Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. C - another one

Dr. C, I just passed my one year band anniversary with a total loss of 33lbs. I have good restriction and only PB if I eat way too fast. I know my band works - I have 1.75cc in my 4cc band - when I was filled to 2cc I was only able to get soft foods and sips of liquid and even my aftercare Dr. said well at least we know it works as I had my band in MX. I follow the rules of bandsters and work out at Curves 3 times a week and yoga once or twice a week on top of that.

My 33lbs loss has been anything BUT STEADY. My day of surgery I was at my highest of 293lbs - today I sit at 260, but still struggle with the same few lbs. I lost 10 right out of surgery, another 5 over the next few months getting fills until last November was my last fill and I didn't lose anything for quite awhile until just this past March when I dropped another 10 after going on South Beach diet after being fed up with not losing anymore. Now I'm struggling to maintain that loss. I don't overeat at all, I make good choices most of the time, and I'm excercising 3-5 times a week. Before you say I could be gaining muscle, I am a little but not enough to make a big difference. I'm still wearing the same size clothing as my surgery day but they just fit a lot better instead of being skin tight.

I contacted my Dr.'s office and explained that I've only lost 33lbs in one year and if I needed to come in for a check up even though I don't need a fill because I have comfortable restriction. His nurse said it was all up to me to decide as this is a personal journey for everyone. I don't want to waste my money as I'm self pay for my insurance does not cover any of this. So what would you suggest in my situation? My mom is starting to think the surgery hasn't been effective that my progress should be more than what it is - I'm starting to feel like a failure, I've tried everything. Do I need a tighter fill? I like my restriction, I don't really have to worry too much about what I can and can't eat - pretty much everything goes down as long as I'm careful and take my time and I like that. And around that time of the month is when I have "perfect restriction" where some things are a struggle and I have to give up and eat Jello. I am hungry 3-5 hours after I eat a meal. Thanks for being here for us!

I'm not Dr. C., but I have found something that may help you.

See, the only thing that seems to work for me is actually counting calories in-calories out. I log EVERYTHING that I eat and calculate the calories the best I can. But anyhow, to calculate calories I burn I wear this thing called a BodyBugg on my arm. It calculates every single calorie that I, personally burn every day. I can isolate activities and determine the best way to burn the most amount of calories. It's not only motivating, it tells me, without fail, how much weight I'm going to lose in a given week if I log my food. I can also tell the application what my weight loss goals are and in what time frame and it will suggest a workout and eating course of action. I just upload my calories burned each day before 6:00 PM and then I know how many calories I can eat for dinner, or how much more I need to work out if I eat a few more calories. Heck, I even know that if I take the stairs at work each day instead of the elevator that translates into an extra .9 pound loss for me each month.

Anyhow, you don't necessarily need a BodyBugg to count calories in-calories out. I did it for a very long time with a fair amount of accuracy and was usually able to determine how much weight loss I'd net in a week.

So there's my two cents. Good luck to you in finding what works for you! I know weight loss is frustrating, and on top of that I'm sure the band just isn't working the way you'd hoped it would. Hang in there, girl! I know you can do it.

interesting a boddy bugg huh? i'm going to google - how expensive is it? is it a computer program? would you mind explaining a bit more? thanks

Sure, I can explain a bit more...

I paid $495 for the expensive little sucker! Yeah, it's a pricey mother. But I pay $35 each time I want my base metabolism (BMR) tested and I do that about every other month, so I sort of justify it by saying that it can calculate my BMR anytime I want and I don't have to pay extra for it... plus it can do a lot more!

The actual unit slips onto the back of your right tricep and it looks like an mp3 player. There is a wireless receiver you plug into your computer. When you're ready to "upload" your caloric expenditures for the day (including how many steps you've taken) you log into an online application, push a button on your BodyBugg and it uploads the information wirelessly. The web application itself has SO many uses, and it calculates everything in conjunction with the stats that come from your food log and your BodyBugg. When I purchased it I got 4 BodyBugg training sessions with my personal trainer (one fine fox of a man who I don't mind spending extra time with AT ALL), who, in 4 sessions that built on each other, explained exactly how to use it and make the most of it.

Really you could argue that the BodyBugg does nothing but state what you're already doing. But knowing is half the battle, don't you think? If I know that two 20-minute workout sessions are better than one 40-minute session then I'm going for the two 20-minute sessions! I'm more likely to walk than drive fairly short distances as well because I know that later that evening I'll be able to see exactly how many calories I burned doing it. It's very motivating.

I believe you can buy this at 24-hour fitness. I got mine at my Crossroads Fitness gym.

Anyhow, you do what works for you. And if this tool is too much money at the moment, at least meticulously logging a food journal and getting your BMR tested will help you to estimate how much weight you can lose.

wow that sounds awesome but definately out of my price range! technology is so wonderful these days and if I had the money I'd totally do it - thanks for all the great information!

I'm with puddinpie, counting calories really help. In the Maryland forum we post under What R We Eating, daily. Use fit day or some on line program to see how many calories you are consuming and guess at how many calories you are burning to get an idea of what is going on.

Strength training is excellent but if you want to see a drop. Do cardio, walking is great for an hour a day. Eat more Protein and cut back on the white carbs, do more whole grain carbs ie wheat bread, brown rice. Be sure Portion Control is there. If you are eating fast food, stop for 1 or 2 weeks and you will see the diffrence. If you add in more veggies with your Protein you will be full all day.

If you are eating junk, candy or chips, you are eating around your band.

Good Luck Candy

Avon makes some sort of little calculator counter too. It was only 12.95, I'll look for it and post the info if I can find it. It was pretty cool and I should probably be using it myself right now.

erin the rd...cute!

Hey, you two keep the conversation on the boards...I wanna read and learn! If you don't mind, Candysmooch. Will ya'll do that? I'm kind of in the same boat, so this is good reading for me.

(Hey Candy...good to see you! :wave:

ok, it's all up to you candy whether you want this on the main board. I have my pt's that are losing slowly do a few things. I want you to keep track of what your eating for the next 4-5 days...if it goes in your mouth write it down...I'm talking beverages, Condiments everything. Don't forget about the amounts either. I also want an exercise log too for those days your recording. If you are only doing the Curves 3x per week (which is really good) I would try to increase that....whether it be another work-out, walking, swimming, etc...

Do you have a certain Protein level you are trying to acheive? All of my pt's get an exact range they should be getting in that's based on their goal weight. If you don't have one let me know and I'll figure out the level. My pt's are also told to stick with 45-60 gm/carb per day and 4-5 gm of fat per meal. You might try to alter you diet if any of those are out of range.

I look forward to helping you! Talk to you soon!

erin (the dietitian)

Thank you RD......while you are here..:guess...do you have any veggie suggestions for a pt in the mushy stage...:) .

A lot of pt's like the mashed cauliflower...kinda like mased potatoes but not as many carbs...Here's a recipe for it

Mock Mashed Potatoes

• 2 cups cauliflower, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon sour cream, or more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1. <LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000">Steam or microwave cauliflower until very soft. <LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000">Put cauliflower in blender or food processor with butter and sour cream, blend.
  2. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

I also really like steamed carrots and green Beans until they were really mushy and put some of that spray on I Can't Believe it's not butter (seriously there's nothing in it...no calories, carbs, sodium, ...NOTHING) That gives it some buttery flavor without the guilt :)

Hope that helped!

Erin

Thank you so much Dr. C and Erin - I have emailed you back. We can keep most of the discussion on the board if its beneficial to others, I have no problem with that. I'm verry happy that there are still people out there who love their jobs of helping others like me :) I look forward to trying to jump start my weight loss. My problem is I'd like it to be slow steady weight loss not going 6 months on a plateu and then bam somehow I lost 5lbs only to platueu again.

I don't really do fast foods, junk food, or sweets anymore - only if I find myself in an absolute bind. chips, I buy the multi-grain baked wheat thin crackers or baked veggie chips. I do sugar free things, like Jello & cool whip, sugar free pudding cups, no sugar added fruit bars - sugar free coffee Creamer. No sodas, except on a very rare occasion. I only drink Water, propel, or crystal light, only 2-4 cups of coffee on an average week.

I really don't think I have a Portion Control issue - I do think I eat more than the standard 1 cup of food - maybe more 1 1/2 depending on how hungry I am, but I really like the level of restriction I have although I could allow to be slightly tighter if you think that would be beneficial Erin or Dr. C.

Looking forward to this. Many thanks :P

Before I was banded, I used a great site www.calorieking.com It is very helpful. It really helped me plan meals, keep track of calories, they have a wealth of information and help. I haven't used them lately as I am having problems (7 weeks since banded) and can't keep anything down at all. The Calorie King site is easy to use and inexpensive about $19.95 per year.