Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon's Visit Tomorrow-Need Reassurance

I am not a big eater. I do not eat many sweets (ie Cookies, cake, junk food). I just need reassurance that I can still be a loser with a sleeve. I don't even eat half the volume my hubby eats. He weighs about 50 or 60 lbs more than me.

Does losing weight make you more active and help with the loss? I was told my new tummy will only hold about 4 ounces. It seems like I would have to eat day and night to NOT lose weight with that small of a tummy.

I will be the first to post to this..I have been told time and time again that this is nothing more than a weight loss tool. Myself I am a big eater I have choosen this surgery to help me restrict what I eat so I can control the quality of food I intake.. This surgery is not a given to lose weight if you don't eat the right things. Proteins first and complex carbohydrates second. The biggest thing about this surgery that it controls hunger in two ways It almost elimates the hunger hormone and it restricts how much you eat. Saying that if you don't control what you eat and you chose to eat all carbs and slider foods you probably wont be as successful in your weigh loss Quest. Good luck

The sleeve is definitely the tool for me, as I was a volume eater. Still, I would track what you eat for a couple of weeks, logging everything on one of the free sites, and see what you are really eating. Also look at a cup of food - measure, and see how little that really is. That is all I can eat at most in one meal, usually less than that. Is your volume that low? How does it feel between meals? Do you graze a little here and there all day long? Grazing all day keeps the sleeve from working. I believe the sleeve was right for me, but it is not right for everyone. Do your research and be sure.

I am not a big eater. I do not eat many sweets (ie Cookies, cake, junk food). I just need reassurance that I can still be a loser with a sleeve. I don't even eat half the volume my hubby eats. He weighs about 50 or 60 lbs more than me.

Does losing weight make you more active and help with the loss? I was told my new tummy will only hold about 4 ounces. It seems like I would have to eat day and night to NOT lose weight with that small of a tummy.

Hi there Kabinkitty,I'm not a big eater either,Problet if you take what I eat all day and put it on a plate it may make some one 1 good meal,I think thats where my weight comes from,I chose this surgery 1st because where I am such a small eater it will help me to want to maybe eat a lil more,I want to use this as a tool to help me control not to cut down what I eat but to help me to eat right,I eat 2 pc of rasin toast for Breakfast, I take my vitmans,calcium,and my regular meds after I eat breakfast,and the Water that I drink fills me up so I really dont get hungry till dinner and try not to eat after 5 oclock because my system slowes down and I am afraid that I will keep gaining weight,....trust me it is scarry that you dont eat to keep from gaining weight and your matabilisim comes to a complete stop and you cant loost what your body has stored up.....best of luck and keep us posted as to what you deside.....sleevless4now

I'm wondering this too....Hopefully, more will comment here, what type of eater they were, and how they have changed since being sleeved.

I'm thinking this surgery works best for volume eaters.

I'm not a huge eater at one meal either, I can only eat a 6 inch sub for instance, when skinny friends of mine can eat a foot long. But I'm still hoping it can be a good tool for me.

But I do eat sweets & junk food frequently. I also eat often, about every 3 hours, I get ravenous.

And my hubby weighs less than me, but can eat WAY more than me, so I hear what you are saying...

My question, in your description, would be.... what is it that you have been doing, because we all gained weight somehow....definitely a good idea to track, and find out for ourselves where our trouble lies.

I'm not being snarky... but how is it possible that you aren't a bit eater and you don't eat sweets but you are overweight and looking into WLS? How did you get overweight?

I don't think you are snarky. I do not eat bread, Pasta, crackers, Cookies, cake etc....almost anything that contains flour. I don't tolerate gluten well. I basically eat meat and veggies and occasionally fruit. I do eat candy occasionally. I do not eat alot of slider foods, I guess potato chips would be my one downfall. Those won't be in the house after I have surgery!

I wish I knew why I have gained to this weight...wouldn't we all! hahaha When I was a child I was chubby and by the time I graduated HS I weighed 205. I lost alot of weight with a Weight Watcher's type plan at age 19 and stayed in the 103-135 range for years. I had gained up to 230 and now weigh about 215 after cutting out the gluten foods. I have sleep apnea, and take 3 blood pressure meds.

After my youngest son was born I gradually started to gain. When I started driving a school bus it increased. I'm sitting ALOT and I think that's part of the problem. I watch almost every new driver start puttin on the pounds after driving a while. It's a stressful tiring job, so in the evenings I'm too tired to exercise...thus the weight gain...which causes me to be more tired....etc, etc, etc. Three drivers had the DS surgery and about 5 have had RNY.

I'm 58 years old and that is part of it too, I'm sure. My surgeon told me that he thinks the sleeve will work great for me and had (unknown to me) set my goal at 140....after my last appointment he changed it to 130. When I told him I was worried about not being a volume eater, he kind of snickered and smiled and looked at my husband and said, "she IS a worrier"! He said he was sure I would do fine as the volume I could consume after surgery would be very small. He did say that the surgery can be ruined by stretching the sleeve and with no malabsorbtion to fall back on, those who stretch the sleeve will probably not be successful.