Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Full Liquids post op?

I have noticed that some of you do Clear Liquids post op. My surgeon apparently only does clear liquids until you have your UGI on day 2 and then you can have full liquids for 2 weeks, then on to pureed. Had anyone else not had much of a clear liquid phase? Getting a little nervous anyway.

I had clear liquids for 24 hours then full liquids which helped a lot. Surgeons differ on nearly everything as evidenced by forum postings. If in doubt, follow orders. I paid my surgeon $5000 for his expertise, so I followed it.

I was NPO for 24 hours, then clear liquids for 24 hours, then full liquids for 2 weeks. I am 13 days post-op, so tomorrow I start pureed.< /span>

Dr, Aceves does 10 days of clear, 10 days of full, then 10 of mushies

My doctor did 24 hours of clear liquids then before I went home I was put on a full liquid diet. Started the mushie faze "with no chunks" at the same time.. At my 1 weeks check up he told me I could start chopped meats at my 2 week mark.. I was shocked because of all the long liquid/mushie faze post I had read on here, but every doctor is different and I wasn't about to not follow my doctors orders. I went back for my 3 week post op visit and was cleared to start back on salads at my 1 month mark "January 21st" I have progressed pretty well. I take my time eating "usually takes me 30-45 minutes to finish 2-3 oz of food".. I am getting in plenty of liquids and I have lost 26 lbs in 3 weeks.. It couldn't get any better then that.. Always follow your doctors order no matter how crazy they may seem. They are the experts on this stuff not us.. We learn as we go they are there to help us through.. Best of Luck to You!!

My doctor kept me on clear liquids while in the hospital. I stayed 2 nights and on the 2nd day, after the leak test, was allowed some juice. Once home it's 3 weeks full liquids and then 2 weeks of mushies. That being said, the liquids--clear or full---were very limited the first several days home! I'm 16 days out and have lost a total of 21 pounds! Shocking to me!

My doctor had me on 10 days clear following surgery. He said your mostly likely to have a leak in the first 72 hours. After 10 days, that reduces to less than 1 percent. After 2 weeks ...0 percent.

I appreciate that my doctor is very cautious with his approach. He has a very high success rate with this patients. I am now on day 11 and feel great. He has added Protein shakes, eggs, and yogurt until day 14. After day 14, I can start puree for a week, then mushies, then intro one food at a time. I would rather sacrifice now then have a problem....

My doctor wants me on a clear liquid diet for three weeks post-op! I don't know if I will be able to stand it.

You will. It may seem bad not but you will have no desire to eat anything. Get a good chicken broth and some tea and you are going to be great.

The day of surgery I was NPO. Clear liquids and Protein shakes the day after surgery for 2 weeks. At my 2 week check-up I should go on mushies. I don't feel hungry, so it's no big deal. I was sleeved 2 days ago and still trying to get in all the liquids and Protein he wants. :blink: