need to really, but just be aware that you will not. How much you absorb has to do with the quality of the product, as well as your digestive system and other stuff.

As far as taking childrens vitamins...think about it. Why are Seniors supposed to take a "senior" formula and why are pregnant women supposed to take a "pregnancy" formula? It is because they have different needs. Just try to get an idea of what you need, then look at the ingredients, how much are there and where they come from (as a vegetarian, finding vegetarian formulas can be tricky for me). Some sources are not as good as others.

Okay...about to nod off...night night all.

Tiff- Where can you get the type of Vitamins that you take? My NUT told me to get the kids chewable ones and I have been taking Flinstones and I HATE them. I stopped taking them for a while because I just couldn't stand the taste. I tried the One-a-Day pills, but I threw up after, probably because it was on an empty stomach.

Celebratevitamins.com

this is the Multivitamin I am on currently:

https://www.celebratevitamins.com/shop/multivitamin/multi-complete.html

Here's the calcium citrate plus 500

https://www.celebratevitamins.com/shop/calcium/calcium-plus-500.html

Since the multi has Iron, I can't take it within 2 hours of the Calcium since Iron impedes the absorption of calcium. So, I either take 1 calcium or 1 multi in the morning, repeat around lunch, then before dinner I take the opposite of one that I took in the morning, and then before bed I take another one. I only need 1000mg of calcium citrate per day.

You can email Celebrate, and tell them you had VSG, they will send you samples of the Vitamins. I like the Berries and Cream and the Cherry Tart in the Calcium Citrate Plus 500, and the Forest berry is the only flavor in the Multi, and it's yummy.

I will say these chewables are different than other chewables I've used. When I chew them up, they start dissolving so there isn't a lot of crud stuck in your teeth, or any lingering after taste. They are chewable so there is some texture, but not like Tums or too chalky. I do like the little chewy Calcet Creamy Bites, but at 35-40 calories and 5-7grams of carbs per chewy creamy bite, that's 80 calories, and up to 14grams of carbs because we need at least 2 of them per day. So, they were not worth it to me in the losing stage.