Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long until I understand my new Stomach

Hi Folks,

Well I finally got my sleeve yesterday, I'm now drip free and drain free and up and about so things are getting easier already, however I am getting soo many mixed messages about what my new smaller (and obviously quite battered at the moment) stomach realy wants.

I feel quite gassy and bloated, and have been sipping Water and juice today, but I just don't know my limitations and I'm scared to take more than a few sips.

I know i am probably rushing things, but I just wondered how long most people found it was before thy got to grips with the new limitations, and knowing what your body wants?

Thanks

Cx

It takes a while ... and, as soon as you get the current eating stage figured out, your surgeon moves you on to another phase.

Just take it a day at a time. Follow your plan and if something doesn't feel right or you are unsure, call your surgeon. We're glad to help answer questions, but your surgeon can give you the best medical advice.

Congratulations on your new tummy and new life!

Congrats on your surgery. I was on a drip for 3 days, so didn't drink much at all during that time. I doubt you're going to do yourself much harm on pure liquids though. Just sip slowly and that way you can stop if any does start to feel uncomfortable.

I'm 5.5 weeks out and I've scarcely pushed it - I did eat a tiny bit too much once or twice and felt a teensy bit uncomfortable, so just sat it out for 5 minutes and everything was fine. I'm sure you'll do well, just take things slowly! rolleyes.gif

Take your time. SIP slowly. I didn't get the hang of my new tummy for at least 2 months. Just hang in there and you will get the hang of it in no time.

One thing I had to learn was the sensation of full verse of the sensation of I am sitting in a way that my stomach is not allowed full space for whatever to travel. Sometimes I get this really sudden full almost a "backed-up" feeling and I have to sit straight up and tilt my pelvis forward so that whatever is trying to make it through can have the most room to make that turn in the lower part. A few seconds later I feel better.

Just my experience.

Sleeved Dec 29.

It certainly does take time, and I even had a head start being banded prior to my sleeve. Best thing you can do for yourself is to continue to sip slowly and have patience and confidence that you will soon get there.

You're still a newborn when it comes to this. I'm not even teething yet... but we'll all get through this together. :)

It took me a while to know mine again.... I was also sipping tiny sips... now I can take a couple of more or less normal mouthfuls which help quench my thirst a lot more than the sips did. That'll happen in time probably.... be gentle with it, its a major op and you need time to heal without risk of pushing it to leak.

Follow your surgeons meal guidelines and keep hydrated... I took a bottle of Water everywhere with me!

Good luck

Congrats on your new sleeve! I was sleeved on the 27th of Dec. so I am now on the "full liquid" stage. My doctor wanted me to make sure that I don't go over the amount of Fluid I drink at a time and gave me a bunch of medicine cups to drink from. Each medicine cup is 30 ml or 1 oz and I have one of those over a 10 minute period. I even set a timer on my phone to remind myself to drink.

Hi Folks,

Well I finally got my sleeve yesterday, I'm now drip free and drain free and up and about so things are getting easier already, however I am getting soo many mixed messages about what my new smaller (and obviously quite battered at the moment) stomach realy wants.

I feel quite gassy and bloated, and have been sipping Water and juice today, but I just don't know my limitations and I'm scared to take more than a few sips.

I know i am probably rushing things, but I just wondered how long most people found it was before thy got to grips with the new limitations, and knowing what your body wants?

Thanks

Cx

first off, let me say CONGRATULATIONS!!! Soon you will be a new person. . .now for your answer. . . on my part (and this doesn't mean it'll be like this for you) I'm out 1 year now and am now comfortable with my new tummy. . I can actually eat more about 1200 calories well balanced meals. . I can drink sodas, alcohol, Water, whatever i want 8 oz glasses without a problem (not gulping though) I have no problem drinking 64oz of fluids. . .I can eat whatever except steak, that hurts still. . . but it's a learning process. . . you didn't become fat overnight, but your expected to relearn overnight. . .literally. . . it's a learning process and you will eventually learn what hurts from what doesn't. . . just follow doctor orders and you'll do fine. . we are all here for you as well. . .so chat about whatever and remember the only stupid question is the one not asked. . . so ask away that is what we are here for.! Good luck to you!

Congratulations on your new Sleeve, and welcome to a new and better life. Is Gastric Sleeve the most popular WLS out there now, or WHAT? Can't imagine why anyone would want anything else. But like the song says, "Slow down, you move too fast..." it will be a LONG TIME till you fully understand your new teeny tummy. You're only in your first days, so a tiny sip or two, a bite or two, and you're full.

My best advice: DON'T push it, if you aren't hungry don't eat, and don't feel bad about throwing away food. You don't need much right now, after a few weeks you'll start to fall into the patterns.

At 5 weeks out, I can tell you that I am constantly surprised at how LITTLE I can eat... no matter how small of helpings I take, it's usally too much. Think: doll sized portions.

good luck!

Cinderella