Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Truly Amazing "WOW" Moment!

This past weekend, I was going through some old papers and I came across my childhood medical records. They were on old-fashioned, hand-written index cards on which my pediatrician made notes everytime I visited the office, beginning with my birth in 1966. Of course, my weight was noted for each visit. I came across a notation for one of my last visits to his office - in 1980 - just after I had graduated from 8th grade. I was 14 years old and my weight on that visit was a substantial 185 lbs. I had already been fighting obesity (and losing) for about six years at this point.

Imagine my shock when I realized that I now weigh 186 lbs -- just one pound more than I did 31 years ago! It just confirms what I've been thinking lately -- I can't remember ever weighing as little as I do now as an adult. What a miracle! I don't think in my wildest dreams I ever thought I would be here so quickly. It hasn't been a complete walk in the park and there are still days when I miss eating and drinking the way I used to, but, overall, this surgery is the best thing I could have done for myself and my three children. I still have some episodes of trial and error as far as being able to handle certain foods, but I consider it to be a work in progress and I have come a very long way in a very short time.

Thanks to all who post here who have given me so much strength and encouragement.

To those out there who are considering VSG - don't be afraid - it really works!

All the best,

Brian

That truely is a WOW moment. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

WOW Brian, what an awesome moment. I will be sleeved on Monday so thank you for the encouragement.

I bet that was quite a jolt and such a victory as well!

Congratulations on your success, and thanks for sharing with us.

Wow congrats

Amazing Brian, your post made me tear up.

@DJackson, I also teared up.

I still don't get the people who poo poo weight loss surgery. I read these forums and see miracles happening every day.

Brian, what an incredible moment that must have been for you!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I do love reading NSV's like this. There is always SO MUCH to celebrate!!!!

I love reading these kind of posts! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Thanks, Brian! It's so encouraging to hear success stories. I remember a doctor telling me in the 8th grade that 141 was too much. I realize, too, that I've battled weight forEVER. I will gladly trade changing habits and surgery for the old heavy days! My sleeve surgery will be this spring.

This past weekend, I was going through some old papers and I came across my childhood medical records. They were on old-fashioned, hand-written index cards on which my pediatrician made notes everytime I visited the office, beginning with my birth in 1966. Of course, my weight was noted for each visit. I came across a notation for one of my last visits to his office - in 1980 - just after I had graduated from 8th grade. I was 14 years old and my weight on that visit was a substantial 185 lbs. I had already been fighting obesity (and losing) for about six years at this point.

Imagine my shock when I realized that I now weigh 186 lbs -- just one pound more than I did 31 years ago! It just confirms what I've been thinking lately -- I can't remember ever weighing as little as I do now as an adult. What a miracle! I don't think in my wildest dreams I ever thought I would be here so quickly. It hasn't been a complete walk in the park and there are still days when I miss eating and drinking the way I used to, but, overall, this surgery is the best thing I could have done for myself and my three children. I still have some episodes of trial and error as far as being able to handle certain foods, but I consider it to be a work in progress and I have come a very long way in a very short time.

Thanks to all who post here who have given me so much strength and encouragement.

To those out there who are considering VSG - don't be afraid - it really works!

All the best,

Brian