Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretching Your Sleeve

Contrast study. But, it's very unlikely that you've stretched your sleeve unless the surgery was not performed properly. Meaning the surgeon would have to have left a large portion of the fundus behind.

Sleeves mature around 6-12 months out. I'm at max capacity even though I've figured out ways to cheat the sleeve. I've been eating the same quantities for a solid 12 months if I follow all the sleeve eating guidelines.

Tiffany - I am not quite 8 months out and have just noticed I can eat a little more. The group at my surgeon's office said they didn't want me ever eating more

than 3/4 - 1 cup of food. I'm not eating that much 'solid' food. I can eat a half cup of home made Soup and a half slice of bread. Do you think what I am eating now is what I can expect to be eating a year from now? That should put me about where you are....maybe a little further out. It would be great if this is it. I hate "not knowing" - it would be nice if we knew what life was going to be like three or four years from now! The person after your post asked.....what are the sleeve eating guide lines, tell us! =)

Contrast study. But, it's very unlikely that you've stretched your sleeve unless the surgery was not performed properly. Meaning the surgeon would have to have left a large portion of the fundus behind.

Sleeves mature around 6-12 months out. I'm at max capacity even though I've figured out ways to cheat the sleeve. I've been eating the same quantities for a solid 12 months if I follow all the sleeve eating guidelines.

What are the sleeve eating guidelines?

Eat Protein first, then greens and if you have room then some starches. Do not drink with your meal, and wait 30 minutes after eating to resume drinking.

Do not stretch your meal out over 30 minutes. DO not eat until you are full/stuffed. Measure your food portions, and do not graze throughout the day.

Tiffany - I am not quite 8 months out and have just noticed I can eat a little more. The group at my surgeon's office said they didn't want me ever eating more

than 3/4 - 1 cup of food. I'm not eating that much 'solid' food. I can eat a half cup of home made Soup and a half slice of bread. Do you think what I am eating now is what I can expect to be eating a year from now? That should put me about where you are....maybe a little further out. It would be great if this is it. I hate "not knowing" - it would be nice if we knew what life was going to be like three or four years from now! The person after your post asked.....what are the sleeve eating guide lines, tell us! =)

You might get a little more laxity in your sleeve over the next couple of months, but in all honesty, I still can not eat an entire chicken breast within 30 minutes without feeling stuffed. I tried my damnedest and got in about 3/4. I'm talking Tyson boneless, skinless chicken breast halves that you get in the supermarket. Or like 1 grilled chicken breast that comes on a grilled chicken salad? ? ? I still can not eat more than 3-5 strips of a grilled chicken breast, and I'm pretty focused on eating the green leafy stuff that I stick with 3 little strips of chicken and load up on lettuce. I think my colon appreciates the greens LOL.

I can eat a lot more mushy food today than I could a year ago, but heck, those sliders taste yummy so I eat slow, and steady and I can get 1-1.25 cups of puree/soft solids. Chicken salad as long as it's kind of a stringy, and NOT chunky chicken salad, I can easily eat 1 cup. Give me chunky, hearty chili and I have to nurse that cup of chili for a good 40-45 minutes to get the entire cup in.

I joined the maintenance group of OH for vsg'ers and it appears that there are plenty of 2-4 year out people still eating the same quantities they were at 12-16 months out. It seems pretty consistent with bougie size of 32-38fr, and a lot of us say the same thing. Slider foods are easier to eat not just out of yumminess, but because they are easy to eat in more quantity which helps us get in the necessary calories/protein/carbs to maintain our weight.

Hope that helps! ! !

Yes, very helpful, thanks! I need to find the OH maintenece forum, thanks for mentioning it. I agree totally about the soft 'slider' foods. I can eat Soup, tuna or something like that, and sit and visit for a little while and eat a little more. I weigh or measure everything when we are home, and am 'snacking' on Peanut Butter string cheese, cottage cheese....stuff like that throughout the day to get my calories in. A couple of weekends ago we ate out all weekend and I gained 2.5 - three lbs....I was still below goal, but I didn't like it...I just didn't do my normal 'snacking' during the day on Monday and Tuesday and it was gone. It is shocking how quickly it can be gone again. Is it like that for you too? On the downside, if I FORGET to add in those extra calories I will quickly lose even more. You are way below goal, so I KNOW you KNOW what I'm talking about!! It can happen fast, I can see that. Thanks again...and I think the greens are good too!

You might get a little more laxity in your sleeve over the next couple of months, but in all honesty, I still can not eat an entire chicken breast within 30 minutes without feeling stuffed. I tried my damnedest and got in about 3/4. I'm talking Tyson boneless, skinless chicken breast halves that you get in the supermarket. Or like 1 grilled chicken breast that comes on a grilled chicken salad? ? ? I still can not eat more than 3-5 strips of a grilled chicken breast, and I'm pretty focused on eating the green leafy stuff that I stick with 3 little strips of chicken and load up on lettuce. I think my colon appreciates the greens LOL.

I can eat a lot more mushy food today than I could a year ago, but heck, those sliders taste yummy so I eat slow, and steady and I can get 1-1.25 cups of puree/soft solids. Chicken salad as long as it's kind of a stringy, and NOT chunky chicken salad, I can easily eat 1 cup. Give me chunky, hearty chili and I have to nurse that cup of chili for a good 40-45 minutes to get the entire cup in.

I joined the maintenance group of OH for vsg'ers and it appears that there are plenty of 2-4 year out people still eating the same quantities they were at 12-16 months out. It seems pretty consistent with bougie size of 32-38fr, and a lot of us say the same thing. Slider foods are easier to eat not just out of yumminess, but because they are easy to eat in more quantity which helps us get in the necessary calories/protein/carbs to maintain our weight.

Hope that helps! ! !