Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I should've never left the VSG forum....DS people scare me :(

I went for my pre-op surgeons visit today. My surgeon, who is the head of the bariatric dept. of a teaching and research university, has been doing it for many years...told me today that his thought so far is that the sleeved person is the most likely to have weight re-gain in their future (I believe he meant compared to RNY). He also said that he believed that from his perspective, you could be a person that did not gain your weight back with the sleeve, but it would take more work from your side (not the sleeves side) to do so. That RNY weight loss is easier to keep off in the long run. He also said that he knows that there is not enough time elapsed to see how it will go for the sleeve yet, but that is his guess. He also said that the size of your bougie does not make a big difference, eating habits are the biggest part of being successful, and the WHOLE stomach is pretty stretchy. He said it is important to change habits, or when the restriction reduces, the old habits will still be there and up goes the weight. He said not all people will re-gain, but the ones that are always looking for excuses as to why the sleeve is not working properly, is the wrong size, are looking in the wrong place for success. He also said that RNY patients have similar problems, blaming the size of their stomas, and such instead of looking at their eating and exercise habits. To his credit, he will not put the band on anyone anymore. Just too many problems in their future. I told him about this site, hope he checks it out! He does 5 year or longer followup on his patients. I just signed up for a research project tracking my sleeve into the future.

Well, I do not frequenty OH except for the VSG forum, but after seeing this I did go over there to 'snoop' a bit. And of course in every forum there are going to be people who are rude, arrogant, but also the ones who are nice, helpful, etc.

I did see a thread from someone saying "thanks for your help (or input, whatnot)" and the gal went on to say that she had done all her research and settled on the sleeve. And there must have been 6 responses from DS'ers saying "oh, good luck, hope it goes well, etc." and I didn't see anyone being nasty. So I guess the world takes all types to go round and I'm not doubting that there are people over there who will preach from the highest rock that their surgery is best and being nasty and cutthroat (cutting our vocal cords, really??) But I just wanted to say that I did see some of them being nice to someone who didn't choose the DS.

I sometimes post over at OH, but I feel like VST is home. :grouphug:

Apparently is was a VSG'er that made the comment about the DS'ers. Now I feel bad for starting this thread.....while I do agree that the DS forum tends to be a little....hostile I guess, I don't think it was right of a VSG patient to all out say that they think that the vocal chords of everyone having another surgery should have been cut. I think we all have a tendency to forget that the WLS community is a small one, and anything we say within the VSG community can easily be read by anybody else. Meh....guess I just added fuel to the fire on that one...my bad.

On a completely unrelated topic, it got up to 14 degrees here today! Woo hoo...we're getting tropical up in this beyotch!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't have much to add to this thread except when I was researching which WLS to have, I attended a seminar at a nearby Bariatric Center of Excellence held by a very experienced bariatric surgeon. He went through all the major WLS in detail, showing diagrams of the procedures, pros and cons, etc. He was careful not to tell people which surgery to have, but made sure to mention that people with DS and RNY have malabsorption issues and have to spend "hundreds of dollars every month on supplements to get adequate nutrition," and he spent time discussing what he called "social issues" (dumping, poopy smell emanating from bowels thru skin, poop issues in general, etc. Man, you could see people shaking their heads "no way" when they heard about poop issues!). Of the four WLS he covered (band, sleeve, DS, RNY) he said DS would be the LEAST of the four to consider for most people and he said he would only recommend RNY over the sleeve for people that had severe acid reflux problems. He was very pro-band and pro-sleeve, even though he probably gets paid more for RNY and DS procedures.

I was told by the Kaiser physician who saw me before starting my weight loss classes that I was going to "have" to have a RNY. I explained to him that I had major concerns regarding having to take Vitamins for the rest of my life, dumping, etc. etc. etc. He told me that I was going to have to come up with a "really good argument" for having the sleeve when I spoke to the surgeon. After that meeting I was scared that the RNY was going to be my only option since apparently I didn't have a "good enough" reason for wanting the sleeve. Then met with the surgeon who agreed with me and told me that in his professional opinion the sleeve was the best surgery for me. He explained why and everything. I wanted to cry I was so excited. I am so happy with my decision and absolutely cannot wait for my surgery!

This is an interesting thread... I've been frequenting many board sites lately...It seems in any "support" group, there is always a couple of rude, arrogant, posters...

But I started out thinking I was getting a RNY. Now I really want a sleeve.

Kris....

What if someone has severe acid reflux, but also IBD and intestinal problems??? I heard RNY was recommended over sleeve for gastric issues. But also heard re-routing of intestines, not good for Crohn's & IBD sufferers.

I really don't know what WLS surgery, I'll be able to get...

I do have two separate surgeon consults coming up at the end of this month.. One is very pro-sleeve. The other very pro-RNY. I figure I will listen to what both have to say...Hopefully, I can still get the sleeve!

This is an interesting thread... I've been frequenting many board sites lately...It seems in any "support" group, there is always a couple of rude, arrogant, posters...

