Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will be sleeved in one week from today

My Name is Tara and I will be getting my sleeve on Janaury 18, 2011. My surgeon is Dr. Singh and the surgery will be done @ St. Agnes Hospital..I have been wanting the WLS for years. I tried 5 years ago went thru everything and than was turned down becasue it was a clause in my insurance stating that members who worked for a small company 50 or less was not covered. Needless to say I was devistated... I contineud on with weight loss and was successful but as usual gained it back. I would lose 90 gain 100. loose 100 gain 120 a never ending vicious cycle... I thought qbout this surgery again in June after reaching my highest weight of 305.. I am literally miserable and unhappy with this weight not to mention knees and back stay in pain and Im always tired.... I started out getting the band...but as I was researching I saw alot of people said they had a revision and got the sleeve so I researched the sleeve and decided this is the surgery for me.... It was a stipulation on my ins. again stating I needed a 50 BMI or higher for it to cover.... I prayed and prayed and I was approved by BCBS for the sleeve with a 47 BMI and all I have to pay is my $30 copay...Yeayyy... I received the auth on 1/4/11 and now my surgery date is approaching fast.... Now that everything has been approved I have ran into people that say the Rouex en y is better. I dont know if I should change or not and I have to thursday to change... Im excited and nervous I want the surgery thats going to have the most lasting affects... Another thing Im worried about is the loose skin and having to get other plastic surgeries... None the less Im going with the surgery regardless because Im ready to change my life and everyone who post I have read on here say there are no regrets and matter of fact thats for whichever surgery..... is there any advice any one would like to give me I would really appreciatie it.... Also this liquid diet is killing me my dietician said I can have lean meat and non starchy vegetables twice a day along with 2 Protein Shakes if thats easier. I have lost 6.5 pounds since thursday so I hope thats a sign that my liver and stomach is shrinking... i dont want any complications....I look forward to making many new connections and friends on this sight....

Hi Tara! Congrats on the approval. This video scared me off having my bowels operated on

At least you can say you're making an informed choice after seeing a clip like that. Good luck with whatever you do! smile.gif

hi tara, i too will will be sleeved next week (wed jan 19) like you i've always been overweight, lost/gained/gained more, and i too first considered WLS years ago and considered lap-band as well until recently. i beleive it'll be better for me (more permanent and restrictive than with the band without the continuous adjustments BUT permanent enough without having my intestins re-routed - that was pretty scary to me). anyway, i'm happy for u and the only advice i could give you is once you're comfortable with your decision (as to which surgery) then pray over it and be confident in that decision. i've known ppl who have done lap band and bybass so i'll be the 1st sleeve...but hey diversity, that's what makes the world go round right :) now as far as the pre-op diet...IT IS KILLING ME TOO, but if i can admit...iv'e cheated...my doctor's office dietician puts EVERYONE on an ALL liquid diet for 2 weeks...no lean meats, no nothing but the shakes yogurt Jello and broth...though i've cheated, tomorrow markes my 1 week until surgery so i plan on being 90% good...GOOD LUCK to you and i wish you ALL THE BEST!

~nicole

I'm getting it done on the 18th as well. My insurance has a high deductible, $2500 and the hospital is $500 a day, so hope there are no complications that keep me in longer than that. Good luck to us both!

Hi Tara,, Wow, I think you are totally ready for this. I got sleeved on Dec 29 and it has been the easiest surgery and recovery I've ever had from any medical procedure. I just started eating solid food again and it's great. So far, no problems so I hope it goes the same for you. I'm not sure if the Rou En Y is better or not but I suspect that the sleeve will be just fine for what you want. It really restricts food without rewiring your whole anatomy. I think it just depends on the person but I'm very happy with the sleeve. Although I'm only 2 weeks post op, I've lost 12 pounds. Good luck with everything. Your journey is finally coming to an end and the WLS will soon be in your rearview mirror and you will be losing weight without so much struggle. Best, Smillzee

My Name is Tara and I will be getting my sleeve on Janaury 18, 2011. My surgeon is Dr. Singh and the surgery will be done @ St. Agnes Hospital..I have been wanting the WLS for years. I tried 5 years ago went thru everything and than was turned down becasue it was a clause in my insurance stating that members who worked for a small company 50 or less was not covered. Needless to say I was devistated... I contineud on with weight loss and was successful but as usual gained it back. I would lose 90 gain 100. loose 100 gain 120 a never ending vicious cycle... I thought qbout this surgery again in June after reaching my highest weight of 305.. I am literally miserable and unhappy with this weight not to mention knees and back stay in pain and Im always tired.... I started out getting the band...but as I was researching I saw alot of people said they had a revision and got the sleeve so I researched the sleeve and decided this is the surgery for me.... It was a stipulation on my ins. again stating I needed a 50 BMI or higher for it to cover.... I prayed and prayed and I was approved by BCBS for the sleeve with a 47 BMI and all I have to pay is my $30 copay...Yeayyy... I received the auth on 1/4/11 and now my surgery date is approaching fast.... Now that everything has been approved I have ran into people that say the Rouex en y is better. I dont know if I should change or not and I have to thursday to change... Im excited and nervous I want the surgery thats going to have the most lasting affects... Another thing Im worried about is the loose skin and having to get other plastic surgeries... None the less Im going with the surgery regardless because Im ready to change my life and everyone who post I have read on here say there are no regrets and matter of fact thats for whichever surgery..... is there any advice any one would like to give me I would really appreciatie it.... Also this liquid diet is killing me my dietician said I can have lean meat and non starchy vegetables twice a day along with 2 Protein shakes if thats easier. I have lost 6.5 pounds since thursday so I hope thats a sign that my liver and stomach is shrinking... i dont want any complications....I look forward to making many new connections and friends on this sight....

Hi Tara,

Congrats on receiving your date and for persevering through the denials to reach this point. My dietician just mentioned the program at St. Agnes to me at my appointment on Monday. I had not heard of the bariatric program or St. Agnes until that point. I was set to have Dr. Cantor at Holy Cross perform my surgery. I would love check in with you to see how you are doing, how the program at St. Agnes and Dr. Singh is working out for you.

You will get through this liquid stage diet and on to a new improved you.

I'm considering the sleeve as well, as I am a big sweet eater and I don't think the lap band will work for me because of that and also living forever with the port and band was a turn off. With Roux n y, the process of re-routing my small instestine freaks me out worse that the lap band. So a VSG seems like the best alternative in my book.

My Name is Tara and I will be getting my sleeve on Janaury 18, 2011. My surgeon is Dr. Singh and the surgery will be done @ St. Agnes Hospital..I have been wanting the WLS for years. I tried 5 years ago went thru everything and than was turned down becasue it was a clause in my insurance stating that members who worked for a small company 50 or less was not covered. Needless to say I was devistated... I contineud on with weight loss and was successful but as usual gained it back. I would lose 90 gain 100. loose 100 gain 120 a never ending vicious cycle... I thought qbout this surgery again in June after reaching my highest weight of 305.. I am literally miserable and unhappy with this weight not to mention knees and back stay in pain and Im always tired.... I started out getting the band...but as I was researching I saw alot of people said they had a revision and got the sleeve so I researched the sleeve and decided this is the surgery for me.... It was a stipulation on my ins. again stating I needed a 50 BMI or higher for it to cover.... I prayed and prayed and I was approved by BCBS for the sleeve with a 47 BMI and all I have to pay is my $30 copay...Yeayyy... I received the auth on 1/4/11 and now my surgery date is approaching fast.... Now that everything has been approved I have ran into people that say the Rouex en y is better. I dont know if I should change or not and I have to thursday to change... Im excited and nervous I want the surgery thats going to have the most lasting affects... Another thing Im worried about is the loose skin and having to get other plastic surgeries... None the less Im going with the surgery regardless because Im ready to change my life and everyone who post I have read on here say there are no regrets and matter of fact thats for whichever surgery..... is there any advice any one would like to give me I would really appreciatie it.... Also this liquid diet is killing me my dietician said I can have lean meat and non starchy vegetables twice a day along with 2 Protein shakes if thats easier. I have lost 6.5 pounds since thursday so I hope thats a sign that my liver and stomach is shrinking... i dont want any complications....I look forward to making many new connections and friends on this sight....

woohoo! Good for you! after all these years your finally getting your sleeve! i'm so happy for you, every one deserves a chance and now its your turn! You go Girl!!!!

I'm getting it done on the 18th as well. My insurance has a high deductible, $2500 and the hospital is $500 a day, so hope there are no complications that keep me in longer than that. Good luck to us both!

Hello just found out I had to pay $250 for my hospital stay... Our day is approaching quickly Im getting more and more excited...Im having a problem with deciding on a Protein shake... My dieticain recommend i get unflavored because my tate buds will be hyper sensitive... I dont have much money after paying the $250 today which mean I cant buy different things to add to it so Im confused...What are you planning on doing as far as Protein for post op..... Good luck to our new lives :-)

woohoo! Good for you! after all these years your finally getting your sleeve! i'm so happy for you, every one deserves a chance and now its your turn! You go Girl!!!!

Thank you LOL....Yes Finally!!!!!!

Hi Tara,

Congrats on receiving your date and for persevering through the denials to reach this point. My dietician just mentioned the program at St. Agnes to me at my appointment on Monday. I had not heard of the bariatric program or St. Agnes until that point. I was set to have Dr. Cantor at Holy Cross perform my surgery. I would love check in with you to see how you are doing, how the program at St. Agnes and Dr. Singh is working out for you.

You will get through this liquid stage diet and on to a new improved you.

I'm considering the sleeve as well, as I am a big sweet eater and I don't think the lap band will work for me because of that and also living forever with the port and band was a turn off. With Roux n y, the process of re-routing my small instestine freaks me out worse that the lap band. So a VSG seems like the best alternative in my book.

Thank you.... I will definitely keep you posted with my progress... Praying it all is successful...

hi tara, i too will will be sleeved next week (wed jan 19) like you i've always been overweight, lost/gained/gained more, and i too first considered WLS years ago and considered lap-band as well until recently. i beleive it'll be better for me (more permanent and restrictive than with the band without the continuous adjustments BUT permanent enough without having my intestins re-routed - that was pretty scary to me). anyway, i'm happy for u and the only advice i could give you is once you're comfortable with your decision (as to which surgery) then pray over it and be confident in that decision. i've known ppl who have done lap band and bybass so i'll be the 1st sleeve...but hey diversity, that's what makes the world go round right :) now as far as the pre-op diet...IT IS KILLING ME TOO, but if i can admit...iv'e cheated...my doctor's office dietician puts EVERYONE on an ALL liquid diet for 2 weeks...no lean meats, no nothing but the shakes yogurt Jello and broth...though i've cheated, tomorrow markes my 1 week until surgery so i plan on being 90% good...GOOD LUCK to you and i wish you ALL THE BEST!

~nicole

Thank you Nicole I wish ALL THE BEST too..... Also thanks for being my partner in being disobedient to the liquid diet :-) I have been doing lean meats and vegetables twice a day and have lost 10 pounds so hopefully everything will be in place to make everything successful.... I will keep you posted with my progress and I hope you do the same thing... Cheers to our new body and lives :-) Take care....

Oh yeah Im in a dilema as far as what shake to get for my 2 week pre op... Did your dietician recommend unflavored or what ever your drinking now to keep drinking?

Hello just found out I had to pay $250 for my hospital stay... Our day is approaching quickly Im getting more and more excited...Im having a problem with deciding on a Protein shake... My dieticain recommend i get unflavored because my tate buds will be hyper sensitive... I dont have much money after paying the $250 today which mean I cant buy different things to add to it so Im confused...What are you planning on doing as far as Protein for post op..... Good luck to our new lives :-)

Sexy Tee,

What my surgeon recommends and is the cheapest (and i think the best tasting too) is sugar free carnation instant Breakfast, and add 1/3 cup dry powdered milk and mix with 8 oz skim milk. I think it then has 18 or so grams of protein. It is the cheapest option and does not have that medicine taste that some Protein drinks have. I have only been on pre-op do far. My surgery is the day before yours 01/17. Good luck. Will talk to you next week.

For a few months before I bought a bunch of samples- the Chike banana was really good, and I bought nectar on line and a few other samples at Vitamin shop and local health food stores. I hope some of them taste OK after get sleeved!