Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Booked for feb 25- I'm scared

Sign in to follow this  

I'm scared but I'm excited. First let me start by saying I have been big a long time and I'm only 33. My mom, aunt, and cousin all got the lapband last year. To start with I was so against it. My mom asked me to do the research for her as she can't use a computer and I was still against it. Fast forward a year. My mom had her surgery, lost a bunch of weight, and has now started to gain it back. She has blockages on a daily basis. This was not for me. So I decided on the sleeve. I know I can loose weight. I've done it many a time. But I can't maintain it. It all goes right back on. I have a great husband and 2 wee ones. I never had a "problem" with being overweight. I hate it, but ive gotten used to it I guess. It wasn't until my daughter was old enough to start noticing. I had to bring her into a stall to use the bathroom at the mall. She looked at me with huge eyes when I pulled down my pants and yelled at me not to sit because my big bum would break the toilet!!!!! I was so embarressed!!! I know it wasn't meant to be mean, but man did that hurt. I don't like what I see in the mirror. I look tired because I am tired. I am just so ready to have this done. I'm so tired of not being able to play with my kids, and my dog, and of course my hubby : )

my mom is going to travel with me, but she so worried about this being so "perminent". ( remember she has a lapband which is reversable) Anyone have any words of wisdom for me??

Why would you want to reverse and go back to your old ways? Plus the lap band is a foreign object that will eventually need to be replaced/removed (added cost down the road). I want to be thin for the rest of my life and the sleeve is the tool that will help me curb the over eating of food.

Everyone has to do this for their own reasons. It is scary but I think worth it in the long run. A tool for life! That is what I want.

When I first started, I was planning the lap band as my insurance did not cover the sleeve. Actually the sleeve wasn't even discussed much at the seminar as not many insurances was covering it. I had to 6 months with my pcp first so I waited to met with the surgeon until I completed my 6 months. By that time, my insurance updated and now covers the sleeve. The doctor recommended the sleeve so I had to do some research as all my paperwork was being gathered. I was sleeved Dec 1st and have no regrets whatsoever at all. After reading many post of people who had the band and had complications and have now had revisions to the sleeve makes me even more grateful that I made the right decision. I am now at my lowest weight since 1988. I was able to by a size L flannel pajamas tonight. I know that this weight will never come back on. Trust in your decision. Good Luck