Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to do it or not to do it, is the question

So I have been researching the sleeve for months now and I know this is the right choice. But I'm having a hard time with going through with it.. I'm so scared of complications. I'm going in with none even though I am 30yrs old 5'7 and 290lbs. I know everyone has these fears but how do u push through them. I'm scared of malnutrition I hear all these people having to go for iv's or being put on medications.. the whole point I thought of doing this is to not have to be on any.. is it right to think maybe after surgery u really won't want to drink or eat but u have to force urself literally even though it hurts. Please help me with this

Yes... right after surgery you may not feel like eating or drinking anything, and you may have to make yourself do it--this goes away as the swelling goes down. You don't have to worry about malnutrition with the sleeve, especially if you take your Vitamins and minerals afterward (we absorb all our nutrients, but generally don't eat enough to get everything we need---then again, the general public doesn't get it from what they eat either).

The complication risk is so low compared to what you will have to deal with in the future, that being any of the following: High Blood Pressure, Heart Disease, Hardening of the Arteries, sleep Apnea, Osteoarthritis, Diabetes, premature death, I'm sure I'm missing some big ones here. It is a big choice to make, but you're virtually guaranteed big problems down the road if you don't get the weight off one way or another. For those of us who have chosen to go ahead and have the surgery, most of us have tried time and time again over years and haven't been able to lose it or keep it off permanently.

Even including people who had complications like a leak or stricture, I have never once seen a single person who wasn't happy with their surgery in the end. But you have to be really ready for it, at that point where you KNOW it's what you need to do and you WANT to do it, and have yourself prepared for how the first few days and weeks are going to be... just make sure that you're really comfortable with the decision before going for it, and you won't regret it. :)

So I have been researching the sleeve for months now and I know this is the right choice. But I'm having a hard time with going through with it.. I'm so scared of complications. I'm going in with none even though I am 30yrs old 5'7 and 290lbs. I know everyone has these fears but how do u push through them. I'm scared of malnutrition I hear all these people having to go for iv's or being put on medications.. the whole point I thought of doing this is to not have to be on any.. is it right to think maybe after surgery u really won't want to drink or eat but u have to force urself literally even though it hurts. Please help me with this

Im sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time making the decision to go through with the procedure. I think being nervous is very normal and you just have to remind yourself that most of the people who have issues are the ones who stray from the guidelines and dont take care of themselves. I went through a major surgery and am determined to not mess it up by making careless choices that may lead me to malnutrition or dehydration.

I personally had a very smooth recovery.

I started a YouTube Channel to document my journey and just finished another video talking about my experience thus far.

Check it out and maybe it will put your mind at easy knowing that not everyone has difficulty healing.

Hope This Helps

Thanku both for ur replies this has totally helped calm me down and made me realize that it doesn't have to go down that way.... I'm so happy to have found this site... I appreciate all the support

How everybody reacts to surgery is different. If you read many post here, if there has been complications it has been temporary and once they get past it, they have no regrets. I was one of the lucky ones. I had no issues whatsever. My IV was only during the hospital. I did not have a sore throat but had to learn how to sip instead of huge swallows. I do take Vitamins and hoping that my remaining medications will stop with 3-6 months. I did have diabetes, fatty liver disease and they did a hiatal hernia repair during surgery. I feel so much better and I am pleased on how I am already looking. I can walk in front of a mirror or see my reflection in a window and think WOW. I am looking okay. I use to hate to see my reflection. Do your research and be prepared, if you know worse case scenerios and what needs to be done, it will help you overcome any fear. And if something happens most likely someone else "has been there done that" so I am sure there will be plenty of advise to help you through it. I am 47 and I wish I could had done this years ago. But then I didn't have insurance to cover it then but better late then never.

This is one of many issues you will have to hurdle. Just take time to process each one and be patient until you can come to an acceptance of each one. Reading all the experience on this forum truly helps.

I agree with Eloray. I was super jittery before surgery, but I found so many answers to my fears on this board. I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other, but if you feel like you want to go through with this, but are scared, a good way to get through it is to keep reading this forum. And ask the questions that make you most scared. You'll find some great and reassuring answers. I was on here every night the month before my surgery, and it helped a ton! :)

Thanks again to everyone who posted a reply it really eases my mind. I visit this site multiple times day and night and that's exactly what I will keep doing... thanks a ton!!! :-)