Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting to Better Myself

I am 24 years old. I graduated from college about a year ago. For the most part I am happy with my life but am hoping to move to a larger city. I am about 260 at 5'2. I know I an very overweight and will eventually have major health problems if I don't do something about it. I also want to look better and be more comfortable doing everyday things, and I do believe unfortunately that some people do judge you on looks. Despite this, for the most part I feel that I have a fairly high self esteem. In my opinion I have a pretty face, and for the most part carry my weight well. I have always struggled with my weight but I gained a lot of weight in college and since. I have tried on several occasions to lose weight, and succeed up to a point, then eventually I ended up gaining it all back and more:( Over the past year I have been considering weight loss surgery, and in the past 2 months have come to decide on the VS:) I am excited for this new part of my life. I have already been attempting to change my diet and exercise according to the doctors orders (however the journaling big is the hardest part for me). I don't know anyone personally who has had weight loss surgery and am looking forward to connecting with people who have:)

ps can anyone tell me how to add the weight tracker things at the bottom of my posts? Thanks:)

*The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results*

Welcome! You are making a great choice with the sleeve. I wish I had it done at 24. Very wise decision! You will find lots of friends here to support you. So glad you are here!

Congratulations on deciding to change your life. I wish I could help you with the ticker. I'm having problems with mine also and I have updates :-)

I am 24 years old. I graduated from college about a year ago. For the most part I am happy with my life but am hoping to move to a larger city. I am about 260 at 5'2. I know I an very overweight and will eventually have major health problems if I don't do something about it. I also want to look better and be more comfortable doing everyday things, and I do believe unfortunately that some people do judge you on looks. Despite this, for the most part I feel that I have a fairly high self esteem. In my opinion I have a pretty face, and for the most part carry my weight well. I have always struggled with my weight but I gained a lot of weight in college and since. I have tried on several occasions to lose weight, and succeed up to a point, then eventually I ended up gaining it all back and more:( Over the past year I have been considering weight loss surgery, and in the past 2 months have come to decide on the VS:) I am excited for this new part of my life. I have already been attempting to change my diet and exercise according to the doctors orders (however the journaling big is the hardest part for me). I don't know anyone personally who has had weight loss surgery and am looking forward to connecting with people who have:)

ps can anyone tell me how to add the weight tracker things at the bottom of my posts? Thanks:)

*The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results*

You are definately making the right decision. I was sleeved Dec 1st and loving it. It is hard work as it a tool for weight loss but you will not be putting the weight back on. I yo yo dieted for 20 years. Everyone is different on how they respond to the surgery and recovery but if you do your reseach and go in with a postitive attitude, you will not fail. :D

Here is instructions for the ticker Tiff posted it a few days ago.

There is not a truly simple way to do BUT I can give you the step by step instructions I followed to get mine:

Click on your Name at the Top of the Forum

A drop down menu should appear. Click MY PROFILE

From there, you'll need to click on CHANGE SIGNATURE.

NOw, open a New Tab or New web browser window and go to www.tickerfactory.com

Make your ticker to your liking with A PIN, so you can edit it later.

Once the ticker is made and you are at the "code" page. HIghlight, and COPY the entire bBcode.

Come back here to where the Blank signature box is, and PASTE that code into the box.

Add whatever other information you'd like, and then hit SAVE CHANGES.

It will give you a Preview of your signature, if it's too your liking, it'll show up on your posts. If you don't like it, change it and save it.

If these steps do not work, contact the site administrator for further technical assistance.

In the future to edit your signature, you can just click on any of your posts that has your signature ticker on it, and you'll need to enter the PIN and edit your weight loss stats. it will auto update if you refresh the web page here.

weight.png

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me. If you want something sugarcoated, go eat a donut.

LapBand 10/01/08 Band OUT, Sleeve done 06/03/09 Dr. Michael Michel M.D.

Highest weight-270, revision weight- 263, goal weight 150 (hit that in 6.5 months with the sleeve alone) current weight- 125lbs and maintaining since April 2010.

You can also find me on Facebook with this link, PLEASE just tell me you are from this site or I will deny the request: facebook.com/sparkleandcharm

This was never an option when I was your age. Bypass was really it....and I'm 36. I would totally have done this if I had the option when I was younger. I had my surgery on 11/29 and I don't regret a thing....best decision I've ever made for myself. You won't find many people who regret it :) Good luck to you!!!!

Hi Gips,

I'm also 24 (birthday was yesterday) 25. I made this decision even though I feel comfortable in my body, because of my health. I am a new mommy and wife and want to do all the things that help us enjoy life. Rollercoaster rides, trips by plane, and a host of all other things. Welcome and I hope to connect with other young sleevers. I am getting sleeved Jan. 22 in TJ with Dr. Rod

Hi! I also felt comfortable with my appearance pre-op (not being fat, just my appearance) -- but my obesity really kept me from doing things I wanted to do physically. I only wish I had done this 20 years ago (I'm 46 now) -- I could have been much more involved with my kids instead of watching from the sidelines. And I guess that sums up my adult life until now -- I have been on the sidelines watching in -- yes, I felt I looked as good as I could, no one ever was mean or cruel to me about my weight, but yet I never was fully engaged.

The sleeve has changed my life -- yes, I'm still the same person, but I WANT to do things, I am ABLE to do things, and I am able to live my life the way I had always wanted to, but couldn't.

Don't hesitate - run and get your sleeve! :)

Thanks for the responses guys:) How are you guys doing to with your sleeves, any complications? Likes/dislikes of life post op?

Hey there! I too had to think long and hard about if this was really something I wanted to do or If I could just do it the "natural" way and came to the conclusion that I could not. Now that Im 6 weeks post op I couldn't be happier with the decision that I made. :D

I started a YouTube channel to document everything that I'm going through and also as a way to help others decide if VSG is right for them.

Hope This Helps

Good Luck with what ever you decide to do. B)

Thanks for the responses guys:) How are you guys doing to with your sleeves, any complications? Likes/dislikes of life post op?

Hi there! Welcome and let me say that being 1 year out, I've not had a complication at all! I'm either very healthy or very blessed. . one of the two for sure. . . i've not been sick either, oh well maybe the odd sneeze here and there but that's it. . . no major problems at all. . . check out my ticker to see how i'm doing . . . cheers and welcome again!

Wow, guys I am even more excited I found this website/blog/thing:) Julie I feel so many similarities to you:) I am even more excited to get started on my surgery! Most of the people in my life have been very supportive so far, all except for my best friend. She has really had me questioning some things and second guessing myself. Reading these blog post has really kept my spirits up, and in the long run I think the support here combined with the surgery will help me live a healthier, longer, skinnier life ;)