Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My story, my surgery 12/21/10, my struggle

Hey guys and gal my name is Lorraine I am 33years old living in Brooklyn, NY I had my surgery on 12/21/10 at Lenox Hill hospital in Manhattan, NY my Dr name is Michell Roslin today I celebrated my 4th week since my surgery I am still struggling mentally this surgery is so much harder than I thought it would be I have been depressed for over 3 weeks this is my 2nd day feeling ok I felt like i am the only one feeling this way so I deceided to look online for a place of support and I hope I can find it on this site. I would appreciate any help you guys can help me with going during this process and how to navigate this website.

Thank you

Lorraine

Starting weight 304 pounds

Weight at surgery 287

Weight as of today 1/19/11--- 268 pounds

My height 5'3

Hey Lorraine-

So cool I also had my surgery there....same practice just different dr. I am 9 weeks post op and have been struggling with the same feelings of depression. I actually have done very well with the weight loss went from 253# to 208 this am. I try and remind myself that we underwent major surgery and our bodies are trying to cope with alot! Plus the liquid phase is the pits but as soon as you can start eating normal foods you

will feel like a whole new person.

I have decided that the depression I am having is because it has been there for a long time...I used food to cover up uncomfortable feelings though. Now I cannot use food the same way and those feelings need to be dealt with. And they will as time moves on.....food was my bandaid.....now its an open wound.

Ok so do I sound like a crazy person or what????!!!LOL What do you think?

I totally apologize to whoever posted this in the active posts yesterday. I copied it and saved for myself for reference after my surgery. When I saw Lorraine's post today I thought it might be helpful for her too.

From the LapSF newsletter.

Many people can't imagine becoming depressed AFTER losing weight. However, depression can occur after weight loss surgery or when undergoing any time of major lifestyle change. Possible causes of depression after WLS may include:

- Mourning the loss of food for comfort. If food has always been your "friend" or something you depended on when feeling sad, stressed or lonely, saying "goodbye" can be difficult.

- Mourning the loss of pre-operative lifestyle. For example, feeling left out while socializing, participating in holiday rituals, or when dining in restaurants.

- Reactions from others. Relationships with loved ones can change or become strained. Reactions to weight loss may be negative or jealous, or otherwise unsupportive friends/family may resort to "sabotage." Positive reactions or increased attention from others can lead to feelings of discomfort, vulnerability, or resentment.

- Having unrealistic expectations. For example, thinking that everything will get better after surgery or that your emotional eating or other disordered eating habits will simply disappear.

- Hormonal changes. For some women, estrogen is released while fat is burned to make energy. This release of estrogen may cause mood swings.

- Body image discrepancies. After rapid weight loss, you do not recognize yourself or lose a sense of self. You may experience a loss of identity between the inner and outer you.

The postoperative blues typically occur during the first few weeks or months after surgery and subside over time. However, if you find that your symptoms are worsening or are beginning to interfere with your relationships, work, or daily functioning, it is time to seek help from a medical professional.

Hope you find this helpful Lorraine! My surgery is 1/29/11, so I am preparing to be where you are soon!

Take care,

Sue

Have you tried journaling at all? I am just in the beginning of my journey, so I am nowhere near my surgery day. I find that writing down my feelings and getting everything out without having to worry about someone else's reactions is helpful. Good luck to you!

Hey Caity Cait thank you so much for responding it is cool that we went to the same place who was your dr? I do not think you are crazy at all I have used food for the same reason it has been my cover up for every damn thing in my life so i guess we are both crazy lol have you been to the support group? i am going to try it out this thursday and see if i can get some comforting words but I know i have to deal with my issues with food but man its hard. Congratulations on your weight loss that is awesome :)

Hey Lorraine-

So cool I also had my surgery there....same practice just different dr. I am 9 weeks post op and have been struggling with the same feelings of depression. I actually have done very well with the weight loss went from 253# to 208 this am. I try and remind myself that we underwent major surgery and our bodies are trying to cope with alot! Plus the liquid phase is the pits but as soon as you can start eating normal foods you

will feel like a whole new person.

I have decided that the depression I am having is because it has been there for a long time...I used food to cover up uncomfortable feelings though. Now I cannot use food the same way and those feelings need to be dealt with. And they will as time moves on.....food was my bandaid.....now its an open wound.

Ok so do I sound like a crazy person or what????!!!LOL What do you think?

thank you so much Sue I did read this yesterday and it is so true congratulations on your surgery date where are you having surgery?

I totally apologize to whoever posted this in the active posts yesterday. I copied it and saved for myself for reference after my surgery. When I saw Lorraine's post today I thought it might be helpful for her too.

From the LapSF newsletter.

Many people can't imagine becoming depressed AFTER losing weight. However, depression can occur after weight loss surgery or when undergoing any time of major lifestyle change. Possible causes of depression after WLS may include:

- Mourning the loss of food for comfort. If food has always been your "friend" or something you depended on when feeling sad, stressed or lonely, saying "goodbye" can be difficult.

- Mourning the loss of pre-operative lifestyle. For example, feeling left out while socializing, participating in holiday rituals, or when dining in restaurants.

- Reactions from others. Relationships with loved ones can change or become strained. Reactions to weight loss may be negative or jealous, or otherwise unsupportive friends/family may resort to "sabotage." Positive reactions or increased attention from others can lead to feelings of discomfort, vulnerability, or resentment.

- Having unrealistic expectations. For example, thinking that everything will get better after surgery or that your emotional eating or other disordered eating habits will simply disappear.

- Hormonal changes. For some women, estrogen is released while fat is burned to make energy. This release of estrogen may cause mood swings.

- Body image discrepancies. After rapid weight loss, you do not recognize yourself or lose a sense of self. You may experience a loss of identity between the inner and outer you.

The postoperative blues typically occur during the first few weeks or months after surgery and subside over time. However, if you find that your symptoms are worsening or are beginning to interfere with your relationships, work, or daily functioning, it is time to seek help from a medical professional.

Hope you find this helpful Lorraine! My surgery is 1/29/11, so I am preparing to be where you are soon!

Take care,

Sue

Hey blue no i haven't started writing down my thoughts and i should thank you so much

Have you tried journaling at all? I am just in the beginning of my journey, so I am nowhere near my surgery day. I find that writing down my feelings and getting everything out without having to worry about someone else's reactions is helpful. Good luck to you!

thanks to all...for the post and the comments...i don't have anything profound to chime in with, just wanted to say Thanks for the virtual support!!!

Hey Caity Cait thank you so much for responding it is cool that we went to the same place who was your dr? I do not think you are crazy at all I have used food for the same reason it has been my cover up for every damn thing in my life so i guess we are both crazy lol have you been to the support group? i am going to try it out this thursday and see if i can get some comforting words but I know i have to deal with my issues with food but man its hard. Congratulations on your weight loss that is awesome :)

Dr. P Shah was my surgeon, absolutely adore the man!!!!! I live far away so I am not able to attend the support groups that is why I was trying to reach out via online.......because I was feeling depressed. This is really neat!