Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Dr. Say's NO MILK EVER......

:help: I am reading all these great helpful hints from everyone on what to eat after surgery. recipes with milk, and cream Soups keep coming up. My Dr. says, no milk EVER, breaks down into sugar as soon as it goes down. Adds to SLOW weight LOSS! I can have cheese, cottage cheese, ect.

Was wondering did anyone elses Dr.s advise against milk?

Also NO SUGAR ever. (under 5 grams per serving)

Thanks,

This is a great place to learn ;) Thanks to my friend Pam (the Queen) for showing me !!

Ok, it seems to me that your doctor is a bit contradictory if he's allowing you to have cheese but no milk. I mean...hello...cheese is made from milk. Plus, milk is an excellent source of Calcium, which every woman needs.

Anyway, my doctor is fine with my having milk and milk products, as long as it's in moderation. I have 16 oz. of skim milk almost every morning in my Protein shake.

If I were you, I'd ask your doctor to clarify his recommendations/requirements.

As far as sugar is concerned, you should typically stay away from it. However, as my doctor suggested, don't deny yourself a little treat every now and then.

One of the patients in my "emotional support" group which consisted of all forms of bariatric surgery patients, was gaining weight.

Anyone can defeat any of the surgeries by drinking milk-shakes all day.

Moderation is the key.

Milk and other sugar-laden foods should be avoided to a large extent.

I have no restrictions on milk but am lactose intolerant so I go easy on dairy products. I take a Calcium supplement everyday and LOVE the lite ricotta cheese which is low in calories, high in Protein and tastes great. As for sugar, I don't use it and avoid processed foods.

OMG....:rant: I am just pissed... I know I am suppose to look at the lables of foods, and I am LAZY!!!!!:frusty: *Sigh* ok there is 12 grams of sugar in my fat free milk in 1 frickin serving!!!!!! LOL and I wondered why I felt like I lost my mind 2 days ago after I ate a bowl of cereal!!!! I dont like milk, I think its for baby cows, I only have it in Cereal, nd I only hve Cereal like 2 times month.

Sooooo are there any milk/not real milk products out there that do NOT contain sugar or salt, cuz I am pretty sure that I am going to have to make my own shakes due to my ankles swelling last week when I drank a Glucerna shake. I really feel like I am going to have to shop at Whole Foods soon. LOL As if I can afford that!!!! But I just get so angry about the salt and suger content in foods! It is disgusting to think they are filling food with crap to make money.:yell: ASSHATS!!!

Calm down.

Milk has sodium and sugar in it naturally.

Your body, believe it or not runs on sugar. Sugar is to a human as gasoline is to a car. Your blood is a saline solution, meaning that it is a salt Water solution with red and white blood cells, and many other things dissolved in it.

To coin a "Star Trek" phrase, without sodium and sugar, "Humans would cease to exist".

The idea is not to ingest large amounts of either sugar or sodium. Modern diets which contain "fast food" and processed foods are rife with excess sugar and sodium.

Ask your doctor or his nutritionist (or another nutritionist who works with bariatric surgery patients) to give you a set of guidelines for sugar and sodium intake per day.

LOL sorry , maybe I wasnt clear.... Its not that I m freaked out over sugar, just cuz its sugar.... its because when I eat salt or sugar my legs swell and it makes it difficult to walk... but thanx for the info... I will look into the soy.

You mean that Dairy Commercial about drinking 3 servings of milk a day to reduce belly fat is a lie! LOL

Seriously...I couldn't get my cup of Fiber One Cereal down without my Skim Milk! Lord knows I need that fiber!

Anyway, my doctor is fine with my having milk and milk products, as long as it's in moderation. I have 16 oz. of skim milk almost every morning in my Protein shake.

To THIS semi-lactose intolerant old lady, 16 ounces of milk is my WEEK's supply of what goes in my coffee. (I don't use it in any other context right now.) So, "moderation" can be very subjective. (I would be SOOO sick on 16 ounces a DAY.)

I think it pays to remember doctors have their own biases, misinformation or beliefs on what constitutes a healthy diet - what consitutes perfect human nutrition is not something anybody has the answer to. I think its up to all of us to consider what our doctors tell us, but fit it in with our own personal needs and believes.

But that's the first time I've ever heard that said about milk, other than of course drinking milk shakes all day, too many calories of anything will halt your weight loss. If you ate 25 apples a day you probably wouldnt lose weight.

Do you think that if it were actually true that ingesting milk at all caused no weight loss, then just perhaps it might be public knowledge? I'm just taking a stab in the dark here but gee perhaps dairy/milk wouldnt be part of the food pyramid (whether or not that's correct is a whole nother debeate).

I can see not drinking milk if you're lactose-intolerant, but the lactose in milk actually SLOWS down the quick breakdown in your body. Plus, if you get 1% or 2% or whole it's even slower (though you'll get more calories), so it ends up being a lower-glycemic food choice and you won't trigger that quick insulin response (that fat-storing hormone) that your doctor is talking about. Milk has carbs, but despite that it does NOT quickly break down into sugar. Soy milk has just as low glycemic index as cow milk, also.