But I started out thinking I was getting a RNY. Now I really want a sleeve.

Kris....

What if someone has severe acid reflux, but also IBD and intestinal problems??? I heard RNY was recommended over sleeve for gastric issues. But also heard re-routing of intestines, not good for Crohn's & IBD sufferers.

I really don't know what WLS surgery, I'll be able to get...

I do have two separate surgeon consults coming up at the end of this month.. One is very pro-sleeve. The other very pro-RNY. I figure I will listen to what both have to say...Hopefully, I can still get the sleeve!

I believe that VSG is the only surgery recommended for people with Crohn's....

What's DS? lol

Originally the sleeve was the first stage of the Duodenal Switch.

My surgeon was also worried about longterm weight regain with the sleeve, given the lack of longterm data, and tried to steer me to the RNY. To his credit though, he did accept my reasons for wanting the sleeve and ended up agreeing with my choice. Pretty much as soon as I found out about the sleeve, I was sure it was the right one for me. The more I read about lapband, the more pleased I am that I didn't go that route. Chopping off most of my stomach is the most drastic thing I have ever done and sometimes I can't believe I actually went through with it ... but I am so thankful I did.

I'm just wondering, where are these regain stats people keep talking about?

As far as I ever knew, per Dr. Cirangle in his orientation - he said the sleeve has one of the best regain stats (data from his own patients). He said that of 100% of sleeve pts, about 10% of them regain and only about 10% of the excess weight... So... If he had 100 pts, 10 of them would have a regain - and if each of them lost 100 lbs they would regain 10 Lbs. Huh? Those are really good regain stats if you asked me. That stuck out to me especially because of my lap band issues. I'll never forget that. So I guess I'm confused.

My surgeon was also worried about longterm weight regain with the sleeve, given the lack of longterm data, and tried to steer me to the RNY. To his credit though, he did accept my reasons for wanting the sleeve and ended up agreeing with my choice. Pretty much as soon as I found out about the sleeve, I was sure it was the right one for me. The more I read about lapband, the more pleased I am that I didn't go that route. Chopping off most of my stomach is the most drastic thing I have ever done and sometimes I can't believe I actually went through with it ... but I am so thankful I did.

Look at you EmilyGrace! Down 76 pounds!

As far as I ever knew, per Dr. Cirangle in his orientation - he said the sleeve has one of the best regain stats (data from his own patients). He said that of 100% of sleeve pts, about 10% of them regain and only about 10% of the excess weight... So... If he had 100 pts, 10 of them would have a regain - and if each of them lost 100 lbs they would regain 10 Lbs. Huh? Those are really good regain stats if you asked me. That stuck out to me especially because of my lap band issues. I'll never forget that. So I guess I'm confused.

Yeah, I know... My Doc said it was his best "guess", without having stats in yet... I'm still banking on us.

Yeah, I know... My Doc said it was his best "guess", without having stats in yet... I'm still banking on us.

I was beginning to suspect these were just "best guesses" by certain doctors. I'm going to go with the positive results of one of the best surgeons who has been doing the sleeve for the longest. Per his claim, he is very pleased with his patients post op progress and ability to keep the weight off.

I look around for things here too, and I've yet to see anyone post in the complications area mentioning significant weight gains. I think we all made the right choice.

What really bothers me about "regain stats" on any of the surgeries with the exception of the band, is that it truly falls back on US. Not the surgery, not the lack of restriction. It still boils down to food choices. With the band, I had regain because I could NOT eat decent food to save my life. I had to eat sliders to get food in so I turned to slider type foods just to get basic nutrition in in some form. I ate chicken/tuna salad back then like it was going out of style, but I still struggled with the meat. The reason I would take the band out of the equation is because 2/3rd of the time, it can back to band complications, lack of restriction, and overall band failure, NOT patient failure.

With VSG, and RNY, it really does fall back on us and the decision making process in regards to what we choose to eat. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I can easily suck down a 3000 calorie milkshake, and luckily I have the support and knowledge I need to NOT make that decision. I know if I were to get into a bad cycle of food choices, my body would/will suffer. I'll mentally be "off", and I focus on making the best choice, but I'm human, and I really want to make this successful.

Also, if there is not a lot of support, follow-up, I could see how there could be more regain. Surgery is just the first step, it's the continued support, knowledge and coping mechanisms that really give us all the upper hand on keeping our weight off.

That's just my 2cents on weight regain.

Irene- my surgeon has the same stats except he gives a 10-15% regain. By the stats, I've already had the 10% regain from my lowest weight of 119lbs. I will say that I got that low because I was on Wellbutrin and tried to quit smoking, lost all of my appetite on top of not being hungry, and eating was a chore. I purposely gained a little weight. And, now I'm floating around 125-130lb.

I was a deadly statistic being morbidly obese so I don't mind being a part of the 10% regain stat on VSG.

I think self-awareness, and being able to recognize our own triggers is the biggest key to success. Knowing what got us to morbid obesity, and having a good support system in our corner, really gives us the fighting chance to beat the odds on regain.