Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I made it through surgery

Hi everyone, I made it through my surgery on Friday, I'm at my hotel and feeling ok. I was so scared before the surgery I actually started to cry,what a wimp. Anyway, I'm having some gas pain (at least I hope that's what it is) which is in my abdomen, I feel really bloated and sore, but I had no nausea at all, thank the lord!

I feel like this is all some weird dream, it doesn't seem real. I was told Dr. Joffe was doing my surgery, but Dr. Yau met with me for like 30 seconds before the surgery and I never saw him again. I guess he did the surgery, I never saw Dr. Joffe. I felt like they were rushing me out the doors, but I felt ok to leave. I never met Nisrine, only Kathy. I met with the anesthetist very briefly before surgery as well, I have a HUGE bruise on my arm from my IV. I didn't get a very warm feeling from Dr. Yau or the anesthetist, they both seemed to be in a rush and just wanted to get me done and out the doors. I've had 4 surgeries in the past and never felt like it was being hurried like that. Anyway, I'm flying home on Monday and can't wait to get home. I'm taking Demerol every 4 hours or so, it takes the edge off.

Anyway, thanks again for all the well wishes from you guys, I'm glad it's over!

Buffie

Congrats Buffie. I was just done on wednesday, and I relate to the feeling that it doesn't seem real... I still think 'wow, I can't believe I did this?!' I didn't cry going in, but I woke up in recovery crying. I had a lot of post op pain, but it's been a bit better every day. I'm not even taking anything for pain anymore. Still bloated and pretty gassy though. I'm looking forward to being fully healed and exploring my new post banding life. I'm sorry your surgical experience didn't seem as positive as it could have been. Hopefully everything will be increasingly positive from now on out. Keep us posted! It's nice to hear from other Canadians who've been banded right around the same time as me, and compare notes. This forum has been great.

XO

Leila

Hi Buffie....glad it went okay. Sorry that you felt rushed....but they may have come across like that without meaning to.

Just so you know, BOTH Drs. Yau and Joffe would have performed the surgery on you. It is a two-person team that does it. So, they both would have been there...but you only would have met with one. It varies who you meet with right prior to the surgery...there is only a need to meet with one and sign the consent form etc.....(ie. I met with Dr. J); it prob depends on their schedules etc. But, rest assured, that both Dr. performed your surgery as a team.

Be good to yourself this week and take care. Popsicles, Popsciles, Popsicles (sugar free, of course!).

:notagree :notagree

I hope you have a safe trip home and a speedy recovery. Congratulations!

Thanks everyone, you guys are great.

I'm feeling really sore today, I took a shower which felt great but wore me out. How long after surgery did any of you go back to work?

I didn't know both docs performed the surgery, thanks for letting me know Yoda.

I fly home tomorrow and can't WAIT to get out of this hotel room.

Thanks everyone,

Buffie

Way to go Buffie!! Surgery is behind you now, no where to go but up(or down-in weight that is). Every day will be better, in 1 week you'll feel great, 2 weeks you'll be awesome, in 3 weeks like someone else(pinch yourself, it's you with a bright future).:high5: :rant: :high5:

Good going Buffie! I have a huge bruise from my IV too. It is true that you feel rushed.....I'm not sure what I really think about that because I didn't really have any reason to spend any time with the Drs, I had no more questions for them and just wanted to get on with it...so, for me it worked. I was feeling great by the 5/6th day.....was doing most everything and not suffering too much at all. 7th day took all my steritapes off and inspected my incisions.....I'm 10 days post op now and still sore and tender around the largest incision where I understand the port is....usually hurst when I sleep the wrong way or poke it too much trying to find the port.

Glad that it is all working out well for you.

Carol

Its so great to hear these stories! Congrats Buffy! Ive got 5 days until mine and at this point I just want to get that part over and done with.

I am supposed to work 6 days after mine, Do you all think I can do it? I work with the public at a computer, but I will have tons of makeup work to do. Hope i can do it....if not, the work will still be there for me whan I do feel up to it.

Thanks~~

Hey Buffie...you'll feel loads better when you are back home...in your own house in your own bed etc!

Stephanie, you should be okay after 6 days....a bit tired....but okay...just don't overdo it if you don't have to; you'll still be healing!

Hi Stephanie...yes, if no complications set in you will be able to work...no heavy lifting or high stretching, but if I judge it by my own experience you'll be just fine.

Carol